BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   ...from the snowbanks of Montana Empty ...from the snowbanks of Montana Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:55 pm

pisano9

Perhaps it is the Short riding season, marginal weather, beautiful roads and great country that cause me to covet time on the seat of a motorcycle. I manage to push rides in during 8 of the milder months here in Montana. Offers of psychoanalysis and whispers of death wish often accompany comments by the 4 wheeled set and family, but I genuinely find myself happiest when behind the windscreen of my '86 K100RT. When not riding, I enjoy the greasy pages of the Clymer manual and wrenches in the pursuit of making the best better. Call it midlife crisis but I have been riding for 40 years, numerous memorable and favorite bikes, a slight limp and knee from the desert/motocross racing days, many priceless memories and friends. Before the K bike it was 74,000 mi. on an ’81 gOld wing trying to keep up with ST1300’s and CBR’s on annual summer trips to Laguna Seca and beyond.

I purchased this bike, my first BMW, off of eBay last year from a guy in Illinois, sight unseen and only on a fellow Beemer guy's word that it was sound. It had 89,000 miles on it and was in Illinois. The K-bike, Mozart, a.k.a Mo', wintered in his heated garage on a battery tender (better off than a tarp in the pole barn). So on Easter weekend last year I flew to Illinois to meet Mo'. I was told it is bad juju to rename a bike. The "fellow Beemer guy", Keith, is a saint. He picked me up at the airport, fed me pizza and good beer, a bed to sleep in, he even loaned a good book and a waterproof bag to get my stuff home. So Easter morning I head south because it was snowing hard in the northern states between Illinois and Montana. 36F, west wind and winter storm warning, I head for Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho and Montana.

Racing across country, trying to beat weather, on a new-to-me bike was a real adventure. I went through states I had never been in and saw country I want to go back to. Mo’ performed like a knowledgeable old horse teaching a dude how to ride. Touchy throttle, almost running out of gas (I hate idiot lights), wind in NM felt like I got hit with a sheet of plywood, 4 inches of snow on my seat in Ely, NV and worst motel of my life, a jack rabbit the size of an elk (God only knows how I missed it, going too fast, it would have been ugly), friendly smile warm fire hot coffee at Lages Station, NV waiting out a snow shower, the curves of Salmon Idaho, and hwy 93, and no snow on Lost Trail Pass. What a ride!

There is 112k on Mo’ now and we are quite close. I have been from front to rear, lubing splines, changing coolant and lubes, going through brakes, replacing fuel system wiring harness, spark plugs, chasing short through handlebar switches, cleaning starter, replacing rear master cylinder, tires and other little glitches. None of these were emergency repairs, all were suggestions to maintain a high mileage K-bike and was done with the guidance from other K people who have been there before, that I found on the web. I look forward to learning more from those present here.

I have scoured the internet to learn all I can about this machine. I sincerely appreciate the presence of this website and possibilities it contains. Thank you, Bert. I apologize if this is too long winded and promise to keep it short in the future.

Humbly,
Kevin
Superior, Montana
BMWMOA #131966

2Back to top Go down   ...from the snowbanks of Montana Empty Re: ...from the snowbanks of Montana Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:26 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Kevin,

Thank you for your intro.
We are delighted of having Mo joining our club of privileged riders. Despite her age, Mo must be an old lady that has been pampered. I believe that even at her age she certainly has kept all the beauty of her prime time and gives you a lot of enjoyment.

Enjoy this forum,

Bert

3Back to top Go down   ...from the snowbanks of Montana Empty Re: ...from the snowbanks of Montana Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:58 pm

pisano9

Indeed!

4Back to top Go down   ...from the snowbanks of Montana Empty Re: ...from the snowbanks of Montana Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:06 am

green cat

green cat
Silver member
Silver member
This IS an introduction Very Happy Very Happy you made me dream of the landscapes you' ve been riding through... I've never been to North America but it's a project we have with my wife.. just have to wait for our new born baby to be grown up because we want to travel by bike.

5Back to top Go down   ...from the snowbanks of Montana Empty Re: ...from the snowbanks of Montana Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:43 pm

pisano9

Green Cat,
Know that I feel the same of your country. The closest I have come is a three hour layover in Charles DeGaulle International Airport, which I am certain is not a fair representation of your country. Flying over your Alps was a real tease.

The North America is often decribed as Miles and Miles of Miles and Miles. We are spoiled but do not take it for granted. Thanks for the pleasant reply.

Kevin

6Back to top Go down   ...from the snowbanks of Montana Empty Re: ...from the snowbanks of Montana Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:32 pm

green cat

green cat
Silver member
Silver member
You're welcome! Very Happy

In fact you're right, charles de gaule airport is NOT a fair representation of France. I was born in Burgundy, where some landscapes are beautiful and now i live in the south western part of the country, known as the "Lot" or "Quercy". Here are magnificent rides to go for, hills and rivers, old towns and so on.. if you ever come to France, tell me and i would be able to show you some places "out of time"... and as Bert would say, some restaurants ,wine makers and food producers who are on their own "une invitation au voyage" (the aim for the trip)

faithfully,
Renaud

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum