BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Clutch Spline Lube - Accessibility on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:43 pm

WINGLESS

WINGLESS
Hi,
I have an '85 K100RS and plan to do a clutch spline lube.
PROBLEM: Doing earlier welding repair work to the silencer (muffler ) I was unable to remove the exhaust headers from the engine although allfasteners removed easily, the pipes would not move even slightly as if they were a permanent attachment to the head.
QUESTION: Is it possible to remove the gearbox without disturbing the exhaust assembly,preferably keeping the silencer attached to the pipes?
thanks
Ian

2Back to top Go down    Re: Clutch Spline Lube - Accessibility on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:20 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
@WINGLESS wrote: I was unable to remove the exhaust headers from the engine although allfasteners removed easily, the pipes would not move even slightly as if they were a permanent attachment to the head.
What methods did you try to remove them?

3Back to top Go down    Re: Clutch Spline Lube - Accessibility on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
@WINGLESS wrote:Hi,
I have an '85 K100RS and plan to do a clutch spline lube.
PROBLEM: Doing earlier welding repair work to the silencer (muffler ) I was unable to remove the exhaust headers from the engine although allfasteners removed easily, the pipes would not move even slightly as if they were a permanent attachment to the head.
QUESTION: Is it possible to remove the gearbox without disturbing the exhaust assembly,preferably keeping the silencer attached to the pipes?
thanks
Ian
Simple answer - yes

4Back to top Go down    Re: Clutch Spline Lube - Accessibility on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:35 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Yes, you don't need to remove the exhaust to lube the clutch splines.

You don't have to remove the transmission completely either. With a pair of 100mm long 8mm bolts installed to support it, you can simply slide the transmission back a bit to expose the splines so you can reach them with a long parts cleaning brush to apply the lube.

1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down    Re: Clutch Spline Lube - Accessibility on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:06 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Replacing the GB bolts with supporting studs is the best idea but I use 3 to give it a bit more support. Also a good idea to remove the clutch push rod first, to avoid damaging the end of it when sliding the GB back (not possible with the K75).
Use minimal moly paste. I used an old toothbrush to clean and apply.
Leave the muffler on.

If you need to remove the headers, just a bit of perseverance and a little swearing is needed. Sounds like they've not been removed for sometime and now that you've loosened them I'd suggest removing completely and replacing the header gaskets. There's a chance they won't seal properly again.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum