BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Hello From Bristol UK Wed May 20, 2015 5:53 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Just like to say hello, my name is Sam and I'm currently living in Bristol in the UK and 23 years of age.

I passed my A2 test here in the UK last July and was lent an ER5 to ride. However as of recently I decided upon a shaft tourer; as I'm doing a trip in Europe this year.

So with my stupid neighbour not knowing how to drive her 4x4 the ER5 has just been wiped out by reversing into and over it. Serious damage; forks,headlight & bracket, clocks, mudguard, dent in the tank as well as the clutch lever being broken. (Not a pretty sight).

I decided to look into the BMW and purchased my first shaft bike 4 days ago (done 100 miles since), took 150 miles to collect (trailer) round trip. It's a 1984 BMW K100RS; 55,000 miles, motad exhaust and koni shock are the most memorable features. Cost me £1050.

Loving it so far, although the side stand constantly popping up is a bit annoying but I'm getting used to it, and I will be looking into new tyres soon.

There are a few things I'm going to add may be posting questions about soon;

1. The right hand indicator has had a bodge with the wiring, took it off the other day and it just fell apart. Sorted this wiring out but still randomly kept cutting out. Had a look at the indicator itself and the bulb is loose in the holder, would it be best just to purchase a new indicator ?

2. I'm going to be adding a cigarette socket, potential fuel gauge. Now my model doesn't have compartments in the front fairing. Are there any other models that would fit, or is it a pure diy job. Don't mind either way, sure the compartments would be better.

3. Also I'm 5ft 10 ish the last time I checked and the screen isn't that good. Sure it's better than a naked bike. However I was considering something taller, are there any models that people would recommend.

Hello From Bristol UK DD76EFFB-1FE9-4325-A3F2-F3987B1DA57C_zpsbftexdbo

Hello From Bristol UK 94653848-5B39-4450-9E39-833A24AF1D81_zpsoucbhimv

Hello From Bristol UK 1598C752-4607-4CD9-93D9-A63A980CBCAD_zpsiiouhwny

Hello From Bristol UK 4ECB01DE-D168-4062-B618-0D74EA14AA02_zpstjrrjgx9
Hello From Bristol UK 66E7ED0D-F60A-4EA4-A0C1-1422A2CE4B3C_zpsqlwjokg8

EDIT: Sorry not really used to this forum so quoting this will bring up extra large images.

2Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Wed May 20, 2015 6:19 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
hi Sam

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the last bike but you will fall in love with the K. That looks a nice one....

Have a look at the 'Portal' page as there is a section there on what to do if you have just bought a K.

A few things about 1984 models.

As far as  I know you cant put the fuel level on those. You have a 7 and 4 litre warning light. The tank was changed in 85 and they are not interchangeable as there are wiring differences.

If the side stand is annoying you there is a boomerang shape plate near the springs and it rests against a pin. On mine I cut the pin so the boomerang shape plate would be over it and the stand does not retract if you do that.

You can locate a charge socket under the seat or in the rear of the seat as there is plenty of room.

I am a fan of RT/LT and don't know too much about he RS screens so someone will have advice for you on that.

If you can put the VIN number in your signature eg 1984 K100RS 0019000 08/84 or whatever you find. Your engine will also have a code like 3284 at the start, week 32 of 1984. Helps the guys set you straight as there are important changes over the lifetime.

Parts supply is very good, Motobins and Motorworks are your friends for virtually everything. Everyone is very helpful and we enjoy some good banter too. Don't be afraid to ask questions, someone will have the answers.

There are a few forum members down your way, some coming over this way in August [booked on ferry to Rosslare Saturday 1st August] so if you like trips and a little camping feel free to come along. Check out the Irish Eccentrics......some live over your way...!

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

3Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Wed May 20, 2015 6:38 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:hi Sam

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the last bike but you will fall in love with the K. That looks a nice one....

Have a look at the 'Portal' page as there is a section there on what to do if you have just bought a K.

A few things about 1984 models.

As far as  I know you cant put the fuel level on those. You have a 7 and 4 litre warning light. The tank was changed in 85 and they are not interchangeable as there are wiring differences.

If the side stand is annoying you there is a boomerang shape plate near the springs and it rests against a pin. On mine I cut the pin so the boomerang shape plate would be over it and the stand does not retract if you do that.

You can locate a charge socket under the seat or in the rear of the seat as there is plenty of room.

I am a fan of RT/LT and don't know too much about he RS screens so someone will have advice for you on that.

If you can put the VIN number in your signature eg 1984 K100RS 0019000 08/84 or whatever you find. Your engine will also have a code like 3284 at the start, week 32 of 1984. Helps the guys set you straight as there are important changes over the lifetime.

Parts supply is very good, Motobins and Motorworks are your friends for virtually everything. Everyone is very helpful and we enjoy some good banter too. Don't be afraid to ask questions, someone will have the answers.

There are a few forum members down your way, some coming over this way in August [booked on ferry to Rosslare Saturday 1st August] so if you like trips and a little camping feel free to come along. Check out the Irish Eccentrics......some live over your way...!

Hello thanks for the reply,

Regarding the Irish trip I would love to do it. I was actually going to do one on the same rough date with a few friends from another bike forum. Unfortunately work has ruled the roost and said that I'm not allowed it off. Otherwise I'd be gunning for it, on my GN 125 I did 800 miles in 4 days without touching motorways including camping. My ER5 I did 500 in one day just for fun around Wales including the Black Mountains. Then I've got the euro trip to do my first ride in Europe which includes Switzerland via France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

Hmm yes I've got the 7 and 4 warning light, it's a shame about the fuel gauge my other bikes (Cb125TDC, CG125, GN125 and ER5) all had reserves which I absolutely loved. Guess I'll just have to keep a better eye on the trip-ometer. No big loss I can spend more money on fuel instead of tinkering.

The side stand is annoying but with my work boots it's not that hard to get down just got to get the knack right. Don't really want to mess with cutting anything off of it, although I'll keep it in mind if I don't get used to it fully.

I'll get the code tomorrow and the vin number, saves going down to the bike right now. I am about to actually order something potentially from one of the sites you mentioned. The old owner lost the key to the steering lock so I'm going have to order a new one. Mad

4Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Sam
WelKome to the forum Mate. I dare say you might well be out youngest member here. Hope you enjoy the K. It's a great machine that will provide great enjoyment and pure pleasure out on the open road.

Others may correct me but I'm not sure the side stand should do that. There was a long discussion here about all that just a couple of months back. Use the Google Forum on the Portal page to find specific posts on forum topics.

There's also been a lot of discussion about the turbulance coming off the screen. In my experience, it's particularly bad on an RT with the screen a bit higher. I've cut mine right down so its only about 300mm above the fairing. Little to no noise now.

The fuel warning light, if it works, is no problem. 4lit light comes on, you got about 40-50 klm to fill up. Out on the open road start looking for fuel when the 7lit light comes on.

Enjoy the ride Very Happy

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Hello From Bristol UK Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

5Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 4:00 am

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome Sam from just down the road. I'm a daily commuter into Bristol and the K is the perfect bike for negotiating that city traffic ....with authority. Sadly there are idiots out there who live in their own steel bubble of ignorance (especially the Chelsea tractor drivers) - sounds like your neighbour may be one of them - lets hope she doesn't do the same to your K.

Looks like you picked up a good bike there. 

Depending on how previous owners treated them an where they kept them, there's always a few problems to sort out when you get your hands on a K. Sadly, lots seem to spend most of their life not being ridden and niggling little problems can occur with lack of use. The good news is, most of these problems are pretty easy to fix and getting stuck in and doing it, really gives you a sense of appreciation and understanding of the bike.

Spares can be picked up reasonably easily and not too expensive - Olaf has mentioned a couple of them and James Sherlock is a good source of new and second hand parts too. EBay always seems to have numerous bits from bikes that people dismember for various reasons.

Your right hand indicator should be simple to fix, with a little patience. You may need to take the switch gear on the handlebar apart to clean up the contacts (watch out for the small components that will leap out and hide from you - there's a post on it somewhere). You don't really need the fuel gauge - nice to have but not essential. I have one, but mostly use the trip odo and the warning light to judge my fuel stops (refilling about every 200 - 210 miles). 

As you know, plenty of good riding on our doorstep - all within easy range be it Wales, Devon, Cornwall, Dorset or just a little further the glorious Emerald Isle. Pity you can't make the trip over to Ireland at start of August, but there will be plenty of opportunities for meet ups. If you are free the weekend of 26/28 Jun there is a small meet down in Cullompton in Devon (see European rides section). It would be great to meet up.

Enjoy.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

6Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 4:07 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I usually get the first flash from the yellow 7l light when the tank will take 10 litres. Steady on is when it will take about 14 litres. Red steady on for a while I get 16-17 litres in. A good average calculation seems to be about 10 miles per litre unless you are flying up motorways.

That side stand feature was dropped on later Ks. In my case I couldn't even get off the bike and was sure it would lead to a fall over very quickly. When you have the bike parked up look at the spring on the sidestand and that metal plate. There is plenty of metal to cut it short.

We also have a weekend in September when we travel up north. Born Again Eccentric lives not too far from you and comes over for it. Arrive Dublin Friday about 5.30 in the afternoon and its a straight and very easy run skipping all the traffic. Date isn't fixed yet. We have generally hunted cheap hotel deals for this as it gets a few more out and avoids bad weather.

Mike D has a trip over organised in October, last year we met up and went to Craggy Island for Afternoon Tea.

I have used Motorworks a lot and find them good. The guys love Motobins too. When you order anything make sure you put in the full information and VIN number and build date.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

7Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Wow nice little group of people we have here, not sure what to say with me possibly being the youngest member Laughing. All I know is that I prefer the older looking bikes and couldn't be bothered with anything like the SV650 for example; it's always the older bikes that draw my attention if I stop.

I've got a few numbers on the bike excuse my naivety guess we have all been there at one point. The numbers are as followed 0013627K100RS and 104EA04848628. I'm guessing that the first is obviously the VIN and that engine number just basically means that the bike was born on the 4th week of 84.

Regarding the side stand I've looked at it extremely carefully with another BMW owner present and he says that the linkage to the clutch was not on this model (or year at least). He might have been wrong but can't see how it could link up even after looking at the other diagrams.

Regarding the screen I've tried dipping my head below the actual screen and get perfect quietness. However as it is situated now and me sitting normally, there is the whirling sound (disappears soon as I duck down as stated so nothing to worry about).

Born Again Eccentric wrote:Welcome Sam from just down the road. I'm a daily commuter into Bristol and the K is the perfect bike for negotiating that city traffic ....with authority. Sadly there are idiots out there who live in their own steel bubble of ignorance (especially the Chelsea tractor drivers) - sounds like your neighbour may be one of them - lets hope she doesn't do the same to your K.

Looks like you picked up a good bike there. 

Depending on how previous owners treated them an where they kept them, there's always a few problems to sort out when you get your hands on a K. Sadly, lots seem to spend most of their life not being ridden and niggling little problems can occur with lack of use. The good news is, most of these problems are pretty easy to fix and getting stuck in and doing it, really gives you a sense of appreciation and understanding of the bike.

Your right hand indicator should be simple to fix, with a little patience. You may need to take the switch gear on the handlebar apart to clean up the contacts (watch out for the small components that will leap out and hide from you - there's a post on it somewhere). You don't really need the fuel gauge - nice to have but not essential. I have one, but mostly use the trip odo and the warning light to judge my fuel stops (refilling about every 200 - 210 miles). 

As you know, plenty of good riding on our doorstep - all within easy range be it Wales, Devon, Cornwall, Dorset or just a little further the glorious Emerald Isle. Pity you can't make the trip over to Ireland at start of August, but there will be plenty of opportunities for meet ups. If you are free the weekend of 26/28 Jun there is a small meet down in Cullompton in Devon (see European rides section). It would be great to meet up.

Enjoy.

Luckily I only live on the outside of Bristol near the Severn bridge I've only been down this neck of the woods for 2 years originally from Stoke - On - Trent. However moved for a fresh start, so far going good and Bristol isn't that bad (although I've only been into the city centre once, that kinda sounds bad).

Yeah I kinda expect a few problems from the bikes that way it saves being let down by something unexpected. So far I've had the indicator incident (been working constantly for now) that will be sorted as I'm doing a mod to the bike fairing hopefully. But I need to see a friend for that situation as he is helping me out with a top box and bracket; two birds one stone etc. The other problem I had was the speedo stopped the other day, didn't bother me my er5 wasn't fully working. That was only after being left out in the rain. So far looking and sounding good.

Yes there is plenty of good riding so far I've explored Wales got to recommend a place called Tintern if you ever go that way. Lovely little road and very nice with twists. Haven't been around Devon, Cornwall or Dorset yet. Just planning (well semi planning a route) that has stopped me. I do look forward on going to Ireland as well sounds like a lovely place. Think my main rides in this and next year will be France, Germany Switzerland, Luxembourg and Spain. That's just joining a friend that is a bike courier. Oh also planning a trip to Poland for some fun as well.

Getting back on track I couldn't see the thread that you mentioned do you know it's exact name or could you post a link ?

92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:We also have a weekend in September when we travel up north. Born Again Eccentric lives not too far from you and comes over for it. Arrive Dublin Friday about 5.30 in the afternoon and its a straight and very easy run skipping all the traffic. Date isn't fixed yet. We have generally hunted cheap hotel deals for this as it gets a few more out and avoids bad weather.

Mike D has a trip over organised in October, last year we met up and went to Craggy Island for Afternoon Tea.

Interesting I'll look into them trips, it all depends on work for me when I can get dates off; September might be the best one though as most people have kids where I work.

I was also considering getting a lower seat, I've got some waterproof motorcycle boots that are awesome (RSt racetechs). I've done 150 miles in serious rain and my feet stayed dry as a bone. At the moment I've switched to my steelies just as they have a bit more sole. Anyone out there able to potentially recommend a good seat. Hopefully similar to the king and queen seats for the gold wing.

Only wondering as arthritis and Raynauds don't work that well with cold wet feet.

8Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 5:17 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard sam

have fun on the k

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Wondered who had bought that old nail. Hello From Bristol UK 652573
Only joking, looks like a solid purchase. Welcome to the forum.
You can pick up a king and queen seat for the K but we call them a 'Comfort' seat and they're made by BMW.
The downside is that they are about an inch higher than the standard. You youngsters know what an inch is, right?
About 25mm.
Very comfortable but, if short in the leg, it can cause problems. The K frame is quite wide at the seat area and can cause difficulty.
There is a low seat option that appears on eBay now and again but that requires permanent removal of the side panels but does get it right down. No idea about comfort levels. Maybe one of our vertically challenged members can advise. Cool
If you are 5' 10" I would just leave the seat height as it is. You'll find that you will develop a technique when stopping as you use it. It takes many miles to truly feel at one with your brick.
Not familiar with the RS but that doesn't look like an original screen. Think the original has an adjustable lip.
Again, take a seat and someone will be along soon that knows what they are talking about.
Ref your indicator. I had a similar problem and cured it by simply putting a new bulb in!
Remember, it could be the original 30 year old bulb. Gotta think differently now.
Fuel gauge! Man up and enjoy the raw technology of two fuel lights. Later ones only had one.
Too much information.
If it hasn't happened already, don't worry about the smoke screen when you start up at some point. It will happen.
They all do that, sir. It's a design flaw and nothing to worry about.
When you pull up, let it tick over for 8-10 seconds before switching off and try to avoid parking it on the side stand for long periods. More embarrassing than anything.
You will find just about anything you need to know on the forum. (and some you are better not knowing)
Just put fuel in it and get on the road. Thats what it's for.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

10Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 5:43 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Sam,
I'm always impressed with the younger generation who jump through all the hoops that try to discourage them from riding motorcycles and get a full license, well done.  Hello From Bristol UK 112350

The early K's had the spring loaded side stand that popped up as soon as the bike was lifted, but, sometime in '85, a mechanism was added that retracted the side stand when the clutch lever was operated. The bits to do this can be retro fitted to the early bikes.

I see that you have an after market front screen that is taller than the standard KRS screen, the standard screen has an adjustable deflector that fits into those small cutaways at the top of the fairing.

And you'll find that different helmets make a significant difference to noise but we can't try a helmet in conjunction with our bikes without buying it. Hello From Bristol UK 61740 

Anyway, enjoy your K and ask as many questions as you like.
Paul.

11Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Sam - don't worry at all about the age thing - age, race, nationality, gender, occupation, wealth, poverty etc. etc. are all totally irrelevant - you have a K and have found your way here and that is all that matters. We do enjoy some good banter, we love to share our K experiences, we certainly enjoy some good meets (all round the world) and know there are some folk we will never meet, but still feel like we know them through the integration on the forum.

Dug out a couple links to relevant posts:

Wind noise with the RS screen:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t9424-wind-noise#111263

Couldn't find the post I was looking for, but this one gives you the general idea about handlebar switch gear:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t174-headlamp-switch-repair#455

Speedo not working:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t5408-speedo-stopped-working#60531

Most problems with most things have been experienced by someone, I've learnt to have a quick butchers at the forum before starting any new job on the bike in order to pick up tips and hints. But if you can't find the answer, just start a new post and usually someone, somewhere will know and happily share their knowledge.

Wales is great for riding - I've had a number of trips around the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia and there is plenty more to explore. A ride down to Durdle Door and Swanage (Corfe castle) in Dorset is a great day out on a summers day (go early in the day before the roads clog up with day trippers and weekend bikers). Devon is good too with a choice of a run along the South coast, Dartmoor, Exmoor and the some nice twists and turns on the north coast road. I've even ridden to Land End in Cornwall and back for a day trip. In a fit of madness, I even rode down to Newquay for a weekends surfing in February a couple of years back. 

The beauty of the K is it will easily eat up the miles and at then end of the day, with hundreds of miles behind you, you can still walk (a comfort seat is highly recommended)! Many a forum member has taken his/her bike out for a short ride to the shops and found themselves taking the long way round.

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

12Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Comberjohn wrote:Wondered who had bought that old nail. Hello From Bristol UK 652573
Only joking, looks like a solid purchase. Welcome to the forum.
You can pick up a king and queen seat for the K but we call them a 'Comfort' seat and they're made by BMW.
The downside is that they are about an inch higher than the standard. You youngsters know what an inch is, right?
About 25mm.
Very comfortable but, if short in the leg, it can cause problems. The K frame is quite wide at the seat area and can cause difficulty.
There is a low seat option that appears on eBay now and again but that requires permanent removal of the side panels but does get it right down. No idea about comfort levels. Maybe one of our vertically challenged members can advise. Cool
If you are 5' 10" I would just leave the seat height as it is. You'll find that you will develop a technique when stopping as you use it. It takes many miles to truly feel at one with your brick.
Not familiar with the RS but that doesn't look like an original screen. Think the original has an adjustable lip.
Again, take a seat and someone will be along soon that knows what they are talking about.
Ref your indicator. I had a similar problem and cured it by simply putting a new bulb in!
Remember, it could be the original 30 year old bulb. Gotta think differently now.
Fuel gauge! Man up and enjoy the raw technology of two fuel lights. Later ones only had one.
Too much information.
If it hasn't happened already, don't worry about the smoke screen when you start up at some point. It will happen.
They all do that, sir. It's a design flaw and nothing to worry about.
When you pull up, let it tick over for 8-10 seconds before switching off and try to avoid parking it on the side stand for long periods. More embarrassing than anything.
You will find just about anything you need to know on the forum. (and some you are better not knowing)
Just put fuel in it and get on the road. Thats what it's for.

Ah damn hmm wonder if one of those old stretchers would work so I can be taller, hmm sure some of you may have been around at the time Wink . Didn't think about replacing the indicator bulb to be honest considering I've had other makes of bikes and they all need bulbs changing constantly; I'll give it a shot.

I'm more confident with the fuel gauge now I'm saying that now I've jinxed myself and will run out on the way to my mothers house 150 miles away on Saturday. I'll be doing about 350-400 miles over the weekend including cat and fiddle as well as Matlock. For those that don't know quite nice roads, cat and fiddle is one of the most dangerous in the UK. Surely that will get me a little used to the bike or I'll never be seen from again. Interesting times.

Don't worry I've been reading this forum and others about the k100, I'm one of them people that would read a game manual before playing it. So I've encountered the smoke situation and unfortunately have to leave the bike on the side stand at night until the ER5 is collected by insurance (small amount of parking). Hopefully it will be ok.

Regarding the screen I think I'll go for one on motorworks FAA50567 is the code for it, tinted and £57.19. Might need some adjustment but I'm sure I could get it to fit. It's just what I think the bike needs at the moment to improve it. Plus other things but I'll put up a separate thread for them once they are done.

sidecar paul wrote:Hi Sam,
I'm always impressed with the younger generation who jump through all the hoops that try to discourage them from riding motorcycles and get a full license, well done.  Hello From Bristol UK 112350

The early K's had the spring loaded side stand that popped up as soon as the bike was lifted, but, sometime in '85, a mechanism was added that retracted the side stand when the clutch lever was operated. The bits to do this can be retro fitted to the early bikes.

I see that you have an after market front screen that is taller than the standard KRS screen, the standard screen has an adjustable deflector that fits into those small cutaways at the top of the fairing.

And you'll find that different helmets make a significant difference to noise but we can't try a helmet in conjunction with our bikes without buying it. Hello From Bristol UK 61740 

Anyway, enjoy your K and ask as many questions as you like.
Paul.

Thanks the new regulations 2012 didn't improve the attitude towards bikes, especially between people on larger bikes and L plater's. I've not got the full licence yet I've got to do my tests again on an XJ600 after July to get a full licence. The hoops to jump through are stupid. I've got stories from that but I won't bore you.

Hmm I'll look into the side stand mechanism retrofitting, wonder if anyone on here has done it Question for now I'll just use the drag down and push backwards method that I was shown by my house-mate who owns a TL1000R.

The screen I guess is after-market I will trust the wise words of yourself and other people here, as I've said above I think I'll be going for that screen. My helmet is a shoei neotec flip front, I generally prefer these as they are easier when filtering and can give a wider range of view.

There is one question I'd like to ask you personally or anyone with a side car, if possible and we do meet up can I have a ride in the car. I've always loved the look of them not ready for one myself. I've been told I was born in the wrong decade; as I like the old bikes and leathers than new sport bikes.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

13Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Thu May 21, 2015 6:31 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Sorry for the double post.

Born Again Eccentric wrote:Sam - don't worry at all about the age thing - age, race, nationality, gender, occupation, wealth, poverty etc. etc. are all totally irrelevant - you have a K and have found your way here and that is all that matters. We do enjoy some good banter, we love to share our K experiences, we certainly enjoy some good meets (all round the world) and know there are some folk we will never meet, but still feel like we know them through the integration on the forum.

Dug out a couple links to relevant posts:

Wind noise with the RS screen:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t9424-wind-noise#111263

Couldn't find the post I was looking for, but this one gives you the general idea about handlebar switch gear:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t174-headlamp-switch-repair#455

Speedo not working:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t5408-speedo-stopped-working#60531

Most problems with most things have been experienced by someone, I've learnt to have a quick butchers at the forum before starting any new job on the bike in order to pick up tips and hints. But if you can't find the answer, just start a new post and usually someone, somewhere will know and happily share their knowledge.

Wales is great for riding - I've had a number of trips around the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia and there is plenty more to explore. A ride down to Durdle Door and Swanage (Corfe castle) in Dorset is a great day out on a summers day (go early in the day before the roads clog up with day trippers and weekend bikers). Devon is good too with a choice of a run along the South coast, Dartmoor, Exmoor and the some nice twists and turns on the north coast road. I've even ridden to Land End in Cornwall and back for a day trip. In a fit of madness, I even rode down to Newquay for a weekends surfing in February a couple of years back. 

The beauty of the K is it will easily eat up the miles and at then end of the day, with hundreds of miles behind you, you can still walk (a comfort seat is highly recommended)! Many a forum member has taken his/her bike out for a short ride to the shops and found themselves taking the long way round.

Wow thank you for the links I'll look into them now, gives me something to do well that and making up my tool roll. I did find out when riding the bike today no rain at night that the speedo is working perfectly again left it at work 8 hour shift come back out working perfectly again. So maybe it's water getting into the instrument. I'll check to see if it happens again and what the weather was like.

I've checked out the list on the portal page and have spares on order. Might as well not wait around. Will have to agree there are plenty of people from all walks of life that come together over one specific thing; and for us it's the beemers.

Yeah Wales is great to ride I've done the brecon beacons (not living that far away its my normal spot) the owls nest cafe at Llandovery is quite nice if you are in that vicinity. Also did Snowdonia and horse shoe pass last year on a wales camping trip lovely place. Thank you for the suggestions I'll look into them and add them to my ride list. It's basically a list of places and recommendations from other people of what to visit.

Due to the K being shaft drive and comfortable for me I don't mind doing large mileage, well as I've said earlier I didn't mind doing large mileage on my other bikes as well. Although saying that I'll have to get a bit more confident with slow speed on the K before I tackle the black mountain again. Does have quite a bit of weight when turning compared to the ER5.

Lexmoto (first bike ever to ride) , CB125 TDC 86 , CG125 89 , GN125 97 , ER5 96 , K100 RS 84

84/01 K100rs 0013627

14Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 10:06 am

Life time member
Life time member
Sam -It looks like you got a bloody bargain. The exhaust and chin spolier would get you back more than half what the bike cost. I like the tooled logo in the saddle. Can I get another pic of that please?

As regards the stand - just be patient on ebay and you'll get that sorted. Lots of help on the forum.

If you do get this way you'll find it cheap to ride due to the stroung £ to € exchange rate....Petrol is equivalent of £1.05 a litre here at present.

Be safe and happy curves.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

15Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 am

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
88KE wrote:Sam -It looks like you got a bloody bargain. The exhaust and chin spolier would get you back more than half what the bike cost. I like the tooled logo in the saddle. Can I get another pic of that please?

As regards the stand - just be patient on ebay and you'll get that sorted. Lots of help on the forum.

If you do get this way you'll find it cheap to ride due to the stroung £ to € exchange rate....Petrol is equivalent of £1.05 a litre here at present.

Be safe and happy curves.

Hello it doesn't like I did too shabby of a job buying it then, even though I had a weird noise coming from the fan today. Think it could be normal listening to what other people have said (all coolant and liquids are at there right levels).

Petrol wise and scenery wise Ireland seems like a lovely place to go. At the moment I'm in a rush to sort out my funds for my euro trip and sorting out my passport. But I will be coming over either this or next year.

Regarding the seat image hope this is ok below Question
Hello From Bristol UK FpXoyHh

84/01 K100rs 0013627

16Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 10:48 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
The fans sometimes fail and cause overheating. I had that happen and all I did was cut the engine in heavy traffic and it ws fine. A bit of a pain to replace them, but you get them used.

When are you planning on going to Europe?

As for the age thing a little research is needed.........Not sure but have a feeling Becky [K100LT and FJR] might have one up on you.....and she is coming over on 1st August too. That's by her own admission. Then up at Monasterevin we have JediGril..........also has a nice K100LT.

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

17Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 12:10 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:The fans sometimes fail and cause overheating. I had that happen and all I did was cut the engine in heavy traffic and it ws fine. A bit of a pain to replace them, but you get them used.

When are you planning on going to Europe?

As for the age thing a little research is needed.........Not sure but have a feeling Becky [K100LT and FJR] might have one up on you.....and she is coming over on 1st August too. That's by her own admission. Then up at Monasterevin we have JediGril..........also has a nice K100LT.

Hmm this noise happens on a journey of about 2.5 miles upwards. I'll give it a look over, haven't got the temperature light coming on though so hopefully it's nothing too big to worry about. Seeing my friend who has owned several bmw's on the weekend so should all be good. My Europe trip is July the 11th -20th. Switzerland via France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany.

Hmm sounds like I may have some competition then, shame I can't make it on the 1st otherwise I would be 100% game.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

18Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 12:21 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Have you a full driving licence for that trip....?

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

19Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 12:26 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Have you a full driving licence for that trip....?

I've got the A2 licence which is a full licence in itself, its just restricted.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

20Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Fri May 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
TheJoker wrote:
... even though I had a weird noise coming from the fan today. Think it could be normal listening to what other people have said (all coolant and liquids are at there right levels)..

Might be worth a closer check  - it hasn't been that hot round these parts lately, so unless you have been riding in very slow moving traffic or leaving the bike running on the stand, I am surprised that the fan is coming on at all. When the fan does run in normal use - it is quite loud - but it is a roaring fan noise rather than a weird noise. The weird noise might mean that something is amiss with the fan and/or its bearings. Unfortunately, getting to the fan is not especially easy (fuel tank & fairing off, radiator off etc.) - not technically challenging, but the dismantling and rebuild does take time. If you do go down this route, then while the fuel tank is off, get some deoxit or other electrical contact cleaner into all your electrical connections and clean up the main earth point under the tank.

If there is a problem with your fan/thermostatic valve/temp sensors/temperature relay/coolant level/radiator cap, then you don't want to be ignoring it - you will have issues on your european trip (where it will be much warmer and I suspect there will be some mountainous roads to slog up and down, so the bike will be working much harder).

If you're feeling flush, you might be wise to pick up this spare fan off eBay (Dai has a post up about the radiator that the same guy is selling):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-K75-Radiator-fan-/131516653947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9f00e17b
Allegedly working (very easy to test if you take a 12v battery with you) and a bargain at £12. The seller is not far down the road from you - just south of Taunton - a quick blast down the M5.

You might also want to look at your radiator cap - they do get scaled up and the seals can swell and block the various ports that allow the coolant to either get sucked from the expansion tank to the radiator or vent excess coolant back to the expansion tank. On casual inspection, everything looks normal (expansion tank at normal level) but have a look at the big fat coolant hose (bottom right hand side) - a tell tale sign that everything is not OK is this soft wall hose looking all sucked in and collapsed (particularly after a ride, as the bike cools down). The following post will tell all you need to know and more:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t8299-radiator-pipe-suckage#97129

As with all things K - the effort is definitely worth it.

21Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Mon May 25, 2015 3:25 pm

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Born Again Eccentric wrote:
TheJoker wrote:
... even though I had a weird noise coming from the fan today. Think it could be normal listening to what other people have said (all coolant and liquids are at there right levels)..

Might be worth a closer check  - it hasn't been that hot round these parts lately, so unless you have been riding in very slow moving traffic or leaving the bike running on the stand, I am surprised that the fan is coming on at all. When the fan does run in normal use - it is quite loud - but it is a roaring fan noise rather than a weird noise. The weird noise might mean that something is amiss with the fan and/or its bearings. Unfortunately, getting to the fan is not especially easy (fuel tank & fairing off, radiator off etc.) - not technically challenging, but the dismantling and rebuild does take time. If you do go down this route, then while the fuel tank is off, get some deoxit or other electrical contact cleaner into all your electrical connections and clean up the main earth point under the tank.

If there is a problem with your fan/thermostatic valve/temp sensors/temperature relay/coolant level/radiator cap, then you don't want to be ignoring it - you will have issues on your european trip (where it will be much warmer and I suspect there will be some mountainous roads to slog up and down, so the bike will be working much harder).

If you're feeling flush, you might be wise to pick up this spare fan off eBay (Dai has a post up about the radiator that the same guy is selling):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-K75-Radiator-fan-/131516653947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9f00e17b
Allegedly working (very easy to test if you take a 12v battery with you) and a bargain at £12. The seller is not far down the road from you - just south of Taunton - a quick blast down the M5.

You might also want to look at your radiator cap - they do get scaled up and the seals can swell and block the various ports that allow the coolant to either get sucked from the expansion tank to the radiator or vent excess coolant back to the expansion tank. On casual inspection, everything looks normal (expansion tank at normal level) but have a look at the big fat coolant hose (bottom right hand side) - a tell tale sign that everything is not OK is this soft wall hose looking all sucked in and collapsed (particularly after a ride, as the bike cools down). The following post will tell all you need to know and more:
https://www.k100-forum.com/t8299-radiator-pipe-suckage#97129

As with all things K - the effort is definitely worth it.

Sorry for the long reply I checked with my friend after doing 170 miles on Saturday with no problem that it was basically just a wine from the fuel pump. He said he had it on his k100 as well and it didn't cause any problems. Since them I've done another 300 miles return trip and a trip to wales.

Developed one problem which is now my indicators act like hazard lights when parked but nothing when moving. Also the horn has stopped working. I'm guessing it has to do with a relay so going have get the haynes out to look into it.

Sorted. Must have had a silly moment, One of the spades was damaged that connects the fuse. Bent the end of the fuse a bit, slotted it in now works perfectly.

Last edited by TheJoker on Mon May 25, 2015 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorted the problem.)

84/01 K100rs 0013627

22Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Mon May 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Just realised who this is, welcome Smiler! What do you think to the brakes so far? Any head shakes yet?

This place is very good, enjoy your stay. Just don't ask about oils or tyres, those threads go on forever and ever and ever and....

23Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Tue May 26, 2015 8:45 am

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Snod Blatter wrote:Just realised who this is, welcome Smiler! What do you think to the brakes so far? Any head shakes yet?

This place is very good, enjoy your stay. Just don't ask about oils or tyres, those threads go on forever and ever and ever and....

Shhh :silent: there are some people on the other forum I don't want to inform that I'm here. The brakes are great compared to the ER5 (that's my only real compare basis) getting a bit of a squeal from the rear so going have to look at that this week. Also locked up the rear the other day changing gear. That was quite fun luckily it was on a straight and I'm used to brakes locking up. On my old CG I had to lock up the brake to get it work.

Regarding the head shakes I get a little bit of it and instruments shaking at about 80 upwards. Not that I'm taking it to that speed, I was just checking on the acceleration.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

24Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Tue May 26, 2015 1:51 pm

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
TheJoker wrote:Shhh :silent: there are some people on the other forum I don't want to inform that I'm here.
Ooookay..

The head shakes at high speed are strange, I would suggest a wheel out of balance or perhaps even flat spots on tyres that have been sat a long time. Have you tried putting more air in the back tyre, if you can?

Good news on the brakes though, some people think they're good and others think they're appalling. Those who think they're bad tend to have cheap cast iron replacement discs though (like me) so maybe they're just crap. The brake pads don't even look half worn after ~12K miles either which is weird considering how small they are, surely something isn't right - too much slipperiness?

25Back to top Go down   Hello From Bristol UK Empty Re: Hello From Bristol UK Wed May 27, 2015 8:18 am

TheJoker

TheJoker
Silver member
Silver member
Snod Blatter wrote:Ooookay..

The head shakes at high speed are strange, I would suggest a wheel out of balance or perhaps even flat spots on tyres that have been sat a long time. Have you tried putting more air in the back tyre, if you can?

Good news on the brakes though, some people think they're good and others think they're appalling. Those who think they're bad tend to have cheap cast iron replacement discs though (like me) so maybe they're just crap. The brake pads don't even look half worn after ~12K miles either which is weird considering how small they are, surely something isn't right - too much slipperiness?

I keep getting hacked by one of the main members over on that site, hence why I'm keeping it quiet. I've put more air in the back tyre however it's due a replacement in the new thousand miles. It's ok but quite old, still deciding which to go for it's got Pirelli's on at the moment.

For me the brake pads seem fine, heck it's been sorned for 2 months so hasn't had that much use until I purchased it. But can't complain about them really; I was having fun chasing a GSXR K6 around some lovely twisties on Sunday. The rider mustn’t of been that good or riding that hard as he was easily caught. However the one time the brakes were needed (stupid mistake) they worked spot on.

84/01 K100rs 0013627

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum