BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


SniperX

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Need to know what all has to come off so I don't over do it or remove bits that don't need to be removed. Is there a write up or a video where someone shows the process? I have all the parts.


__________________________________________________
1972 BMW 3.0CSL, 1985 BMW Dinan 535i, 2001 Honda XR400R (plated), 1985 K100RT, 2004 ZX3 Focus, 1991 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4. 1977 Plymouth Trailduster 35K original miles!
    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Drain coolant.
Remove fairing lowers and radiator panel.
Remove the gas tank and unplug the fan connector under the left side of the tank.
Undo hose clamps on all hoses going into the radiator.
Remove 5mm Allen bolt that holds the top of the radiator to the frame.
Rotate the top of the radiator forward and down until it comes off of the rubbers at the bottom of it.
Remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the fan to the radiator and then pop the top of the fan off of the rubber at the top.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

SniperX

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:Drain coolant.
Remove fairing lowers and radiator panel.
Remove the gas tank and unplug the fan connector under the left side of the tank.
Undo hose clamps on all hoses going into the radiator.
Remove 5mm Allen bolt that holds the top of the radiator to the frame.
Rotate the top of the radiator forward and down until it comes off of the rubbers at the bottom of it.
Remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the fan to the radiator and then pop the top of the fan off of the rubber at the top.
Wow sounds easy thanks again Duck!

Cheers!!


__________________________________________________
1972 BMW 3.0CSL, 1985 BMW Dinan 535i, 2001 Honda XR400R (plated), 1985 K100RT, 2004 ZX3 Focus, 1991 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4. 1977 Plymouth Trailduster 35K original miles!
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Still in the process of getting my new fan and overide switches for it hooked up, was hoping I could start the bike up with the radiator off and airintake box loosely attached along with the gas tank and FICU hooked up but it didn't start , any obvious reason this won't work ? Wanted to try the circuit out for the switches before hand

    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
You want to a run a motor without any coolant in it? affraid


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Was under the impression a minute or so would be ok , is that terribly wrong?

    

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Flip2 wrote:Was under the impression a minute or so would be ok . . .
Where did you get that impression?


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 60,000 miles
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
i saw something online that said in theory a small amount of time wouldn't do damage(car engine) but although they didn't recommend it and I also asked someone( not that they are Bmw bike mechanics) who is familiar with engines . what damage might happen if run for that amount of time , ?

my bike never started (which sounds might be a good thing) but curious why it didn't ?


    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Just firing up and killing it immediately won't be a problem, but perhaps the temperature sensor without water was reading as an overheat situation which will then prevent start up.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 87,100 miles
1997 K1100LT 58,000 miles
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Ok that's a relief thanks , I guess I'll have to reassemble the cooling system first

    

Laitch

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Flip2 wrote:i saw something online that said in theory a small amount of time wouldn't do damage(car engine). . .
my bike never started (which sounds might be a good thing) but curious why it didn't ?
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced you should do it and let us know the outcome. There's always the risk that you'll cook the engine and be without a ride until you get a replacement, but that's the price of experimentation. It's not nearly the risk that adventurers like Alan Shepard, Ernest Shackleton, and Larry Walters undertook.

As far as the engine's not starting, that likely to be the result of your having components in various stages of disassembly.


__________________________________________________
1995 K75T 60,000 miles
    

Born Again Eccentric

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
SniperX wrote:
duck wrote:Drain coolant.
Remove fairing lowers and radiator panel.
Remove the gas tank and unplug the fan connector under the left side of the tank.
Undo hose clamps on all hoses going into the radiator.
Remove 5mm Allen bolt that holds the top of the radiator to the frame.
Rotate the top of the radiator forward and down until it comes off of the rubbers at the bottom of it.
Remove the two screws that hold the bottom of the fan to the radiator and then pop the top of the fan off of the rubber at the top.
Wow sounds easy thanks again Duck!

Cheers!!
Pretty much like Duck says - and fairly easy to do the removal. The top allen bolt is normally hidden by the rubber mounting block at the top of the radiator, but it is easily moved aside. Those two fan mounting screws can be a sod to remove (I had to drill mine out as they were solid, even with liberal does of penetrating fluid).

While you're in there, it's worth removing the temperature sensor and cleaning it and its electrical connections. Also take the time to clean the radiator cap to make sure it's working properly.

Reassembly of the radiator and fairings is a bit of a PITA - getting everything lined up takes a little patience.(especially getting the grommets on the front brake hose and ABS sensor wire (if you have ABS) back into the crooked slot on the radiator fairing.


__________________________________________________

Paul

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Was thinking of wiring up my led indicator directly to to the new fan wire since I'm already splicing the old connector back to the fan , my question is the fan wire is roughly 18 awg and the led wire is 22awg is there a hazard in doing this ? shorter life to led or fire hazard? Would prefer to know when ever the fan is on.

    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
You will hear the fan kicking in....invested in a nice new one a few months ago and it works nicely. I found riding in 35c it comes on even while riding in traffic at 20mph.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 87,100 miles
1997 K1100LT 58,000 miles
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
I do remember hearing the old fan cutting on before but I also wear ear plugs so a visual would be nice

    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Make sure the LED is made for 12Volts or if a 2.2 Volt LED put a 470 ohm resistor in series to stop the LED frizzleing.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

Flip2

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
yep it's 12volt rated. just trying to follow proper wiring guidelines . thNks

    

Gaz

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Flip2, your LED indicator will show when there is power going to the fan but by my reckoning it will not show if the fan is actually spinning.

Just a thought.

Cheers


__________________________________________________
Gaz
95 K1100LT 0232224; 90 K75 6427509; 87 R80G/S PD 6292136
    

SniperX

avatar
Silver member
Silver member


I have the fairing off and the tank and such but can't find that 5mil bolt someone eluded to that I need to remove to get the rad off. Any pics or can one describe it for me? BTW got the trunk mounted. Turns out it is for a K bike but the K100RT in 85 did not have provision for it other than a couple of the 4 bolt holes drilled. I was lucky enough to drill the other two in the exact spot! Trunk is a right peach! Bad pic but it's torn apart again!


__________________________________________________
1972 BMW 3.0CSL, 1985 BMW Dinan 535i, 2001 Honda XR400R (plated), 1985 K100RT, 2004 ZX3 Focus, 1991 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4. 1977 Plymouth Trailduster 35K original miles!
    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Above the radiator and slightly to the right. They usually have a 5mm Allen head but is possible to be a 10mm hex head.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
SniperX wrote:Turns out it is for a K bike but the K100RT in 85 did not have provision for it other than a couple of the 4 bolt holes drilled. I was lucky enough to drill the other two in the exact spot! Trunk is a right peach! Bad pic but it's torn apart again!

If you had taken the tail cowl apart then you would have seen the pilot holes that are cast into all K tail cowls.


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

SniperX

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
RicK G wrote:Above the radiator and slightly to the right. They usually have a 5mm Allen head but is possible to be a 10mm hex head.
is it accessed from the rear of the rad or the right top side?


__________________________________________________
1972 BMW 3.0CSL, 1985 BMW Dinan 535i, 2001 Honda XR400R (plated), 1985 K100RT, 2004 ZX3 Focus, 1991 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4. 1977 Plymouth Trailduster 35K original miles!
    

SniperX

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
duck wrote:
SniperX wrote:Turns out it is for a K bike but the K100RT in 85 did not have provision for it other than a couple of the 4 bolt holes drilled. I was lucky enough to drill the other two in the exact spot! Trunk is a right peach! Bad pic but it's torn apart again!

If you had taken the tail cowl apart then you would have seen the pilot holes that are cast into all K tail cowls.



True, but I was easily able to fugue out where they went by using a caliper and marking the holes in the frame (rear rack) and doing a little measurement. Probably saved about an hour or more.


__________________________________________________
1972 BMW 3.0CSL, 1985 BMW Dinan 535i, 2001 Honda XR400R (plated), 1985 K100RT, 2004 ZX3 Focus, 1991 Dodge Power Wagon 4x4. 1977 Plymouth Trailduster 35K original miles!
    

duck

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
2:10


__________________________________________________
Current stable:
86 Custom K100 (standard fairing, K75 Belly pan, Ceramic chromed engine covers, paralever)
K75 Frankenbrick (Paralever, K11 front end, hybrid ABS, K1100RS fairing, radial tires)
86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT (x2)
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S
14 Yamaha WR250R
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum