BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Handlebar risers. Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Last week I borrowed a set of fork yokes from a friend in order to make some new stainless top nuts. It's a lot easier to have a pattern and to make things at one's leisure.

Handlebar risers. Sam_0111

As it's been chucking it down with rain today and the Vincent is cleaned and ready for this weekend's camping, I thought I would use my friend's yokes to see if I could come up with a simple way of making 'bar risers. I don't actually need any, I like my bars as they are, but it may be of help to someone out there.

This is the result. A pair of 40mm diameter blocks, 25mm long, drilled 10mm clear and chamfered 30* to fit the taper on the existing clamps. And a pair of extensions to the thread, tapped M8 internally, 40mm long overall, with 15mm of M8 thread externally. I used 7/16" (11mm ish) to give a bit more 'meat' around the internal thread.

Handlebar risers. Sam_0112

An advantage of lifting the complete clamp assembly is that the switch pad stays in the correct relation to the handlebars.

Handlebar risers. Sam_0113

I used acetal for the risers, because I had some, but steel, stainless, aluminium, nylon or whatever would be suitable.

Of course this will only work for K's with the ignition switch fitted to the handlebar pad and although I wouldn't expect any problems with cable lengths, the front brake hose would probably need to be longer.

So that's today's playtime over,

Cheers,

Paul.

2Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
But not K75s as they dont have any vibration dampers. I used a set of top clamps and longer bolts and extended the dash mounts 20mm.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Handy work Paul, like RickG My k75 has old style metal clamps so i used a set of rd400? barclamps that simply unbolted to give me the uppers and lowers in one go. though it does beggar tthe question? are dog bones still legal. remember them? I wonder how many breaker yards we would have to run through to find a set of 22mm old style jap dog bones off of someones old honda four choppa. They came in any sizes up to 8 or 10 inch i reckon maybe more

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

4Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
For those of us who lack the skills or tools to make up Paul's risers, I can recommend a set specifically for the K100 from Red Luna Racing in California.
Cost just under £30 including p&p and only took 4 days to get here. CNC machined from polished or painted T6 aluminium and complete with longer stainless bolts.
Find them on eBay.
You do have to make a couple of small brackets to raise the dash. Small piece of metal with two holes 1" apart. Within even my engineering skills.
All cables and pipework fits fine. Mines an RT but don't see it making any difference for other models.
Is it worth it?
Well, an inch can make a big difference. (Said the actress to the bishop. Sorry, couldn't resist it.)
I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and the difference is noticeable. Hands don't go numb as much as before.
May help back sufferers too.

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

5Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:33 pm

shack

shack
Comberjohn wrote:For those of us who lack the skills or tools to make up Paul's risers, I can recommend a set specifically for the K100 from Red Luna Racing in California.
Cost just under £30 including p&p and only took 4 days to get here. CNC machined from polished or painted T6 aluminium and complete with longer stainless bolts.
Find them on eBay.
You do have to make a couple of small brackets to raise the dash. Small piece of metal with two holes 1" apart. Within even my engineering skills.
All cables and pipework fits fine. Mines an RT but don't see it making any difference for other models.
Is it worth it?
Well, an inch can make a big difference. (Said the actress to the bishop. Sorry, couldn't resist it.)
I have Carpel Tunnel Syndrome and the difference is noticeable. Hands don't go numb as much as before.
May help back sufferers too.

Hi I couldn't find the Red Luna site, do you have a link, also a couple of piccies of your installed risers would be great, my back is aching

6Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:43 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
Welcome Shack!

Don`t know which kind of model you got, but here you got some alternatives.

7Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:11 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Shack.
Go to ebay and search for 'K100 risers' or try this link Red Luna Racing

I took a couple of photos of mine. Reminds me to have a bit of a repaint over the winter!
I find the risers a great job and this company do all sorts of stuff like this and it doesn't seem expensive despite the quality of parts.
Like I said 4 days from the States is pretty impressive too.

[img]Handlebar risers. Dscf1717[/img]
[img]Handlebar risers. Dscf1718[/img]

8Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
With most risers you'll have to drill and tap (or rivet) a hole in the lower saddle for the original dashpad to fit. It's easily done. Be sure to order 22mm risers and not 7/8" which is 22.25mm and will require shimming of some sort to work effectively.

Touratech, Creative Cycle Concepts and others list basic black or silver 22mm risers that give a 25mm (about an inch) rise. I have them on my K100RS too. Along with my handlebar's wideners (22mm internal inserts to increase the handlebar's width) it makes a big difference to handling and comfort over the long road.

9Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
As TWB says, you can drill and tap the lower clamp.
Bear in mind that the original tapped hole is on a spigot(?) away from the original bottom clamp and is at a different angle from where a new hole would be.
Hopefully you can see what I mean from the photos.
It would mean bending the metal bracket running down from the dash.
My solution, while not very elegant, is easy to do and is out of sight. The flash makes it easier to see in the photo. Normally you can't see very much.

10Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:13 am

shack

shack
Comberjohn wrote:Hi Shack.
Go to ebay and search for 'K100 risers' or try this link Red Luna Racing

I took a couple of photos of mine. Reminds me to have a bit of a repaint over the winter!
I find the risers a great job and this company do all sorts of stuff like this and it doesn't seem expensive despite the quality of parts.
Like I said 4 days from the States is pretty impressive too.

[img]Handlebar risers. Dscf1717[/img]
[img]Handlebar risers. Dscf1718[/img]

Thanks for the info and great pictures, I jumped on the site and didn't specify the RS model (newbie time) will this fit the RS model? if so I think it will be time to dig that card out and put an order in.👅

I have a 1991 K100RS in Yukka👽 (see avatar) only had it for four days so getting a feel for it and working out the niggles:pirat:

Last edited by shack on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : posted new avatar)

11Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:05 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Help needed. I am trying to make extensions but dont know what is diameter is hole in rubber blocks inside upper triple clamp. 11, 12, 13 mm?

12Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:44 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
[/quote]I jumped on the site and didn't specify the RS model (newbie time) will this fit the RS model?👅 [/quote]

Buy a riser for 22mm handlebar diametre and you will have to drill and tap or rivet for the dashpad, as mentioned previously. There is no RS-specified riser. You will use a generic riser for BMW bolt spacing.

13Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:49 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Nino, the shafts on the handlebar clamps are 10mm dia with an 8mm threaded end but 11mm will also go through the rubbers.

Remember to make the extensions the same length as the risers to keep the original tension on the rubbers when the 8mm nut is fully tightened.

Paul.

14Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
So, how do you avoid having to buy a longer front brake hose?

Make a longer banjo bolt and spacer. Simple! Very Happy

Handlebar risers. Sam_0212

(I like to have a bleed screw in the top of a vertically mounted banjo bolt to get that last bubble of air out.)

I may even try these risers now I've got this far.

Paul.

15Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:41 pm

shack

shack
Can I ask a newbie/ numpty question, are the bolt spacings standard across different makes, I've found some that move the bars up 30mm and back 22mm but didn't specify any make.

I've emailed the company so it depends if they can be bothered/ are able to get the tape measure out!

I emailed the cycle link listed above, but they haven't replied to either of my emails, so lost confidence in them, and the red luna weren't happy to say if it would fit the RS and to check with a dealer (they did reply which was nice)

Ta muchly

16Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:42 pm

shack

shack
Can I ask a newbie/ numpty question, are the bolt spacings standard across different makes, I've found some that move the bars up 30mm and back 22mm but didn't specify any make.

I've emailed the company so it depends if they can be bothered/ are able to get the tape measure out!

I emailed the cycle link listed above, but they haven't replied to either of my emails, so lost confidence in them, and the red luna weren't happy to say if it would fit the RS and to check with a dealer (they did reply which was nice)

Ta muchly

17Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm

John The Hat

John The Hat
sidecar paul wrote:So, how do you avoid having to buy a longer front brake hose?

Paul.

But if one didn't want to turn up that nice little spigot (and if one was thinking about replacing 23 year old break lines anyway) does anyone make a 2" over top hose ('89 RS + ABS) ? Or is there a drawing out there anywhere ? I don't want to pull the existing hose & send it away with a note saying "like this but 2 inches longer."

18Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
If you are only raising the bars by an inch you don't need longer brake lines or cables. The original lengths are okay but you can change them for new standard length lines.

Don't worry about making up spigots or widgets for this. Paul is just showing off.Cool
These side car types are always having to make up special bits for their outfits and they can't help themselves. Us mere mortals just have to muddle through with what we can find or buy.

Regarding the risers fitting the RS. Can't see why not.
I would say that Red Luna are doing the American thing and covering their ass from potential law suits from gorillas with spanners.

As far as using a K with risers, highly recommended.

19Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:01 pm

John The Hat

John The Hat
Comberjohn wrote:If you are only raising the bars by an inch you don't need longer brake lines or cables. The original lengths are okay but you can change them for new standard length lines.

Ah. But. And there is a but. I have already fitted the wider KI100RS bars, and I think that has eaten any slack there was. Hence my question :-)

20Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
There's always one!

In that case, what about the standard K100 (naked) or RT/LT brake lines?

Plenty available off the shelf.

21Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:54 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
I would guess that one from a naked or RT/LT would be way to long.
The hose from a naked K100/K75C (low bar) is only 23 mm longer.

But afterall it`s standard fittings, it should be posibble to find one with
the correct length.............or one custom made.

10mm banjo fittings, 15o in one end.

Standard length:
Handlebar risers. 34321410

22Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member

23Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
Wow. Someone has been busy.
Would feel like riding a Harley with a rise like that.
If you used the dashpad you won't be able to see the clocks.

24Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:40 am

John The Hat

John The Hat
sidecar paul wrote:So, how do you avoid having to buy a longer front brake hose?

Make a longer banjo bolt and spacer. Simple! Very Happy

(I like to have a bleed screw in the top of a vertically mounted banjo bolt to get that last bubble of air out.)

I may even try these risers now I've got this far.

Paul.

Paul, do you happen to have drawings for those ? Have stainless, have mate with lathe & workshop :-)

25Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:33 am

caferacer62

caferacer62
Life time member
Life time member
I put a set of RHK bar risers on mine. Cost $29 from local suzuki bike shop. They rise the bars by 22mm and one part goes under the bars and they come with a new top clamp as well. You simply put the spacer under the bars and it bolts to the standard bottoms then put the cap on. The spacer has its own thread to accept the top clamp. They come with new bolts with loctite stuff on the threads. Made of alloy and come in range of colours.
I have used them on a couple of bikes now and had no dramas.
The 22mm is just enough to ease the bars up and back a bit. No probs with cables etc either.

Don't give in to the Black Dog!
"A Zorst, a zorst my kingdom for a Zorst"

Handlebar risers. 170874

26Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Re: Handlebar risers. Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:22 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Hi John the Hat,

No I don't generally make drawings, in this case I just copied the standard banjo bolt but added 1" (the same height as the risers).

So, give your mate the stainless and an old banjo bolt and tell him how much longer you want it.

Paul.

27Back to top Go down   Handlebar risers. Empty Handlebar risers Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:23 am

John The Hat

John The Hat
Handlebar risers. Odds%20&%20Sods

Have handlebar risers. Now to find someone who will make me up a custom hose...

:-)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum