BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New member Empty New member Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 pm

ronkol

ronkol
Hello to the group. I just rolled my '95 K75 out of long term storage and in the process of bringing her back to life. So far the only obvious thing is the crankcase breather hose that always
goes south on these bikes. Need to check out the innards on the tank and the usual cleaning and fluid changes, new battery and I'll see what falls off Smile I had to put all my bikes up for
a lot of reasons and now it's time to get back on 2 wheels, the wife made some snarky remark about how long it takes for bones to heal at my age......she doesn't have to come along.
Oh, by long term storage I mean the bike has just over 1k on the clock.

Ron K.

2Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Ron welcome to the forum.
You seem to have a good idea of the things that need attention on a K but have a look through the "so you just bought a K" on the portal page and you may get some more ideas of something you overlooked.
Wow 1K that is low miles I am sure it would appreciate the finishing of the running cycle.
Don't worry about the bones as we age we get a bit more savvy about the things that cause the breaks.
You say Bikes what else have you in storage for a supprise.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   New member Empty RE: new member Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:02 am

ronkol

ronkol
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the howdy and tip, I'll stumble my way through forum usage and hope I don't screw up too bad......old dog new tricks.
The other bikes are a '97 KLR650, rolled out first and added a bunch of goodies, '99 VFR800 need to clean the tank and replace
the fuel pump that turned to goo......I know I drained that tank, famous last words.

Now let's see if my profile is setup right for a signature.

4Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:02 am

Life time member
Life time member
Wow, with only 1k miles on the clock I would be treating that to a full recomissioning inspection service and then ride with a smile Surprised--o:

Welcome along.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

5Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The KLR 650 is a popular choice for the off road work they seem near as bullet proof as the bricks so long as you keep up the timing chains to then or so I have heard.
Many a time I have thought of one myself but with plans for a K1100GS I dont think I will get away with another horse in the stable.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:24 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:
Many a time I have thought of one myself but with plans for a K1100GS I dont think I will get away with another horse in the stable.
Have you seen any of the K75GS bikes built/modified by Paul Rooney?
I had a Paul Rooney R80G/S for a short while (one of those bikes I should have never sold)

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

New member K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 pm

ronkol

ronkol
Thanks, I may start a thread in the renovation section, at least everyone can comment on what I do wrong or right Smile

88KE wrote:Wow, with only 1k miles on the clock I would be treating that to a full recomissioning inspection service and then ride with a smile New member 2410925020

Welcome along.

8Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:14 pm

ronkol

ronkol
RicK G wrote:The KLR 650 is a popular choice for the off road work they seem near as bullet proof as the bricks so long as you keep up the timing chains to then or so I have heard.

The KLR is referred to as the "urban assault vehicle" around here Smile The timing chain is a non-issue as long as you replace the balancer adjuster and spring, also known as the
"doohickey". Mine has been done with a torsion spring and one piece "doo" instead of the Kawasaki weldment. There is another advantage to the KLR, the valve
shims are the same as the K75. Surprisingly very low vibration for a big single cylinder thumper once you get things tweaked.
Rick if you ever get one of these there's a great Yahoo! group with a wealth of knowledge and support.

9Back to top Go down   New member Empty Re: New member Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:16 pm

krambo

krambo
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome aboard Ron - enjoy your time here Wink

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]