BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:02 am

mnmbh

mnmbh
I hope someone can shed some light on a problem I have. The battery on my K75RT was flat a couple of weeks ago. Took battery out as shown in owners manual and fully charged it. Put battery back in, connected positive terminal up, as I went to put earth connection on, the bike wanted to start even with key out of the ignition.
I know this should not happen can anyone HELP!!!

Thanks mnmbh

2Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Re: Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:49 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
could this be due to an earthing issue elsewhere? I have heard of this happening before.
whilst waiting for better clarification , check all of your ignition earth points and earth leads , may be a possible bare wire somewhere that is earthing itself .
good luck .
also , it may help to connect your earth side of the battery before connecting up to mains power.
I've just jump started my wife's Boulevard this afternoon , and as usual I bridged the Earth ( - side / Black lead) before connecting the red lead.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Starting Problem 10_x_110

3Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Re: Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:38 am

bushyintas

bushyintas
Silver member
Silver member
did you try to start the bike with a nearly flat battery?

If so you may have 'welded' the contacts on the starter relay closed, causing a continual contact even with the ignition off.

k100 RT 1988 #0095723
K100 RT 1984 into Custom Single seat.  #0024503

4Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:48 am

mnmbh

mnmbh
bushyintas wrote:did you try to start the bike with a nearly flat battery?

If so you may have 'welded' the contacts on the starter relay closed, causing a continual contact even with the ignition off.
Yes I did try to start the old girl with a nearly flat battery. Would this also explain why I cannot get any lights horn or indicators to work once bike is started, although instrument cluster appears to be working fine.

Thanks mnmbh

5Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Re: Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:50 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Your starter relay has welded the contacts together  Probably best to get a new relay http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/816.htm   What causes it is when the starter is used with a low battery and because the engine doesn't turn fast the starter draws more current than the relay can handle and the contacts weld.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 am

mnmbh

mnmbh
Thanks for the the help will get a new relay ASAP so I can go for a ride. I only have the basic owners manual and I am unsure where to find the relay, where will I locate the relay.

7Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Re: Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:17 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Lift the rear of the tank and under the black plastic lid is the relay box
Starting Problem Relay_10

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:04 am

mnmbh

mnmbh
Thankyou so much for that I went out to shed and found the relays but I was unsure which relay was what but the diagram you posted I now which one is what

9Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Re: Starting Problem Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:41 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Give the starter relais a few whacks, sometimes it disengages and allow you to 'carry on'.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Starting Problem Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

10Back to top Go down   Starting Problem Empty Re: Starting Problem Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:27 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Check your fuses to ensure you have good clean connections in there, and as you already know how to remove the battery covers on the bike, you will find it easy to use the back end of a screw driver to whack the area beside the starter relay if it stays contacted, that's all we do till the new one turns up, they are fine little points like contacts so a good whack does it. Welcome

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum