BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty RT Handlebar Mounts. Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:04 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Guys,

Thought I might just raise this subject as a serious safety item worth checking.

Got home from a ride the other day and just as I pulled in the left hand handlebar mount sheared off from the bolt going through the rubber mount. Absolutely no warning just the bars suddenly felt a bit loose on one side. As the bars are effectively held to the forks by one bolt on each side if one breaks they are then free to pivot giving zero steering input. I really don't like to think what could have happened if it had been at any other time.

Had a look on bikebandit's website shows the part is listed at $85 US and in my case I will be replacing both. I have not had a look to see if it can be re-engineered but in any case it will not be a cheap repair but then what is!!

Regards,

Phil

2Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Phil,

It would be quite a challenge to re-engineer it.
The reason why the handle bar is mounted this way is to absorb the vibrations (what vibrations? Mad )
You may be able to install a safety pin on the handle bar holder. The top tee would have to be drilled a bigger diameter than the pin itself.( You don't want all the vibrations traveling to the pins and to your handlebar). the pin would be very loose in the upper tee but would keep the bars in place in case of a screw breaking.

[img]RT Handlebar Mounts. Handle10[/img]

3Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:25 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Bert although I was thinking of a simpler repair that would involve machining a recess in the lower bar holder that would allow fitment of a bolt of suitable strength to replace the broken piece but as I have not removed the bars as yet I don't know how much material there is to work with.

As for vibrations how else do you know the thing is running? lol!

Regards,

Phil

4Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:39 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
I was looking at the ETK, and I don't think my solution would work. It doesn't seem to be enough material to work with.

RT Handlebar Mounts. Handle11

5Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Help needed Mon May 13, 2013 5:18 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, I just broke handlebar clamp (M 8 thread) trying to lift bike on centerstand. If anyone have one for sale, let me know please.

Best regards

Problem solved. Thanks

6Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Mon May 13, 2013 6:22 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I've had both break (one broke one day, the second broke the following day still 300km from Broome in Western Australia) and had to ride with cable ties holding the bars in place to Broome for repairs around 300kms (yes it did work, only the bottom threaded bit had broken off).
If it worries you have a look for a K75S triple clamp, no rubber mounted brackets at all. The bar mountings are cast into the triple clamp itself. The geometry and mounting holes are exactly the same as K100.
The trick is not overtighten the nuts on the bar clamps, some think that tightening the nuts will tighten up the rubber bushes and reduce bar movement but they don't, just causes more stress on the threaded section..
K75 clamps:
RT Handlebar Mounts. Yhst-15102260216258_2260_1824503243

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

RT Handlebar Mounts. K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Mon May 13, 2013 12:18 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Alheng, I am worried about excessive vibrations with hard triple clamp. Do you personaly have any experience with vibs after instalation of k 75 upper clamp?
Regards

8Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
nino wrote:Thanks Alheng, I am worried about excessive vibrations with hard triple clamp. Do you personaly have any experience with vibs after instalation of k 75 upper clamp?
Regards
I've used the 75 top clamp for a few years now. I've never found the vibes excessive, but I really don't think my RS vibes much anyway. Maybe the sidecar soaks them up.

Al

9Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Tue May 14, 2013 4:10 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hi, I just came from ride with new K 75 s hard upper yoke, mounted earlier this afternoon on my K 100 . Didnt notice vibrations, but steering was much firmer, with safer feeling on handlebars. Simply it drive you where you direct the bike. Worth of money (30 euros) Al thanks for advice.
Regards

10Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Tue May 14, 2013 6:55 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
nino wrote:Hi, I just came from ride with new K 75 s hard upper yoke, mounted earlier this afternoon on my K 100 . Didnt notice vibrations, but steering was much firmer, with safer feeling on handlebars. Simply it drive you where you direct the bike. Worth of money (30 euros) Al thanks for advice.
Regards
We're all here to share. That was my finding too, the steering is just much more direct. It makes a huge difference to how the sidecar steers.

Al

11Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Tue May 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
AL-58 wrote:We're all here to share. That was my finding too, the steering is just much more direct. It makes a huge difference to how the sidecar steers.
Al

I may try it too as I find the steering spongy with the original triple tee and a sidecar.
The added steering damper certainly doesn't help as you have to pull harder on the handle bars and this is where you feel the original silent blocks squeezing.

12Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Wed May 15, 2013 4:54 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Another option, if you don't have a K75 top yoke, would be to replace the rubbers with turned alloy or hard plastic bushes.

Just thinking out loud,
Paul.

13Back to top Go down   RT Handlebar Mounts. Empty Re: RT Handlebar Mounts. Thu May 16, 2013 5:08 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
nino wrote:Hi, I just came from ride with new K 75 s hard upper yoke, mounted earlier this afternoon on my K 100 . Didnt notice vibrations, but steering was much firmer, with safer feeling on handlebars. Simply it drive you where you direct the bike. Worth of money (30 euros) Al thanks for advice.
Regards

After three days driving with K 75 S upper yoke I have a much better feeling on front braking.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum