BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Vibration Trivia Question Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:59 pm

BadjerJim

BadjerJim
Silver member
Silver member
I was reading back through fuel injection synchronization, and vibration, and knew this would be a good place to ask:

Did any of the K-bikes (K100, K1100, K1200, K75) have rubber mounts on the engine?  Or was it always on the handlebars/footpegs?

I know early K100 had rubber footpeg mounts, and later models did not.

2Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:53 pm

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
The RS, RT & LT models have a rubber bush in the forward engine mounts. 

The naked versions have solid mounts as does the K75S.

The K1100 has rubber mounted footpegs but a completely different system to that fitted to the early K100s.

3Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:19 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
I love to know just how different a k100 rs,rt,lt would be if all 5 mounts were rubber like the front 2 on the rs rt lt's, I know they design frames to manage vibration but ya just have ta wonder.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
That would mean the rear and front wheels would have a rubber mount between then.  Reminicent of the Norton Comandos with the Iso-elastic mounts on the engine and rear wheel.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
yes it would, you then are at the mercy of the vulcanising merits of the rubber mounts, but would it detract from the ride experienced by all at present or would it improve the experience by lessening the vibes? or just shift them to another entry point. kawasaki had rubber mounts on the GT550 and gt750 from mid 80'sish from what I remember of looking at them at the time, I remember what a badly set up commando was like so wouldnt want that for any of us

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

6Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:54 am

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
There's nothing like riding a bike that's hinged in the middle to test the control of the old sphincter muscles!!!!!

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

7Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:01 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
"There's nothing like riding a bike that's hinged in the middle to test the control of the old sphincter muscles!!!!!"

A mates Kawasaki 350 triple comes to mind...

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:17 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
And my old ram air gt550 also gets the nod

9Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:20 am

the.postman

Life time member
Life time member
Yep. The old kwak 750 H2 "widow makers". The bikes I cut my motorcycling teeth on. Ahh joyous memories.

1985 K100 RS   104EA49840092        #0081788     SILVERish (Madison) Prod. date 05/12/84
1984 srx 600
1986 cbr1000f/h

10Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:30 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
and for post number 800, we can say i've never ridden one of those quackas, my mate wombat has a kawasaki 250 triple twostroke that was fun, i must say the triple twostrokes were or had one hell of a note on the throttle, loved to get the suzuki gt550 screaming, that is also how i found out about the frames wonderful handling failures.

11Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:11 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
K75cster wrote:I love to know just how different a k100 rs,rt,lt would be if all 5 mounts were rubber like the front 2 on the rs rt lt's, I know they design frames to manage vibration but ya just have ta wonder.
Looking at the models with the bushed forward frame mounts, it suggests to me that they are there to deal with vibrations transmitted to the fairing rather than the rider.

The K75S doesn't need them as the fairing is mainly mounted on the headstock in a very different fashion and the two, rear lower mounts (to the frame) have their own rubber bushes.

12Back to top Go down   Vibration Trivia Question Empty Re: Vibration Trivia Question Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:59 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Good point mikep, the naked K's have solid mounts, wonder if any of the boys who removed their fairing had ever ridden a naked K to notice any difference with the rubber mounts new nakeds they greated, maybe too insignificant to notice without the fairing to amplify things

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum