BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Picked this bike up on the weekend and I've started to slowly go through and see what might be wrong with it.  The first owner put 40,000KM on it and then the guy I bought it from did 10, 000KM. 

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0734_zps4d2457a6

I was told by the previous owner that he dropped it once, he said got a wobble doing 50km after hitting a speed bump.  just a scratch on the fairing.  Also he said the ABS does not work.  Yesterday I found out that the rear brake pedal switch was fried and I order a new one.  Today I took out the rear drive shaft and found there was grease it had turned a rusty color on the rear of the shaft and was still white at the front of the shaft

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0736_zpsf8f82831

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0737_zps6293b2ae

Looking over the bottom of the bike and all over the bike it looks in good condition so far, fingers crossed.

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Good looking machine Marty , please don't do a Cafe Racer hack job on it !

JR

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
JR_K100RS wrote:Good looking machine Marty , please don't do a Cafe Racer hack job on it !

JR
I do like Cafe Racer type bikes :lol:I'm more into making the bike into a comfortable trip bike...wider/taller bars and making the bike a bit lighter would be nice, if not I'm sure I will get used to it.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Took Fairing off this morning and removed steering head...wow! 

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0748_zpse7933e50

https://s1032.photobucket.com/user/martyman5000/media/IMG_0746_zpsfec02a1e.mp4.html

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Clean the grease from the front spline and post a photo of it as it didn't look real good to me and the rear spline will need to have ALL the rust removed as that will wear it out regardless of wether it is greased or not.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:Clean the grease from the front spline and post a photo of it as it didn't look real good to me and the rear spline will need to have ALL the rust removed as that will wear it out regardless of wether it is greased or not.
I don't think its rust, its the color of the grease, picked out blobs of it that looked like red soft clay.  I will clean it and post a pic tomorrow.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
The stuff the BMW used to use is red and can look like rust.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Did the steering head bearings yesterday, what a job!  I was putting back the cowl and noticed something odd inside the engine area...mouse nest or birds nest (no mouse poop inside) picture is after I threw it in the garbage so its only the nest not all the other stuff.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0752_zps4a9b9e2e

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Any major troubles with replacing the bearing martyman?, I need to do this on one of my old bikes.
If that nest was at my place it would be full of dead snails, definitely rat problems here.
RT

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Any major troubles with replacing the bearing martyman?, I need to do this on one of my old bikes.
If that nest was at my place it would be full of dead snails, definitely rat problems here.
RT

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
RT wrote:Any major troubles with replacing the bearing martyman?, I need to do this on one of my old bikes.
RT
No bearing was not tough, putting the fairing back and remembering where all the screws go is a pain...

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I've had mine off about 6 times so far fixing things, becomes a doddle after a while to the point of forgetting to tighten certain things only to find out later, Need the missus to hold the fairing after everything gets undone.
Naked bikes always look easy to me, except when it's pouring rain.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Bike is back together except rear brake lever, still waiting for rear brake switch from New Market BMW...Checked valves, with just a touch over 50,000 KM they are right on the edge of some shims to be changed...expected that.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Bought my bike a few weeks back and a few days ago had the ownership put in my name.  The license office gave me a special sticker to put on my plate and gave me ten days to get it certified.  -6 today rode up and got it done, wow was it cold...I really liked the short ride I got to do today, wish I could have gone longer.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0766_zpsfac30e4b

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Well done martyman.
Don't slide off the road anywhere they'll never find you with that color scheme
Looks pretty good..

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Still have not received my refund from BMW dealership after they ordered the wrong part and refused to put back funds on my Visa card. 

Good news is that Beemerboneyard came through quickly and super efficiently and my parts are here.  I'm just choked at how bad my country is at customer service, shameful.  A few days back Toronto had a very heavy duty ice storm, its -11 Celsius outside making it difficult to do work on my bike or my Jeep that needs some attention.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0799_zpsf805bb55

xpc316e

xpc316e
Gold member
Gold member
I can easily understand your reluctance to work on machinery at -11C; many years ago I had the change a head gasket on a Mini on a Saturday night at precisely that temperature, and my hands have just about warmed up.  Picking up spanners and lumps of metal at that temp just sucks the heat right out of your body.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
It's been a very long and boring winter so far and I've made a vow to myself to insulate and heat my garage for next winter. 

The only part that I've changed on the bike is the new rear brake light switch.  A few weeks back I went to start the bike and it just turned over, would not start.  Today was really nice, sunny day so I decided to try again to start the bike and after checking everything I decided to unplug the new switch and right away the bike started.  I did notice the fuel gauge was not working and after unplugging and the bike starting up it went back to working...very strange.

My buddy sent me a link to a couple of links on EBAY for this heated grip kit...less than $10 if anyone wants the links just PM me...bench tested it today and works very well

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years 14-1_zps0f3b1d55

SteveK1

SteveK1
Silver member
Silver member
Martyman, I hear ya about a heated garage.  I'm in SE Michigan, not far from you. I do not remember a winter with this much cold.  We have had ten days (nights or mornings really) so far with temperatures of minus -25C or worse. And setting records for snow.  Kind of makes wanting heated grips a priority.  I'm starting to get a motorcycle-jones, but too cold in my unheated garage to do much on the K-bike.  I do have a heated grip wire to repair and see some tips on a couple of threads.  Let us know how yours work when installed.

Honda CB360T 1975

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Best day ever!  So I bought the cheap ebay heated grip kit and installed it with great success, nice toasty hands today in sub weather as I went for a spin.  Reset the ABS today and it works!  fantastic.  Only shit thing that happened was my mirror flew out and cracked, need to get a new one :  (

k75RT Keith

k75RT Keith
Silver member
Silver member
Might want to invest in some mirror leashes.  So when they fall off again , you don't have to stop and pick up the broken pieces.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
k75RT Keith wrote:Might want to invest in some mirror leashes.  So when they fall off again , you don't have to stop and pick up the broken pieces.
That is a great idea, will do that for sure...thank you.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy, then flexed the mirror open the broken gap and filled it with the epoxy...now the crack is filled and not sharp if you run your finger over it.  when it was not filled with epoxy and I would try and put it back it would flex and give a slight distorted veiw, this should help.Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0881_zps725da7ee

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Made a video of my progress and some questions 

http://vimeo.com/87302589

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Side stand retractor: There's an odd nut on the end of the rod - part 7.  However, many times, even if you tighten it to the end of the threads it still won't retract all of the way.  The easiest fix is to take that nut off and then put a bent washer on under the nut.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years MicroImage.aspx?ImageFileName=dbvis3097524361371330853

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Duck!  will try that in the next few days.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Today went for a ride and was testing out my new heated grips, worked great for an hour and then when leaving a coffee shop a puff of smoke...

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0927_zpscc1d7898

I had noticed when installing the cheap chinese wires were cracking in spots so I've removed all of it and soldered in thicker wire.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0928_zps3f888ecd

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0929_zpsc6777ffe Well you can't expect that for a few bucks including shipping its going to be the best quality stuff...

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Lots of people use the alarm connector found in the relay box to connect accessories. The green/brown wire gives a fused, switched source of power. See the pics below.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Alarm_10
Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Alarm_11
Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Alarm_13

Model Description: K 75RT
Market: Europe
Type: 0565
E-Code: K569
Engine: 3_ZYL - 0,70l (55kW)
Transmission: Manual
Body Color: Polizeiweiss
Production Date: 30.08.1990

Kyle10

Kyle10
Life time member
Life time member
Priceless tip, Klamityboy. Thank you.

Always wondered what that was for...

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Alarm connector?  huh really...I think there is also a connector just for heated grips...but very cool thank you.

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Sorry. Heated grip one is just in front of the relay box. It is about three inches from the relay box when looking from the back and on the left side of the frame. It is square not round. Has a short loop to a flat connector where the switch plugs in. Will take a picture next time I have the tank off. 

In your video you said accessory connector and lots of people use the alarm one for accessories.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
klamityboy wrote:Sorry. Heated grip one is just in front of the relay box. It is about three inches from the relay box when looking from the back and on the left side of the frame. It is square not round. Has a short loop to a flat connector where the switch plugs in. Will take a picture next time I have the tank off. 

In your video you said accessory connector and lots of people use the alarm one for accessories.

Thank you again...today I was going to try and take my tank off to see it and found that to take it off I think I need to remove the whole faring...was trying to get at the two fuel lines and it was too awkward.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
RS tank removal:

1 - Disconnect fuel level sender

2 - Remove left side inner black knee pad.

3 - Remove clips at  rear of tank

4 - Lift rear of tank and pull it back

5 - Undo the two hose clamps on the fuel lines

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Hg_con11

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
-13 outside today, in my garage working sucks...

Finally got the tank off, kept thinking that it had to first slide back and then noticed in a video it lifts straight up.  Lifting it up took some force to get it come out of those grommets.

Searched and searched only found one plug that could not be the right one for the heated grips.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0934_zps76655713

Will keep searching for the elusive Brown/green black wired plug

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0935_zps3d3114c5

EDIT

found the plug!  thanks to Chris Harris again watching his vid about repairing heated grips it gave me a clue to where to look...it was under a large covered plug...good reference for the next person looking for it.  I now need to find out where I can get the male end of this plug.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0937_zpscf340b66

Last edited by martyman on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
As noted in my graphic it may be hidden under tape.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:As noted in my graphic it may be hidden under tape.

Thanks Duck, I hate yanking on or pulling on wires in case I do some damage  Very Happy

The heated grips do not have a fuse on the fuse box?  should I run a fuse?

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Read the text in the graphic I posted above.  The connector gets power from the number 1 fuse.  It's a fused, switched power source. (Which is probably why BMW taped over it on non-HG equipped bikes.)

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Here's a good price on Symtec heated grips. About $40 shipped.  That's what I use.  

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Symtec-Handlebar-Grip-Heater-Kit-with-Round-Rocker-p/4463211.htm

More info here: http://classickbikes.com/ckb.tech/0.ckb.tech.files/symtec/symtec.htm

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
What is this connector leading to? The Heated Grip retrofit kit has a flat connector for the switch that plugs into something a lot like this. (Marked in Red). As Duck says the connector for powering the heated grips might be under some tape

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Photo_10

The heated grips themselves will plug into the male end of the connector below. This is taken from the manual for installing the heated grip kit. If you have something like the male end of the below connector attached to a flat connector similar to the one marked with the red arrow above, then you have found it. 
Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Photo_11
(Sorry the image seems to have rotated 90 degrees, but you get the idea)

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
klamityboy wrote:Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Photo_10

That connector is for the hazard flasher switch.

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
Here's what the HG connector looks like:

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years Hg_con12

94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Duck! I knew if I flailed long enough someone would come to the rescue.  Very Happy

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
Anyone know if its possible to find the male end of that plug?  or just cut it and make a new connector...

Yesterday I 5 minute epoxied the cracks on the lower part of my fairing and found a close match to the paint (wife gave me shit for spraying paint in the basement  :pirat: )

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years IMG_0938_zpseb61907b

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Marty,  When you come by to drop off the tools (this weekend if you want), I can give you a pair of 2-Pole AMP Superseal connectors.  They will be MUCH better than the OEM connectors.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years DSC_0013

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
robmack wrote:Marty,  When you come by to drop off the tools (this weekend if you want), I can give you a pair of 2-Pole AMP Superseal connectors.  They will be MUCH better than the OEM connectors.

Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years DSC_0013
thank you that would be great..I don't think I've ever seen connectors so fancy before.

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
martyman wrote:Made a video of my progress and some questions 

Great video man, nice to see the bike and the slush/ice land you call home! How many months of the year is it like that?

Warm and humid in Sydney here. About 25c today I reckon, lovely.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
floyd wrote:
martyman wrote:Made a video of my progress and some questions 

Great video man, nice to see the bike and the slush/ice land you call home! How many months of the year is it like that?

Warm and humid in Sydney here. About 25c today I reckon, lovely.

This has been our coldest snowiest winter in years...around 5 months its Cold, you can squeeze in lots of riding if you don't mind.  I rode last weekend it was around 0c

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
It has been a weird weather winter on the west coast as well. In Victoria we are typically 3-5 degrees C and raining all winter. Occasional snow. This year we had 10 days of -5 or lower but dry. Even with heated grips it is a cold ride to work. Then we had freezing rain and snow for two days. Now back to +5. 

As my bike is my daily ride, the weather is of keen interest. The "agreement" with "she who must be obeyed" is that she doesn't complain too much about the bits and bobs I purchase to keep the bike on the road and I don't ride when it is white.

martyman

martyman
Silver member
Silver member
klamityboy wrote:It has been a weird weather winter on the west coast as well. In Victoria we are typically 3-5 degrees C and raining all winter. Occasional snow. This year we had 10 days of -5 or lower but dry. Even with heated grips it is a cold ride to work. Then we had freezing rain and snow for two days. Now back to +5. 

As my bike is my daily ride, the weather is of keen interest. The "agreement" with "she who must be obeyed" is that she doesn't complain too much about the bits and bobs I purchase to keep the bike on the road and I don't ride when it is white.

My wife is cool she trust that I'm really careful when I ride.  My brother and I have been on Skype all winter talking (he's in Coquitlam) and its a back and forth who's got better weather to ride when we chat.  I really want to ride out to B.C. in the next few years...working on building a resistance to my fear of heights.  Last trip down to Memphis on my KLR 650 I made a mistake and had to take a very large bridge over the Ohio river...pucker of the butt for a few minutes but I lived.

klamityboy

klamityboy
Gold member
Gold member
martyman wrote:
klamityboy wrote:It has been a weird weather winter on the west coast as well. In Victoria we are typically 3-5 degrees C and raining all winter. Occasional snow. This year we had 10 days of -5 or lower but dry. Even with heated grips it is a cold ride to work. Then we had freezing rain and snow for two days. Now back to +5. 

My wife is cool she trust that I'm really careful when I ride.  My brother and I have been on Skype all winter talking (he's in Coquitlam) and its a back and forth who's got better weather to ride when we chat.  I really want to ride out to B.C. in the next few years...working on building a resistance to my fear of heights.  Last trip down to Memphis on my KLR 650 I made a mistake and had to take a very large bridge over the Ohio river...pucker of the butt for a few minutes but I lived.
My wife trusts my driving ability, it is the other drivers who seem to lose their minds when it snows here. Everyone moves to Victoria from some other place in Canada with lots of snow but for some reason they lose the ability to drive in snow once they take up residence. Plus no-one has snow tires because it only snows once a year  Renovation of a K-100SE that was sitting for years 259495 . Of course every once in a while, like 1996, we really get snow. We had 48 inches in 48 hours. Those summer tires were really useful then.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: