BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Hi from Belgium Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Alex1964

Alex1964
Hi, I just bought a K100RS 2 months ago in a reasonable condition but now my first bike is letting me down.  Brought it to a shop but for them it seems more important to sell another bike then try to repair my new old friend.

For the moment, he is not starting, battery is ok (lights work) but there is no ignition even with the fuel pump (constantly) running.

I joined this forum because it won't let down my K100, I really want to fix it and all of you can help me with it  Wink

2Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Re: Hi from Belgium Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:51 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Alex. Welcome to K-world. I'm sure you'll find some good help and advice here from these very Knowledgeable fellas.

Sorry to here your 2-wheeled lady is not feeling the best. You could start by checking out these 2 pages. There are other useful links on the 'Portal' tab above.
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/bike-wont-start1.htm
http://www.verrill.com/moto/newkbike.shtml

Your fuel pump should not be constantly running so this is the area I would begin to investigate.

• Is there enough fuel in the tank?
  • You may be loosing fuel pressure somewhere. Can you smell or see any fuel anywhere?
  • Or not getting enough pressure. Fuel filter may be blocked/water in the tank.

Maybe you could provide a little more info.
The year of manufacture would be helpful. You can find that on the compliance plate rivited to the R/H side frame.
Has the motor been running before? If so how well, would it idle etc etc
Maybe a pic so we can see what condition its in.

Cheers

Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Hi from Belgium Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

3Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Re: Hi from Belgium Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:05 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Alex welcome to the forum.
We have found that usually the bike shops don't know much about the Ks because of age. The mechanics are too young to have ever worked on a K100 and the Ks are too old for it to be worth while having an expensive mechanic work on them. However they are probably one of the longest lived bikes of all time.
As Kaptain Hollister said if you post the model it helps because your bike is right in a transitional era where it could be either of two.  An 8 valve or a 16 valve engine and they are very different for the purposes of troubleshooting. 
If you aren't sure post the frame number and we can then tell you.  I suppose that as you are coming to the end of summer you want to get some riding in.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Re: Hi from Belgium Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:19 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Alex and welcome to the forum.

Do post up the frame number, one can tell a lot from that.

When you say not starting, does the starter work and turn the engine over? The lights will come on even if the battery is a bit low, but the battery may not have enough power to turn the engine over.

Or, does the starter turn the engine over but then the engine will not fire up?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

5Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty K100RS - 1986 Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:43 pm

Alex1964

Alex1964
Hi guys,

thanks for your swift replies  Smile . So my lady is from 1986 with number WB1051403G0053929(01).

Current situation : turning ignition key activates the fuel pump and I can turn on lights, claxon works but neutral and gear indicators are not working. When pushing the green ignition knob, nothing happens.

One remark : the fuel pump has been running always since I bought the K but did not avoid starting the engine very easily (even without choke). I'll try to post some pictures soon, seems not possible to just paste them?

• Is there enough fuel in the tank? Yes
  • You may be loosing fuel pressure somewhere. Can you smell or see any fuel anywhere? No
  • Or not getting enough pressure. Fuel filter may be blocked/water in the tank. Did not check yet

My first thoughts were on an electrical problem. 
PS : when seeing 92KK's remarks, I fell with the bike before it was 'killed', after I fell, I saw the battery indicator, heat indicator and also the speed meter was sometimes not working. wdyt ?

7Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Re: Hi from Belgium Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:35 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Hello, maybe you can check the knob,or starter buton and all wires from it to connection under the right side of fuel tank. Clean it with some deoxit, or wd 40. Try easier first. That was my problem with same symptoms like yours. And try to start with clutch engaged if neutral green light off
Regards

8Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Re: Hi from Belgium Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
From your numbers I find that it is an 11/85 production which makes it an 86 model and was made for the USA market and started out in life as a K100RT and must have been converted to an RS at some time.
First try to start it by pulling the clutch lever in and then push the green starter button. You say the neutral light does not work, the starter relay needs to get power from the neutral light or the clutch switch to work.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Still nothing happens Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:14 am

Alex1964

Alex1964
I tried to start it by pulling the clutch lever in and then push the green starter button. Nothing happens, same as before. I think I'll start with checking the knob, starter button and wiring.

Any other thoughts are still welcome of course Very Happy   

PS : I am on holiday to Italy for 2 weeks as from Monday so please don't got angry if I am not replying to your suggestions !

10Back to top Go down   Hi from Belgium Empty Re: Hi from Belgium Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:52 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member

Try this

Hi from Belgium Upload10

This method gives you the ability to resize the pic if needed. You should select the 3rd link labled Image URL: at step 1.

Alternatively, simply select the 2nd link at step 1. labled Image: and paste that directly into your post.

Cheers

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Hi from Belgium Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum