BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bar end removal Empty Bar end removal Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:07 am

Culminator

Culminator
Hi all, I want to repaint my handlebar ends but can't seem to remove the first one. Is there a knack or is it simply a case of unscrewing the retaing screw and using a slide hammer to remove?
Cheers
Mike

2Back to top Go down   Bar end removal Empty Re: Bar end removal Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:14 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
Model would help, some are different.

3Back to top Go down   Bar end removal Empty Re: Bar end removal Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:20 am

Culminator

Culminator
Oops. It's a 1992 K100RS

4Back to top Go down   Bar end removal Empty Re: Bar end removal Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:59 am

MikeP

MikeP
Life time member
Life time member
They should just slide off, leaving the inserts.

I'd start trying to rotate the end weight once the counter-sunk screw is out. Try introducing some releasing agent at the grip end (roll the grip back a little).

If your bike has BMW heated grips, the threaded section of the insert has a roll-pin that stops it coming out but the non-heated grip version may pull the inner tube and rubbers out with it.

This is what is under the weight:

Bar end removal K1%20BMW%20%28136%29-L

The roll pin:

Bar end removal K1%20BMW%20%28140%29-L

5Back to top Go down   Bar end removal Empty Re: Bar end removal Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 pm

kioolt

kioolt
Silver member
Silver member
I seem to remember a different style weight on my 91 K100LT.  I believe that it has a wedge type of arrangement.  With is you would loosen the screw but not remove it and then tap it with a hammer to drive the wedge out of the bar end weight.  I've had them off before but I really don't remember how.  I just remember that it wasn't hard.

Total 422,400 BMW miles

AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA

The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

6Back to top Go down   Bar end removal Empty Re: Bar end removal Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Culminator

Culminator
All sorted now. The bar end weight was pretty fixed into the bar via a bit of surface rust. Took quite a few blows with hammer and chisel to shift it.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum