Silver member
My bike is K100RS '87 it is L-jetronic

http://tchorzewski.net

LifeGuard

LifeGuard
Silver member
Silver member
Ned wrote:

BMW and others have things like that ... you can even get them on e-bay cheaply, but, i know, that this is not as much fun as building one. Smile look for a diagnistic electronic tools ... I forget the actual name.

You mean GS-911?
It's not suit to K100RS

http://tchorzewski.net

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, like that, but L-Jet has no CPU so no error codes.

One can make a nice unit to readout all the critical values for diagnostic purposes (dynamically), but again, our bikes are not going to last forever and the market place is limited if you are thinking about marketing.

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
Guys, and who's got ideas for a case of temp light on after a few minutes normal ride and fan working?

Temperature going up fast hence pump not working fine?

PS love this thread title, I feel it!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Possibly the thermostat isn't opening and so the coolant is just circulating through the bypass and not the radiator.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:Possibly the thermostat isn't opening and so the coolant is just circulating through the bypass and not the radiator.

Thank you Rick, I'm going to to run a drain/flush this morning because there might be air and then I'll give the thermostat a check.

57Back to top Go down   oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 Empty Re: oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 am

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
I have drained and flushed the coolant/water cocktail but nothing changed.

Here's the situation:
Cold engine starts and idling > 5' later the fan starts (while gauge indicates just past the blue bars of cold temp) > a few seconds and red temp light comes up.

I've noticed that in the compensation tank the water is cold, could this all be explained by a faulty thermostat?

PS The gauge wrong read could be because it's listening to a part of the cooling system where there is no hot water running.

58Back to top Go down   oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 Empty Re: oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:02 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I would be looking at the thermostat next.
Place the thermostat in a saucepan of water and boil the water, the thermostat should open before the water boils and be fully open when the water boils. You can raise the boiling point of the water by adding salt if needed.
If it has not opened by the time the water has boiled then it is frittzed.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
Just boiled the thermostat and it opens (stretches out) fine, I assume it's working so now I'm very puzzled on what's the problem with my cooling system. Should I start a new thread maybe?

oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 EoFcFpx

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
I notice it's a 1986 model. Did you check the water pump? If it has the original impeller shaft with a nut holding the impeller to it, then it may have sheared off. Easy to check by removing the plate from the front of the pump.

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
Avenger GT wrote:I notice it's a 1986 model. Did you check the water pump? If it has the original impeller shaft with a nut holding the impeller to it, then it may have sheared off. Easy to check by removing the plate from the front of the pump.

I had to open to plate to get the sensor wiring through, it had lots of dirt like minuscole grovel (mineral from tap water someone used before me?) that I tried to clean away.

I haven't touched the impeller at all and it worked fine until I've done this auxiliary instruments job.

Here's what I've found once removed the lid a couple of weeks ago:
oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 Ms5vdB6

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
sobonatovada wrote:I haven't touched the impeller at all and it worked fine until I've done this auxiliary instruments job.

If the cooling system did funtion as normal until you drained and refill it,
I would guess that you had a airlock in the system.

Fill the system slowly and when it almost full, squeese the hoses several
times to get all air out before topping up.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Another thought too: that's the very early type cast steel impeller. If it's anything like mine was, the bit you can't see is now a solid mass of rust that will be just rotating in the coolant rather than actually circulating it. Motorworks will sell you a secondhand later-type impeller for £4; ask them for the spacer too. Yours doesn't have one. The later impeller is literally a bolt-on fit. My guess is that the nut-shearing problem was caused by the sheer mass of the early impeller.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
What you now need to establish is, is the coolant actually circulating and is it actually getting hot or are the sensors faulty.
The thermostat should block the coolant path through the bypass when it opens.
I spent a few hours trying to find a problem of overheating (not a K) when the sender was at fault and making me think it was really hot when it was barely past normal.

Stickersman

Stickersman
Silver member
Silver member
Before facing the music of a pump rebuild I tried once again to drain/flush and pump air out, then added coolant and water (for a total of about 3 liters) and it seems it's working fine now  👽

Let the engine run for minutes on idle, fan started, no light on dashboard flashed, have then ran for 10/15 mins in the city and still no light came up

Thank you everyone!

PS Although I've noticed the auxiliry instruments for the water temp is at about 1/3 when engine is hot (say after 10/15 mins, air temperature today was 32C) and that's strange, I would expect it at half scale, vertical, upright, in normal running situation, anyone has it on their K100RS and can confirm/report? Thanks

66Back to top Go down   oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 Empty Re: oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:04 am

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Another thought too: that's the very early type cast steel impeller. If it's anything like mine was, the bit you can't see is now a solid mass of rust that will be just rotating in the coolant rather than actually circulating it. Motorworks will sell you a secondhand later-type impeller for £4; ask them for the spacer too. Yours doesn't have one. The later impeller is literally a bolt-on fit. My guess is that the nut-shearing problem was caused by the sheer mass of the early impeller.

The shearing problem has nothing to do with the mass of the impeller, the shaft is poorly designed (weak). 

Sobonatovada, don't even think of removing that impeller until you absolutely have to. The end will probably break off the shaft if you do. Good that you have sorted the problem. You have to pour the coolant in slowly and make sure that you get all the air out.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Inge K. wrote:
sobonatovada wrote:I haven't touched the impeller at all and it worked fine until I've done this auxiliary instruments job.

If the cooling system did funtion as normal until you drained and refill it,
I would guess that you had a airlock in the system.

Fill the system slowly and when it almost full, squeese the hoses several
times to get all air out before topping up.

or fill it whilst on the side stand ...then leave it for a 1/2 hour for the bubbles to rise to the filler neck ?

just an observation

good to hear its working again ...

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
charlie99 wrote:good to hear its working again ...cheers

+1. oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 112350

69Back to top Go down   oh dear and now temp issues k100 rs - Page 2 Empty those **** connectors!... Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Markzz

Markzz
Silver member
Silver member
those **** connectors!... Idea
having recently worked on a korean motor with lots of this type of connector I eventually sussed that by pressing on the wire clip the connector will separate so removing the clip isn't necessary with most of them...

Crazy Frog wrote: There is a wire clip around. You have to get a very small screw driver and slide it under the wire. You then spread the clip apart. This is the same type of clips that you find on the injectors or the idle switch. Better to try removing the clip on the idle switch to see how it works. At least it's accessible. The temperature sensor is difficult to access and if you haven't seen these clips you could work for hours before taking it off.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum