BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   new cylinders ?? Empty new cylinders ?? Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:08 am

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
hi guys just pondering about my bike and thought of engine ware. as my bike has 140 000 km or about 87 000 miles i think, dose any know if u can get replacement cylinders or is it a new block,, are these availble ??? has my bike got meny km left in it ??
thanks

it was just a thought i dont need em yet.......

2Back to top Go down   new cylinders ?? Empty Re: new cylinders ?? Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:40 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Well, a guy on a Dutch forum opened his block after about the same mileage and you could still see the honing marks in the liners. If the compression check is OK (or even better a leak test) I would leave well alone.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland new cylinders ?? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

3Back to top Go down   new cylinders ?? Empty Re: new cylinders ?? Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:29 am

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
yeah the bike runs fine, just wondering how meny km ppls bikes have on em , or how meny kms b4 the motors have failed. but that sounds pretty good for ware,

4Back to top Go down   new cylinders ?? Empty Engine wear Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:33 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Alex,
I hope I can help set you at ease regarding engine life for your K. You now own an engine which is built using technology not found on other "common" brands.
Cylinders - integral with engine block and Nikasil coated. Nikasil is a trade name used to describe silicon carbide in a nickel matrix. It is electrolytically applied then ground to size. It has advantages as follows - extremely long wearing, low friction, reduces overall engine weight, excellent heat transfer and allows very fine tolerances to be used. Keep the oil and air clean and this material will be virtually indestructible.
During a rebuild it is still possible to lightly hone the cylinder lining, though you need to use a reputable enginge shop with good machine hone.

Crankshaft - Forged steel, hard-chromed and ground. Again, not found in many other applications. This is also extremely long wearing as well as being low friction and extremely high quality finish.

These and other quality engineering solutions are the reason why the K was an expensive bike when new, but hey, these bike wil rune for 500,000 K's if well maintained.

5Back to top Go down   new cylinders ?? Empty Re: new cylinders ?? Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:09 am

ALEX PITON

ALEX PITON
Silver member
Silver member
thank you verry much dennis

6Back to top Go down   new cylinders ?? Empty Re: new cylinders ?? Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:01 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Alex,
All the wisdom says if you use good oil, oil filters, proper BMW air filters and chase the oil at the recommended intervals you are looking at very very long lifetimes for the engine. If your compressions are OK just keep up the maintenance and riding.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum