BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Tires for the desert heat?  Empty Tires for the desert heat? Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:30 am

rover17

rover17
Brand new to riding in the heat of Arizona since I recently moved from Chicago. Looking for recommendations on the best tires for the AZ heat since I need tires asap. I am going to be a 12 month rider here for sure. 

Thanks in advance.

2Back to top Go down   Tires for the desert heat?  Empty Re: Tires for the desert heat? Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:00 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
rover17 wrote:..Looking for recommendations on the best tires for the heat since...
We 'suffer' that need here in OZ as well and many members use all sorts of brands. The big names with the best result are Pirelli Sport Demons, Bridgestone Battlax BT45, Michelin Macadam/Pilot Activ, Metzeler Lasertec (ME33/ME55 - are the old names), and a variety of Conti and Avon mixes, radial and bias. You see, it's not going to make much of a difference what brand as they are all up to the task, rain, cold, heat, etc. Check the search engine for tyres/tires and see what pops up. There are heaps of posts about it.

I've used the Metzelers and also the Pirelli Sport Demons when I had bias ply tyres on the bike (in New Mexico and in later in Australia) and now I use Conti Road Attack 2 radials.

Cheers.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

3Back to top Go down   Tires for the desert heat?  Empty Re: Tires for the desert heat? Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:18 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
One thing to do that can help is don't run the tyres at as high a pressure as you do normally, let 2-3 psi out because they get very high pressures at high temperatures and this can wear the centre out very quickly and to add to that hot rubber or whatever it is now days wears a lot faster.  It is a bit of a compromise but I tried it many years ago on the Z1300 Kawasaki on a round Australia trip and it did seem to increase tyre life.
Personally I don't think there is a good answer but travel a bit slower in the really hot part of the day, even 5mph would make a difference to the life and likelihood of a failure.
I have always avoided riding in bad heat mainly because we ride all year and can pick and choose a bit when we do long hot trips.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

4Back to top Go down   Tires for the desert heat?  Empty Super Responces Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 pm

rover17

rover17
Thanks for the great responses.  I would have never thought of running less air pressure.   I will give that a try for sure.   Yes I am going to go with the Pirelli Sport Demons. 

Thanks again and Ride Safe.

5Back to top Go down   Tires for the desert heat?  Empty Re: Tires for the desert heat? Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:41 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day rover17 , always inflate your tyres at the recommended pressure set by the manufacturer , if you run them at lower pressure there will be higher friction with the road plus increased tyre carcass distortion both of which will cause the tyre to overheat shortening it's life , other things to consider are increased rolling resistance which will increase your fuel consumption and lastly effects on handling , check out the www it's all there

JR

6Back to top Go down   Tires for the desert heat?  Empty Re: Tires for the desert heat? Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:03 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
rover17 wrote:Thanks for the great responses. I would have never thought of running less air pressure. I will give that a try for sure. Yes I am going to go with the Pirelli Sport Demons. 
Thanks again and Ride Safe.
On my K-RS with five-spoke wheels I ran the Pirelli Sport Demons at 38-40 front which reduces cupping, and out back 40-44 rear, dependent upon speed, load, road surface conditions and air/road temperature. The original sticker under the seat will recommend pressures far lower than what is advisable today - OK for the day but not any more. The tyre manufacturer will only list the 'maximum' recommended pressure on the sidewall. Modern rubber/silica tyres take air pressures much higher, not to mention the more 'sporting' feel over the road, which improves handling.

Here's what I do: Fill your tyres to your imagined desirable pressure, cold, in the shade. Go for a fast ride with a typical load over the types of roads you'll likely encounter. Stop after 10 miles/16 kilometres and immediately record the tyre pressure. Did it go up more than 10% of the orignal pressure you set them to? If so, you're too low start with; heat, load and speed have all conspired to increase the pressure due to friction. But did it stay the same or increase only slightly under 10% of the original pressure you set? She'll be right, mate.

Opinions may vary.
scratch

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum