BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty blinker malfunction Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 am

gmaizey

gmaizey
Hi All

The 1991 K100RS is slowly progressing from when it first arrived on the trailer from up north...

https://servimg.com/view/19367170/10

then I did the rear splines....

https://servimg.com/view/19367170/11

https://servimg.com/view/19367170/12

https://servimg.com/view/19367170/13

...but the real issue for this topic is related to in here

https://servimg.com/view/19367170/14

...when I turn on the ignition key the blue relay in the picture (maybe a load shed relay?) is clicking

...when I press the right blinker button both right hand blinker work fine but the blinker cancel button doesn't work

...when I press the left blinker button, the right blinkers work fine but the left blinker also come on and stay on, and the blinker cancel button still doesn't work

I have carefully taken apart the left handlebar switch, high/low beam, horn and left blinker button but there was no change....I will do the same with the right handlebar switch tomorrow

I guess my real question is about the blue relay and if the clicking there is normal or indicates it is Kaput..

2Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty Re: blinker malfunction Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:56 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The blue relay is an ABS relay and will click till the bike starts moving and it does all it's self tests.

For the blinker caper check all the fuses with a meter or better still replace with new fuses. Also this can be caused by a bad set of brushes in the starter, usually just worn out.
The bad brushes prevents the loadshed relay operating because it gets its earth through the starter.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty Re: blinker malfunction Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:00 am

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hello!
Before you take everything apart, have you tried to use electrical contact cleaner spray on the handlebars switches and the contacts under the tank? Spray and move the contacts in and out.
There is a link here in the forum which shows the connection that are used for your issue.
http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/bvogel/K100/download/bike-wont-start1.htm

I hope you find a solution
Cheers espresso

4Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty Re: blinker malfunction Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Life time member
Life time member
Those splines look really good. Was the bike laid up a long time? There are plenty of threads about working over the electrics to bring them back to life with Deoxit . Basically blokes have been opening every connector on the bike methodically, cleaning and conditioning with the deoxit to ensure good contacts. Would be worth doing.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

5Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty Re: blinker malfunction Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:08 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
DeoxIT.

Here... Available at Jaycar. Use the red stuff.

God's gift to K100 owners.

Some people wish for world peace.

Some wish for more money.

Some even wish for a better life.

All that I wish for is that people on this forum spell DeoxIT correctly... Very Happy

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty Re: blinker malfunction Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 pm

gmaizey

gmaizey
Thanks for all the advice it's all most helpful...

This morning I did the RH switch and apart from a minor drama drilling out the retaining screw it's now all nice and clean and reassembled. Easier to do in the morning sunshine than in the evening gloom when I did the LH switch yesterday. Now off to get some DeoxIT from Jaycar and do the ritual corrosion routine throughout the electrical system.... Very Happy

In reply to what sort of life the RS had before me I must admit I don't really know. I bought it from Bundaberg sight unseen on ebay as the price seemed fair and I wanted a challenge.... Shocked . The bike seems quite straight and apart from the usual suspects....leaking rear master cylinder, leaking front right fork seal and a minor but poorly repaired knock to the upper fairing (passes the 4m test though), and now some assorted electrical gremlins it's been fine. It ran ok before I took it apart, started easily etc so hopefully all my "improvements" wont change that.

The pictures I posted of the splines were before I cleaned and re-greased them with some moly paste and they looked even better after the clean, and when I can remember how to post pictures I'll put some more up here. Btw it was such a mission last night posting the original pictures I'll have to go back and reread the ten pages of notes I needed to do it the first time.... Sad

I've removed the fairing and given it a naked (not cafe) look as I want to have the option in the future of returning it to glorious RS specs if I feel the need. It has a cheapy chinese ebay headlight (but looks nicely in proportion), some fork gaiters etc to give it a classic look in my eyes, and along with doing a heap of little fiddly bits and pieces when I don't want to start any major repairs progress is being slowly made...

Anyway cheers for all the advice....

All good so far and progress is on-going

7Back to top Go down   blinker malfunction Empty Re: blinker malfunction Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:19 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
blaKey wrote:Some people wish for world peace.

Some wish for more money.

Some even wish for a better life.

All that I wish for is that people on this forum spell DeoxIT correctly... Very Happy

lol!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum