BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Triple Tree bolt Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:04 am

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
You guys ever have any trouble getting your triple tree bolt off the top of the fork? Seems the bolt on my bike is rather shallow. Easy to slip and strip if you're not careful.

I have the 32mm socket and an impact driver, but I'm getting not a budge. 

I put some marvel mystery penetrating oil on it this evening to see if it's any looser in the morning. Anything else you'd recommend? I need to get the triple tree plate off to slide some headlight brackets onto the fork.

2Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Re: Triple Tree bolt Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 am

Ghost who rides

Ghost who rides
Life time member
Life time member
Deleted to save embarrasment!

Last edited by Ghost who rides on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Re: Triple Tree bolt Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:31 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day GeorgiaK , you are talking about the big hex nut in the middle of the top triple clamp that the front brake hose passes through ? , what about taking a different approach , leave that nut alone , loosen the 4 allen head bolts that pinch the fork tubes , slid them down enough to get your brackets in place then side them back up ??

JR

4Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Re: Triple Tree bolt Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:46 pm

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
Interesting solution JR! I was worried I would knock something out of alignment if I tried that.

I'm also happy to report that the penetrating oil did the trick and I was able to get the nut off this morning without much fuss. Now if I can get the triple tree to budge, I'll be in business.

5Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Re: Triple Tree bolt Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:07 pm

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
Nah don't worry GeorgiaK , I've dropped my forks out heaps of times , very easy job , just remember to follow the correct process when re-installing the front wheel / axle and you will be right

JR

6Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Re: Triple Tree bolt Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:50 pm

GeorgiaK

GeorgiaK
Silver member
Silver member
Nice! Thanks

7Back to top Go down   Triple Tree bolt Empty Re: Triple Tree bolt Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:17 pm

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
Not surprised if you find that nut hard to budge. The torque setting for it is 59 lb.

I used a strongarm and a pipe on the end to do mine the first time, with a high quality socket.

If or when you need to replace your steering head bearings getting the thing off will be a must.

If me I would do it while you still have the bike out of action, and use a bit of anti-seize nickel paste upon reassembly

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum