BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Access to the forum resources Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Early this week, I decided to change the rules of the forum and bumped the minimum post requirement to access the "For members only forum" and "download page" to a minimum of 10 posts.
Why?
I do have a problem with a lot of new users registering to the forum only to get access to the download page. These people usually don't post anything valuable to the community and as soon as they get access to the resources , they are gone forever.

People have worked very hard to collect all the documentation on the download page, and it is only fair to share them with people actively participating to the forum.

In the past, I have made exceptions for few people having a real problem and needing access to the resource. I will continue to do that on a case by case basis.

CF

2Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds reasonable to me.

Even without access to the restricted pages, new members still have access to the legendary generosity of advice and help from the members of the forum.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

3Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:02 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
Support both posts.

4Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Access to the forum resources Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:23 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
I agree, no access to freeloaders.
Oh hang on, that's me at present.

5Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:23 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
You'll be right RT... so long as we Novacastrians can camp at your place on our way south next February 🤡

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Access to the forum resources Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

6Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:52 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Whats on in February?

7Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:00 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
I presumed sunny another Snowy run Bill.... will you be up for that?

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Access to the forum resources Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

8Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Crazy Frog wrote:Early this week, I decided to change the rules of the forum and bumped the minimum post requirement to access the "For members only forum" and "download page" to a minimum of 10 posts.
Why?
I do have a problem with a lot of new users registering to the forum only to get access to the download page. These people usually don't post anything valuable to the community and as soon as they get access to the resources , they are gone forever.

People have worked very hard to collect all the documentation on the download page, and it is only fair to share them with people actively participating to the forum.

In the past, I have made exceptions for few people having a real problem and needing access to the resource. I will continue to do that on a case by case basis.

CF
Holy crap talk about a hijack

Yes Bert I agree with that, one of the other forums I go on vet every post up till 20 and another one to 10 and you dont even see the post till the mods have checked it out.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:53 am

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:I presumed sunny another Snowy run Bill.... will you be up for that?
Must admit to being a bit tongue-in-cheek on that post.  Wink

Definitely on the cards, though the option of March is up there too. Depends on when suits people.

Bill

10Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 5:37 pm

mataide

mataide
Maybe some new K100 owners are still learning about their bike and while they are working to get up to speed by using the resources, they might not feel comfortable yet participating in the forum.

I happen to fit in this category at the current time.

Mike

11Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 5:54 pm

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Mike feel free to join in the banter regardless , it will help in the process of forming friendships . We might be Krazy , but we don't bite .
Cheers Ed.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Access to the forum resources 10_x_110

12Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 5:56 pm

mataide

mataide
Thanks Ed

13Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
mataide wrote:Maybe some new K100 owners are still learning about their bike and while they are working to get up to speed by using the resources, they might not feel comfortable yet participating in the forum.
Mike
The definition of a forum is "a medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged".
The K100-forum has a highly recognized reputation when it comes to members helping others in the most friendly way.
This is not a download site where you get the resource and continue to live on your own. WE EXCHANGE and occasionally become friends !
Over the last 8 years, too many people registered, downloaded the resource and we never heard of them after (or sometimes finding the download on other medias without a credit to the writer.)
Very few posts or questions had been unanswered, and if you have a problem to resolve, the whole community is willing to help you and at the same time help other people with the same problem.
Just ask a question (nothing is stupid as we all have to build our knowledge from scratch) and you may be rewarded with sound advises and maybe life long friendship with other riders.

As a side note we are mourning one of our VIP member. It was hard to type this reply as Rosskko's help and humor will be greatly missed on the forum. He was one of the best ambassador of our friendly corner of the web.
He will stay forever our "cyberspace" friend.
CF

14Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
I am 100% for a raised minimum level of posts in order to belly up and 'feast at the table' as it were. In fact, non-members ('guests') can still pop in for a sticky* and never even have to sign up to avail themselves of the advice, humour and knowledge passed about freely. I see the Admin's change of policy as a necessary step which will hopefully encourage those who are truly interested in our beloved K bikes to join us and share their knowledge. It's a collective; we learn from newbies, too.

*Strine for have a look.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

15Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 7:45 pm

mataide

mataide
CF thanks for your clarification. It did not occur to me that people would take advantage of the site like that. Where I'm from that conduct would be considered disrespectful and poor manners.

I joined the group because it seemed like a good group to be a part of.

Lastly, I would like to offer my condolences to the group for the loss if one of its own.

Mike

16Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon May 30, 2016 7:59 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
mataide wrote:CF thanks for your clarification. It did not occur to me that people would take advantage of the site like that. Where I'm from that conduct would be considered disrespectful and poor manners.

I joined the group because it seemed like a good group to be a part of.

Lastly, I would like to offer my condolences to the group for the loss of one of its own.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I believe that you will enjoy being part of this group and you may become a contributor sharing with future K owners his experience as a "newbie"

Cheers,

CF

17Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Fair Call Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:28 am

Dugite13

Dugite13
Yeah Fair Call Crazy Frog.  Hoping I can be a little better than that.

18Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty New member Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:14 pm

StephenAcworth

StephenAcworth
Hi
I just joined and have read this thread with interest. I am a member of another online community - Early911S Registry - where there is a lot of debate over this issue. 
We have a lot of people who sell parts and literature, but never contribute to the discussion. 
As a newbie, I look forward to contributing, and I also look forward to sharing whatever I can. And I don't think the 10-post rule is onerous at all. 
Cheers!

19Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:32 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
StephenAcworth wrote:Hi
I just joined and have read this thread with interest. I am a member of another online community - Early911S Registry - where there is a lot of debate over this issue. 
We have a lot of people who sell parts and literature, but never contribute to the discussion. 
As a newbie, I look forward to contributing, and I also look forward to sharing whatever I can. And I don't think the 10-post rule is onerous at all. 
Cheers!
Thanks Stephen,
Forcing people to post is also another way to "brake the ice". A couple of simple words like a small introduction where other members reply and welcome you can be an incentive for people to start feeling of being part of the group.

Bert

20Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 pm

StephenAcworth

StephenAcworth
I agree... and I have gained so much from the other online communities I am a member of... some of the guys there have such a wealth of knowledge and expertise and are always willing to help out others... it is a great experience and I hope to participate here as much as I can, given my very limited exposure to K100s... and I look forward to learn a lot too!!!

21Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:22 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
It really doesn't matter to us if someone has "very limited exposure to K100s", as it's not always about the bike. No-one buys a motorcycle and instantly knows everything about it (although we do wonder about Inge sometimes...).

Hell, we'll talk to anyone about anything.

So post away to your hearts content and join in the conversations if you want!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

22Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:42 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I came across one guy here a little while ago who poster in the new members and I was 1st reply then I saw a post from him saying fairly abruptly that what the hell do I have to do to get to the downloads section. I said that 10 posts were needed before certain priviledges were available upon which he put up 9 blank posts and then probably tried but without the password he was not able to get in and I haven't seen him since. Made for a good laugh.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

23Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:19 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
I saw something similar on another forum where someone turned up,  put up stuff for sale asking top dollar which did not sell, had a whinge and promptly departed. It certainly raised comment along the same lines as discussed here.

24Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 am

glennji

glennji
So, posting here not JUST to get my post count up, but ... there's a download section?? :-)

Something to look forward. I don't have a K yet (soon!!!) so hasn't affected me (unless there's a section which tells you how to get the best deal on one of these beauties?). Happy to have a slow learning curve anyway -- too much information would probably scare me off.

But yeah, what, three posts now?

25Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:57 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Hi glennji, keep an eye on this thread and if you can spare the time to drive down to Robertson to meet some of us I'm sure you'll be made most welcome and you'll leave completely convinced that getting a bike (doesn't really matter what type) and joining us is a good move.

Cheers

26Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 am

glennji

glennji
Gaz80 wrote:Hi glennji, keep an eye on this thread and if you can spare the time to drive down to Robertson to meet some of us I'm sure you'll be made most welcome and you'll leave completely convinced that getting a bike (doesn't really matter what type) and joining us is a good move.

Cheers
Sounds good to me!!

I've been watching that one -- I didn't know RossKKo, but I'd be honoured to join the ride. There's a 40th that weekend so it might have to cut it short -- I'll tell my wife I need to test the swag overnight, if I think I can get away with it. (She wouldn't be on this forum, would she?)

We're hoping to move out of the city *some day* -- all depends on cutting the ties, being able to work from home -- and have started poking around the Southern Highlands to find which areas we might like. Had lunch in Robbo (Robo?) last weekend, and were going to check out the "swanky" areas (Exeter, Sutton Forest, anywhere else?) this weekend, but now I've got a bike to inspect and a garage to clean out. :-)

Last edited by glennji on Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total

27Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:23 am

mike d

Life time member
Life time member
Hi,

Buying or just bought a K series, then you could have a look at:

http://www.verrill.com/moto/kbikebuyingguide.shtml

Mike

28Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:31 am

StephenAcworth

StephenAcworth
mike d wrote:Hi,

Buying or just bought a K series, then you could have a look at:

http://www.verrill.com/moto/kbikebuyingguide.shtml

Mike
That's really useful: thanks for posting...

29Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sat May 06, 2017 5:46 am

Michael Sydney

Michael Sydney
Silver member
Silver member
As a newcomer I certainly have no complaints about the "ten post" rule. I will admit though I have already answered many of my questions by growing through the forum postings.

I have in the past contributed to other special interest forums and subsequently found my how to guides distributed far and wide, even translated into Russian Smile

Looking forward to being part of this community.

30Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:18 am

Andrew2

Andrew2
Platinum member
Platinum member
Reading this page is very refreshing. After having an issue with a member on another K site because i was indignant enough to ask a simple question I'm looking forward to participating here.

Cheers
  Andrew

P.S. I didn't even know there was a hidden section Laughing

31Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:37 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Andrew,  

Would you care to name the other site?  Forewarned is forearmed.  

Dave.

32Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:34 am

Andrew2

Andrew2
Platinum member
Platinum member
TacKler wrote:Andrew,  

Dave.
 Hi Dave,
  the other site is absolutely terrific so there's no reason to name it or anything like that. They're all great people there and very helpful just like this place. Just a little misunderstanding with one member who spends too much time on there and here instead of riding judging by his post count Laughing But it's all good and we'll both get over it. 
  We're all here to help each other out and if no questions were asked well.....there would be nothing to talk about I guess Laughing Laughing...and I've got lots of questions Access to the forum resources 652573

Cheers
  Andrew

33Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:12 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
No worries.  Must be the weather then.

34Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Andrew2 wrote:
TacKler wrote:Andrew,  

Dave.
 Hi Dave,
  the other site is absolutely terrific so there's no reason to name it or anything like that. They're all great people there and very helpful just like this place. Just a little misunderstanding with one member who spends too much time on there and here instead of riding judging by his post count Laughing But it's all good and we'll both get over it. 
  We're all here to help each other out and if no questions were asked well.....there would be nothing to talk about I guess Laughing Laughing...and I've got lots of questions Access to the forum resources 652573

Cheers
  Andrew
great attitude  Andrew

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

35Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty new post Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:26 pm

ARbiker

ARbiker
I just got used to how to post at all , downloading  now theres a challenge ,nice to know that information can be saved for later if need be better get some help with that ,now where did that 10 y old kid go with his eye pad, cant think why everyone wants one of those things if you have two eyes better to use em both id say
Happy to have an opportunity to contribute & share the K virus 
Rich study

36Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:00 pm

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
RicK G wrote:I came across one guy here a little while ago who poster in the new members and I was 1st reply then I saw a post from him saying fairly abruptly that what the hell do I have to do to get to the downloads section. I said that 10 posts were needed before certain priviledges were available upon which he put up 9 blank posts and then probably tried but without the password he was not able to get in and I haven't seen him since. Made for a good laugh.

Rick, Guys,
I might have caused that.
Told a fellow that bought a turbo k100 about this site, and it's great resources.
That one needed to post enough to be able to gain access to other info.
Turns out that it was a kid, who doesn't ride, farmed out making that thing run, to others, in a shop in Louisville, Kentucky, USA....while acting like he needed our assistance as a riding forum member.
Axxxxle

Embarrassed me.

I used to jump out airplanes when in my country's service.

Everybody took care of each other then, when going out the C130's doors or walking/shuffling, because the ruck was so heavy, off of the ramp because if it wasn't me watching out for your ass, then it would be you watching out for my welfare.

The same mindset is found in this forum.

Grateful for it.

Apologize if I let a jerk in the door. Smile

Last edited by JimK on Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

37Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
JimK wrote:
Rick, Guys,
Don't worry about it and don't be embarrassed.
You will always find people abusing of your kindness and desire to help.
This will not change the attitude of the forum's members toward new K owners or people in need of support.
We are here to help each others.

38Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I wouldn't lose any sleep over that Jim.
Urrmmm jump out of a perfectly good airplane, I don't suppose you have to be a bit crazy but it certainly would help. Laughing

39Back to top Go down   Access to the forum resources Empty Re: Access to the forum resources Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:28 am

JimK

JimK
Gold member
Gold member
Crazy Frog wrote:
JimK wrote:
Rick, Guys,
Don't worry about it and don't be embarrassed.
You will always find people abusing of your kindness and desire to help.
This will not change the attitude of the forum's members toward new K owners or people in need of support.
We are here to help each others.
Nicely said.
Thanks.
JimK

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum