BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty ABS Fun and Games Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:04 pm

K75Dave

Hi All.

I have been playing with the ABS on my 1993 K75RT. It has 107000 on the clock and the electrics are 'interesting'. I have rewound and rewired the heated grips and sorted out the dodgy panel lights. The ABS reset switch has been disconnected with side-cutters and the bulb in the centre warning was missing so I know things were a bit amiss. Refitted the bulb and rewired the switch and now I have a flashing light in the centre of the panel. Reading the fault codes from the system gives me nr 7, dead ABS brain. Call me thick but on all the fora about the ABS system it talks about 2 lights but only the centre one flashes. Can some one show me which is the other one please.

I love the layered electrical diagrams, really useful. (asks quietly), any chance of the ABS circuitry?

Dave.

2Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Sorry about the ABS, but I don't have it on any of my bikes and I don't have any experience about it. To do a layered diagram with ABS means starting from scratch and I don't have the time now. It takes a least 3 weeks to redraw the diagrams. Maybe later in the year...

Bert

3Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:10 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
If you look in your user manual they explain it. ABS1 was only used on K75, K100, and 1993 K1100LT. It's recognizable by the two motor like modulator units mounted adjacent to the footrest mounting plates. A fault is indicated by the ABS light and the bulb monitor flashing in unison. The bulb monitor will be on continuously until the system has tested and monitored the operation of both brake switches and both bulb filaments (tail light and brake light) and then it will extinguish and become the second ABS light.

The primary ABS light (and the monitor light, once its test is complete) will flash in unison until the bike moves off. If they continue to flash in unison after that, there is a fault. If you have left the battery disconnected for any length of time you will probably get a fault #7 upon start up.
Regards,
K-BIKE

4Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:23 pm

K75Dave

Thanks for the comments.

My problem is I have no manual for an ABS fitted K, my Haynes is for the non-ABS. It is perfect for everything else.

I have fault code 7, an analogue meter is ideal for reading the code.

Will refit the box (removed it to make the light go out) and perform a hard-reset as detailed here http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech

Dave.

5Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:46 pm

K75Dave

Well that was interesting.rejoined the ABS reset switch cabling and performed a box reboot, no change. Hey-ho I thought, dead box. Just for giggles, I checked the reset switch - it is NFG. Redid the reboot with a piece of wire in place of the switch and rechecked the fault code - no error, just a steady 10v.looks like my box is just fine. Whilst I was at it, I rechecked all the voltages and resistances and all are in spec, looks I have working ABS. Now for a window in the weather for a road test and see if the flashing red light goes out and then to see why the ABS warning light is not working.

6Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:05 pm

K75Dave

Managed to get out today and yes, as soon as you pull away the centre light stops flashing. It even controls the brakes, had to stop quickly on gravel and I have left a dashed line - I call that a king-sized result for zero cost (my favourite price), and helpful advice. Thanks.
Just need to fix the reset switch, work out why the bottom left warning light doesn't work and fix the hazard switch.Electrickery, don't you love it.

7Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:18 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dave,
Good on you, well done! ABS is a great safety advance and well worth having.
Regards,
K-BIKE

8Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty ABS Pain Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:32 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Resetting ABS2 on early bike

• Locate the diagnostic connector under the seat. Remove it from the blanking plug.
  • Insert one end of 20 cm wire into the middle socket of this connector.
  • Ground the other end firmly to a metal bolt in the area (and keep grounded).
  • Turn on ignition. You should see the lights flash alternately.
  • Hold ABS button down for about 8 seconds. The bottom ABS light will stay on, and the top one off.
  • Release the ABS button.
    If you have successfully reset the ABS, both ABS lights will come on.
    If you have failed to count to 8, or your ground is not good, the top ABS light will stay off.
  • Turn off ignition, remove wire.

Ajays Old Un

9Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:13 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
ABS circuitry as requested.

ABS Fun and Games 250E8ADA

Ajays Old Un.

10Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:59 pm

K75Dave

Thanks very much.ABS working well and I have now fixed the reset switch. Just need to sort the warning light on the bottom right and the bulb warning gubbins - that does nothing but hey ho.
Was going to spend some time in the garage this week but it has been a little bit on the cold side and my garage is a corrugated iron one.I also resoldered the wires to the hazard warning switch, I guessed the wiring but I must have it wrong. I checked my mates 93 K1100LT but his switch has only 2 wires whereas mine has 3. The middle one I presume is common and so is brown.
Happy Christmas to all that have helped me get this far.
Dave.

11Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Dave,
The hazard warning switch has 3 wires. Check the interactive diagrams to see how it's plugged (Click on flashers). The 3th wire is really for the bulb in the switch.

12Back to top Go down   ABS Fun and Games Empty Re: ABS Fun and Games Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm

K75Dave

Crazy Frog wrote:Dave,
The hazard warning switch has 3 wires. Check the interactive diagrams to see how it's plugged (Click on flashers). The 3th wire is really for the bulb in the switch.
I knew you would have the answer!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum