BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Opinions on which gauges to add Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:53 pm

K100Sprint

K100Sprint
Hi y'all,

I have been thinking about adding some VDO gauges to Max, and I wondered if anybody has an opinion to share regarding what they might have added themselves, or perhaps want to in the future. I like the idea of insetting the following—in a 2-per-side arrangement.

Left fairing:
top: water temp
bottom: volt meter

Right fairing:
top: oil pressure
bottom: oil temp

Thoughts? Questions? Sarcasm?

1985 K100 w/ Sprint fairing
Member BMWMOA #64178
Member GNBMWR #118

2Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:55 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
I wouldn't be too worried about the oil temperature on a water cooled bike and the location for the sensor could end up in quite a discussion :-)

It's all doable. Voltage and water temp very easy (fit sensor in water pump, replacing the drain plug), for the oil pressure you can get a combined pressure sensor/switch (bit of a big thing) which would screw in the place where the pressure switch now sits.

If you list your bike in your signature it's a bit easier to respond.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Opinions on which gauges to add Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:10 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Sarcasm?

On this site?

Voltmeter, water temperature, oil pressure. That'd do me.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:00 pm

K100Sprint

K100Sprint
Cool guys, thanks for the replies and input. I think that instead of an oil temp gauge, I'll put an analog clock in ... especially since the factory digital unit is just a black smudge.

Wish those Fuel+ dealios were still on the market ...

Member BMWMOA #64178
Member GNBMWR #118

5Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:29 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Fuel+ gauge?  Oh, technology has moved well beyond that.  There's a bright young man in the S.F. Bay area who made a computer that gives the rider fuel consumption info among perhaps 10 other things.  It's priced very reasonably too.  I love the one on my K100RS! It was pretty easy to install and has proven dead reliable as well.
  The creator of that computer may well be on this forum too, I'm not sure, but I seem to recall a post from him some time back.

Last edited by brickrider on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

6Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:34 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I have four VDO gauges on my 94 RS:

Fuel
H20 Temp
Voltage
Ambient Air Temp (mostly for winter riding to tell if the temps can ice up the roads)

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

7Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:34 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yep mine is going well but took some time to tune it to a K1100.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

8Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Opinions on which gauges to add Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:11 pm

George R

Brickrider - Do you have any further information about the computer unit you mentioned above?

9Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:56 pm

K100Sprint

K100Sprint
George R wrote:Brickrider - Do you have any further information about the computer unit you mentioned above?

Yes, do tell ...

Member BMWMOA #64178
Member GNBMWR #118

10Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:25 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
Inquiries should be directed to WMAX351, a member of this forum. 
He's the creator; he's the expert.

11Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP

12Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Like to see Pic Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:52 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
duck wrote:I have four VDO gauges on my 94 RS:

Fuel
H20 Temp
Voltage
Ambient Air Temp (mostly for winter riding to tell if the temps can ice up the roads)

Mate , I want to add a oil pres plus a volt to my K1100RS 93/94.

Could you post a picture of where you put yours?
I have replaced the fuel and temp with VDO,
I see you can buy a mini mech oil gauge, VDO.... but I can not find a volt meter as yet.

Id like to see what you have done....

http://www.marksurman.com

13Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Gauges Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:10 pm

Gordon Smith

Gordon Smith
Silver member
Silver member
Marky, try a trip to a good boat chandlery. I needed 2 units myself temp and volts, got them both for half the price of Bmw,Both matched and made by Siemens and marine weatherproof.---Just a thought, Very Happy

14Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:45 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Thanks Guys,

I got all my new Gauges now:-

Fuel
Temp
Oil Pressure (Electrical)
Volts,

I've worked out where to put them _ (I will post photos when done)

I've seen posts where a gentlemen added a oil pressure gauge (capillary). I noted where he took the line out of the block.....

I'm still looking to where to mount my sensor......
any ideas would be good.....

Thanks.

Opinions on which gauges to add Au-log12

15Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
marky .......to me an electrical sender is the wise choice

just a heads up to be careful .
the standard pressure sensor is on the output side of the pump ventricle ...at the bottom of the oil- water pump

you might see 2 sensors down there

one for the temp sender to additional gauges (not the ecu )  the other to the warning lamp in the instruments  ,,,,oil

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
charlie99 wrote:marky .......to me an electrical sender is the wise choice

just a heads up to be careful .
the standard pressure sensor is on the output side of the pump ventricle ...at the bottom of the oil- water pump

you might see 2 sensors down there

one for the temp sender to additional gauges (not the ecu )  the other to the warning lamp in the instruments  ,,,,oil

Thanks Mate,

I'm thinking a branch type set up with the Oil Pressure warning lamp sensor.
Im surprised to have not found this on the form somewhere.... I may not be looking in the right place......
Im also surprised not to have heard back from other members on the cooling fan mod I did (I posted it in the wrong place maybe) - It works super well.
Maybe its just a hot sunny Australia thing - we can not do traffic...... (I can now!)

17Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
"I'm also surprised not to have heard back from other members on the cooling fan mod I did".
Can you post a link to that please Mark and I am interested in where a pressure line was tapped in for the gauge as I don't like being without an Oil Pressure Gauge and also didn't like having a great big sender hanging off the pump and being very vulnerable.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

18Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
RicK G wrote:"I'm also surprised not to have heard back from other members on the cooling fan mod I did".
Can you post a link to that please Mark and I am interested in where a pressure line was tapped in for the gauge as I don't like being without an Oil Pressure Gauge and also didn't like having a great big sender hanging off the pump and being very vulnerable.

Cooling fan Mod,

you will have to scrol down..... you will see my post, pictures etc......

https://www.k100-forum.com/t4903-replacing-the-cooling-fan

19Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I just bought a 9 inch fan and will move the radiator forward about 20mm to accommodate and it drags a real heap of air. See how it goes on the chookie, probably couldn't use it on a regular LT/RS due to clearance on the frame.

20Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Good Luck!

21Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:03 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
even the 7,5 inch quoted as 7 inch   drags a heap more air rick but there are differences in suppliers and design and throughput

good luck

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

22Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
RicK G wrote:I just bought a 9 inch fan and will move the radiator forward about 20mm to accommodate and it drags a real heap of air. See how it goes on the chookie, probably couldn't use it on a regular LT/RS due to clearance on the frame.
https://www.k100-forum.com/t1751-k100-cooling-fan-problem#108416

The above Mod works beautifully.

I can do traffic now...... Opinions on which gauges to add Icon_biggrin 

Enlarge this image
Opinions on which gauges to add 73f1b74c3ce549befb0de19cbcb25d0e

23Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Opinions on which gauges to add D13e55d6ebbb499e0c8e2687f9f71acb

Opinions on which gauges to add 410c381fb37d639220bc63ff542de443

Opinions on which gauges to add 6ada168c71f6857452fe34f2dad507a5

24Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:Sarcasm?

On this site?

And don't forget the tyre pressure sensors too . . . Opinions on which gauges to add 44271

25Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Be made wrote:
blaKey wrote:Sarcasm?

On this site?

And don't forget the tyre pressure sensors too . . . Opinions on which gauges to add 44271
That would be ME looking over my right shoulder when my girlfriend gets on..........

26Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
End result.......

Opinions on which gauges to add 7beef37015ddb68d4bf696bdfb2e4f40
Opinions on which gauges to add 3b5f83a5439bb7d451a1f3f9199fa515

27Back to top Go down   Opinions on which gauges to add Empty Re: Opinions on which gauges to add Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:27 am

Mark K Boy

Mark K Boy
Gold member
Gold member
Be aware - If you replace the fuel gauge with a newer VDO as above you will have to pull the fuel gauge sensor out of the tank and turn the rheostat strip around the opposite Direction as to make good the direction of the needle in the new gauge........

This needs to be done with care and the varnish that is covering the fine wire needs to be removed in order to make contact with the pickup.....

Sand off the varnish off with fine wet and dry paper moving hand in the direction that the pickup will follow.

Then comes the calibration..... bend and test...... bend and test....... bend and test    (the float)

If you have any questions please post......

Opinions on which gauges to add 4c2a79edb0e1936527a57968882a8890

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum