BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty How to touch up a LT fairing? Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:28 am

K100LT Notts

K100LT Notts
Silver member
Silver member
A week ago, while tired at the end of 3 hour ride, I stopped on sloping ground and then tried to move off in 3rd = Stall and drop :-(

At least I managed to let it down gentle so fairing was not cracked/broken and only have deep scratches on lower fairing edge and mirror housing end from lifting it solo. I still do not know how I managed it but desperation helped as I was alone.

I have taken mirror to auto motive paint supplier and they have matched the colour in a spray can.

As I have never tried to paint the K before I need detailed guidance so I can learn as to the best method of application of Filler, Paint and Laquer (Undercoat?).

Currently I thought -
Sand with fine? paper
Filler (Isopon)
Sand (mini orbital with fine grit) to shape
Wipe with de-greaser wipe and wipe off
Undercoat?
Paint (How may layers? and sand between layers?
Laquer (How may layers)
Polish
Admire result?

You all seem to have this knowledge from your restoration projects so I thought I would seek practical guidance from the experienced to bring it back to an object of beauty again and maybe some good has come if I can master painting.  :-)

2Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:57 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
If you polish the bike and most of us do then some solvent like prepsol is needed to remove any wax or silicon first then sand with 400 grit till there is no shine on any part fill the scratch with spot putty or primer/filler (which is what I use) then fine sand 600 grit till no holes hollows or wrinkles then a final undercoat very light and wet so that it almost shines then dry rub with 600 grit, wipe over with prepsol and dry well then start applying the top coat. Dont get too enthuastic with paint but try to get a gun finish shine (paint is fairly shiny when dry straight from the can). With the paint that has pearlescent and fine metalic you may need to give it extra coats to match the colour, mainly for depth which will show as a slight colour difference in different light conditions.
If you make a mistake then don't try to fix it while wet, let it dry and sand out the sags/runs (we don't want your mates calling you "niagara" do we) and put another coat on.
You may be able to fix just the scratches on the fairing by just spoting it and wetting the paint into the present coat but with a rattle can I think that would be a difficult job for even an experienced painter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:09 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Check your local directories for mobile paint repairs. They seem to be quite common now.

I made the same recommendation to a neighbour who scuffed his car door mirror badly. The bloke who came in a van analysed the paint, mixed up a match in his van and did the repair for twenty quid.

You wouldn't believe it had ever been damaged.

4Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty First painting result Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:27 am

K100LT Notts

K100LT Notts
Silver member
Silver member
I decided to do it myself as part of the fun of running an older bike is adding to my skills.

From my auto paint supplier I got tube of filler, papers 380/600/2000 grits/, de-greasing wipes, paint, clear coat.

I did the filling, sanding, de-greasing, painting, clear coat but was disappointed with result so went back to the supplier for advice.

He recommended re-coating mirror by rubbing down with 2000 grit and re-applying clear coat but raising it from the flat surface I had put it on as the side did not get properly coated the first time. Then rub down with 2000 grit wetted with water with a bit of detergent in it. Then polish with the auto painter's polishing compound (another purchase) before waxing polish.

Did all that - it looks OK for my first attempt :-)

But I know where I can do better next time. So skills partially acquired.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f36/18/15/99/35/imag0414.jpg

https://i.servimg.com/u/f36/18/15/99/35/imag0413.jpg

Last edited by K100LT Notts on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inserting pictures)

5Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:12 pm

CommanderKewl

CommanderKewl
Silver member
Silver member
Its not a bad first attempt..really, ive never attempted such a thing..
.. but really, its the skills learned and working them till you get to a perfectionist mind set...
Maybe thats why my projects languish so long..

Look.... think... open adult beverage....repeat...
Yeh thats it...

Good on ya.

6Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:03 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah thats a pass. Its a bit like welding,I have been doing it for 40years and I have people say that they cant even use a little home welder and my reply, nobody can use a little home welder you need a good welder and same goes for paint. To get the best results you first of all need the best equipment.
So with a rattle can you have done well.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:45 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good job for rattle can
well I recon so ...!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

8Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:22 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Dotheton has a really good reference thread on rattle can paint application.

Rattle Can Bling

Another good online resource for painting and paint correction is the Autopia forums where you can read up on paint correction techniques. There are many how-to articles that detail the steps to be taken to correct flaws.

9Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:31 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
http://www.motorcyclepartsx.com/cheap-motorcycle-painting.htm
The above website gives a great account of why you are going to do heaps of faint coats to get that perfact shine. my experience lead me to ensure I seal coated it before i used undercoat or putty. My paint seemed to lift in short sections so ended up sealing it then doing the paint prep, hope it helps

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

10Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 am

Life time member
Life time member
Very nice Lustre KNotts - I'm impressed!

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

11Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Re: How to touch up a LT fairing? Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:26 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Nice job Notts anything higher than that would require one of those high speed polishers that can burn the polish and paint if not handled with respect you are at the top end of private painters I'd say.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

12Back to top Go down   How to touch up a LT fairing? Empty Paint repair Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:08 am

K100LT Notts

K100LT Notts
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks to all for your comments and advice.

Also it helps to have this forum and a friendly auto paint supplier that does not object to novice questions.

My friends have seen what I can do.  I have been asked to touch up my brother's MX5 and a friend's Corsa. Is this a new line of work?

Probably not.  My skills are not that good but I do have time and patience on my side to attempt these small items.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum