BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Greetings from Portland, OR Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:32 pm

ltisz

ltisz
Hey everybody,

Stopping in to say hello because I have to! My name's Lee, I'm living in Portland, OR. I got a 1985 K100RS a couple of months back and it is an incredible bike. 72k miles, maintenance records going back to 600 miles. A couple of week after I bought it I changed the oil and took it for a ~1200 mile ride from here to interior BC and back without a single problem.

I've been lurking this forum without registering for a long time and I've picked up a whole mess of great tips about my bike. I have a quick question, though: I just swapped out my front brake pads for new EBC ones. The pads on the left caliper slid in fine, but the new thicker pads were a really tight fit on my right caliper. The pistons are pushed in all the way and I had to get rid of some excess brake fluid, but they're still rubbing up against my rotor pretty tightly, to the extent that rotating my front wheel is pretty difficult. Is it just a matter of bedding them in or is there a bigger problem here?

2Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It will pay to pull the calipers apart and clean any accumulation of crud of the piston as that is what is most likely the problem and it wont let the piston go back far enough.  Don't take chances with brakes. They are the single most important thing you have to give you a long riding career.

I didn't say Hi so now will have to be it Hi!

Last edited by RicK G on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Didn't say Hi to a new member.)

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:43 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard ...

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:56 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great to have you with us and look forward to reading your posts in the technical sections.
Regards,
K-BIKE

5Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:58 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Lee. I too think cleaning the caliper of crud will solve the problem. If it's dragging significantly, it may overheat the rotor and cause it to warp, so do attend to it before riding. The braking systems are too important to take chances with.

6Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:33 am

ltisz

ltisz
An update about my brakes - turns out whoever put my front wheel on last wasn't a big fan of centering it quite right. With the worn-down pads from before it wasn't a problem, but with thick new pads the wheel needed a little encouragement to sit in the middle of the calipers. I loosened the axle, gave it a little wiggle, and it's been riding fine ever since! Thanks a lot for your suggestions, everyone.

7Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:54 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great result
cheers ..

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 am

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Lee, Glad you found this site. I too lurked for a while and found the answers a couple of my questions that some other sites couldn't. If your thinking of going to the national rally in Salem OR, i'll be there and hope to meet in person. Ride safe and enjoy.

9Back to top Go down   Greetings from Portland, OR Empty Re: Greetings from Portland, OR Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 am

Beemer Wheeler

Beemer Wheeler
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome Lee !

2012 Yamaha YFL 381 (Flute)
2005 Yamaha PSR E-203 (Keyboard Synth).
2012 Yamaha 7 HP outboard engine
"Beemer Wheeler" Certified Brick Aviator since July 2013
Ham radio call sign HA5AH
http://h2fuel.mobi

Sponsored content