BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty WOW - New Tires! Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:12 pm

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
I've been putting it off, for my 1985 K100-RT. The tread on the old Metzelers was okay, but I knew they were older, perhaps 10 years.

This morning I had a pair of new Pirelli Sport Demons installed. WHAT a difference! My news: IF you're putting off buying tires, do those right away - you'll immediately appreciate what feels like a brand new bike.

Fix the other stuff later. Get new tires.

2Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty Re: WOW - New Tires! Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:35 pm

10-ring

10-ring
Silver member
Silver member
Yes sir

I have only changed the back tire so far ,I have the outher one but no time to change it yet.

What a diffrance even with a one tire upgradeWOW - New Tires! 1994076483

3Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty New Tires seem to... Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:28 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I think almost any new tires always seem to feel wonderful! I've got about 1,200 miles on my new Conti Go's and they feel absolutely cushiony after the 12 year old BY's that were on it when I bought it from the scrapyard.
Regards....ibj...

4Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty Re: WOW - New Tires! Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Life time member
Life time member
BadjerJim wrote: This morning I had a pair of new Pirelli Sport Demons installed. WHAT a difference! My news: IF you're putting off buying tires, do those right away - you'll immediately appreciate what feels like a brand new bike.

That pretty well sums up my reaction to an early change of tires too BadgerJim, I couldn't agree more!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

5Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty Re: WOW - New Tires! Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:51 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I don't really notice my tyres going "off" over probably a 12 month period and each time I put a new set on I think wow I should have done this earlier but only too often the scrooge comes out and I try to squeeze a little bit more out of each set.
One time recently I was going on a long trip and knew the set would not do the whole distance but were still good for at least 4000km so I fitted a spare set of rims with new tyres and did the trip then when I got home put the old set back on to get my moneys worth out of them and for the first few days thought whats wrong with this thing its handling like a bucket of crap then realized that it was just the old tyres.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty Re: WOW - New Tires! Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:56 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
88KE wrote:
BadjerJim wrote: This morning I had a pair of new Pirelli Sport Demons installed. WHAT a difference! My news: IF you're putting off buying tires, do those right away - you'll immediately appreciate what feels like a brand new bike.

That pretty well sums up my reaction to an early change of tires too BadgerJim, I couldn't agree more!

aye indeed will

even given you a chance to find out that the rear end shock is shonkie (for want of a better word ) i guess

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty Re: WOW - New Tires! Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:07 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
BadjerJim wrote:

This morning I had a pair of new Pirelli Sport Demons installed.  WHAT a difference! 
Fix the other stuff later.  Get new tires.

New rear Sport Demon here as well....wow!...no...WoW!
Went with the 140/80/17

Oh what fun!
Yep, different bike!

Was thinking about getting some more miles out of the BT45..which looks for now, ok, but am seriously considering going ahead and getting the larger 110 Pirelli front.

Local Louisville BMW dealer, who are nice folks, wanted $45 to change and balance 1 tire.  Balked at the price and found a really neat old wizard fellow in a hole in the wall shop that took the time to figure out a way to make our wheel fit on his balancing machine.  $25...and had a bit fun with him as well...complete hoot this guy was.Smile

Made him take $30...I don't haggle very well sometimes...Smile)

Took the new tire in strapped on the back of the bike...changed it out in the parking lot.

8Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty I found Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 pm

ibjman

ibjman
Life time member
Life time member
I found a local ATV - off road dirt bike type place in Phoenix that mounted & balanced Both my front and rear......(I took the wheels off & carried them to the shop)  and disposed of 3 old tires for $32!

I felt very fortunate. I left an additional $10 tip to be given to the tech who did the work.

I do have a bit of an issue.....I found that at speeds above 85 mph the front wheel seems to Hop quite badley.

Since it did that with the old tyre as well, I'm thinking I may have an issue with the "dampening action inside the forks.

When I overhauled the bike, I cleaned out the sliders, installed new seals & fork oil but did not dis-assemble the internals. Perhaps I should have. Right side fork still leaks ever so slightly, but never enough to even make a drip.
Regards, Ibjman

9Back to top Go down   WOW - New Tires! Empty Re: WOW - New Tires! Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:17 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great result jim .....ride well !!!!!

ibj ,,,did you sight the rims ? are they out of round ?  many are !!!

I tend to go for something a little  thick in the fork fluid ...have settled on 7.5 weight for 2/3 of the quantity and 10 weight for the rest

some prefer lighter grades ...but that might have something to do with the good fit of the lower end of the suspension being still in good condition

just a thought

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum