BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty handlebar risers? Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:46 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
There is 2 things I would like to change about the riding position, it seems I have too much of my weight forward onto the handle bars and also the seat height is such that I'm on my toes at traffic lights.
I'm thinking that I might be able to solve both problems by cutting out an inch of foam from the seat so that I'm sitting lower and that (should?) take some weight off my hands. Does that sound like it will work?
If that doesn't work are there handlebars from the touring K bikes that might be higher?
Thanks,
Chris

2Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
This is one of the few differences that is significant between the 75 and 100 and I am not sure how high the "S" bars are but I am guessing the RT bars will be the highest you can get but probably too high for the fairing you have and the lower seat. Essentially you need a more upright seating position.
A set of bar backs may be an option or maybe the handlebars off a naked version but if you took some measurements then we can do some comparisons.
Probably not bad info to have anyway.

3Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:08 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
The bars on my k75s are 24" wide end to end and a rise of 2.5" from the bottom of the bar that sits in the cradle to the highest point.

Phil, what are bar backs?

4Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is a picture of a set of bar backs (or risers).
This is not a K bike but you will understand the principle.

handlebar risers? Bb1r11gs

5Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Chris I think barbacks is just a brand and this is the link for Bert's picture above: Smile
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1349 which is actually for the K series as well.
Generally they lift them up about 1" and back the same so if you could move yours the same somehow or get someone to hold them you will get an idea before shelling out any hard earned cash.

6Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Handlebar Risers Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 am

Tom G

Tom G
Life time member
Life time member
G'day,I recently fitted higher bars to my K75S and it made a big difference.The high bars are from a K100RT and fitted fairly easily.The only cable that needed rerouting was the clutch cable and the front brakeline needed replacing. (I had a braided line made up locally).It all went accortding to plan./

7Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:14 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
87m6chris wrote:The bars on my k75s are 24" wide end to end and a rise of 2.5" from the bottom of the bar that sits in the cradle to the highest point.

A rough measurement on my RT has the bars 775 mm across (or 30.5 inches) and from the top of the bar to the highest point 260 mm (or 10.2 inches)

8Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:50 am

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
http://www.moto-techniques.com/bmw.htm

Is a company I found that makes a bar back of 1" rise and 5/8" back
which might do the job perfectly, and at $50 an absolute bargain. I think the RT bars rise of 10" will be too much for what I looking for.

9Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:22 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
Just as an update, I haven't received the barbacks yet but pulled the seat cover off, pulled the seat foam off and removed 1" of foam from the bottom side of the one piece foam, placed it back on the plastic base and then back on the bike. So far perfect, one foot flat on the ground and the ball of the other foot touching.
Still feels very comfy but I guess a 2 hr ride will determine that.
Also the weight on the handlebars feels lighter but will know more once I get a new cover put on and go for a test ride.

10Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:07 am

I've finally had some quality garage time on a Friday arvo just this side o' paradise. Music from my iPod plays, just loud enough to not be polite, through a boosted surround sound system I've borrowed from one of the kids, the warming Winter sun hasn't quite set yet, obligatory and very tasty Boag's Draught from Tasmania is chilling in the fridge within easy reach, and one is already at hand. I've snapped a coupla pix of the handlebar 'riser' arrangement and Throttlemeister cruise control with the mirror extender bits on the olde girl, my K100RS.

handlebar risers? Dscf0810
These are the aluminium 25mm taller risers (just under the 'bars) that place the standard RS 'bars slightly higher and further back towards the rider for comfort and control.

handlebar risers? Dscf0811
These are the aluminium straps necessary to retain the RS 'bar pad. One rivet and the standard bolt, each side, holds 'em in place.

handlebar risers? Dscf0812
Note the plastic mirror spacer which came stock from the factory on K1100RS models but which can easily be retrofitted to the K100RS models (currently on special from Motobins). This is also the left hand side 'dummy' Throttlemeister bar end weight. The right hand side turns through the rotation of the throttle and an internal metal sleeve counter-rotates outwards from inside the 'weight' towards the throttle tube and puts pressure on the end of it to stay right there (sorta like the cops when you're under arrest, feet spread, against the wall, hands on your head), only this most handy gadget can be tempted back into an easy-going position with a simple twist. I'll wager most of us are good citizens and don't frequent the more colourful parts of town, so I use the analogy to dramatise the 'stay where you are' feature of the passive cruise control. handlebar risers? Icon_biggrin

handlebar risers? Dscf0813
Here's the view from the bridge, captain. Note the wide splay of the 'bars which increases the leverage and yet does almost nil to exacerbate the already vague feeling of the rubber-mounted 'bars. There's an internal expanding 'bar sleeve of sorts that tightens against the bar end weights and allows for about 40mm of extra 'bar length, or width. It works a charm. See how the 'bar pad is not nestled right up against the handlebar controls as it does in stock form? The mirrors, though they appear to be blocked by the 'bars, are really good with the extenders between them and the fairing. I had to drill one extra 6mm hole per mirror in the fibreglass for the additional mounting point. The 'knock off' feature is still there. I use an old ockey strap (bungie cord) with knots tied in either end to retain the mirror pods in the event of an unplanned get off. The plastic lever thingy on the right hand side is a Throttle Rocker and eases up the pressure on the right hand over the road. I paid ten Greenbacks for it in 'Murica a coupla years ago. I've seen 'em in motorbike shops in OZ and in magazines. I reckon it was a good investment. I bought two, and use the other one on the left hand side when I go out on tour, and I wear my sunnies too, but only during the day! BTW, I didn't have to replace any cables or hoses in this mild upgrade.

handlebar risers? Bmw_s110
This last and final picture is my date for the evening...she rides BMWs too, but I'm having trubs convincing her to wear the appropriate gear; not sure where she's been or where she's going. She came in burning rubber and likes it fast and easy. She even threatened to smoke me....handlebar risers? Icon_cool

11Back to top Go down   handlebar risers? Empty Re: handlebar risers? Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:44 pm

87m6chris

87m6chris
Silver member
Silver member
Well, I finally received the bar risers two months after ordering them.
Great product but service doesn't seem to be their strong point.
Installed them, fantastic! My back is very happy.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum