BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Kalle

Kalle
ey everyone. So on my 1985 k100 the low beam stopped working, and a day later the high beam stopped aswell. I noticed the no2 fuse was blown after that so I replaced it, and as soon as I hit the light switch to on (at the rights side of the handlebar) the fuse blows again. 

I can't seem to find any obvious wire breakage etc, so maybe the problem is in the switch? 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

caveman

caveman
Life time member
Life time member
Is this before you started the cafe conversion or is the bike already been modified?

Kalle

Kalle
The bike have been modified. A BEP 3.0 is fitted. Everything was working fine for a good while though.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Kalle wrote: so maybe the problem is in the switch?
Maybe.

Have you already inspected the headlamp bulb socket and its wiring?

Poupy

Poupy
Silver member
Silver member
We might be on a false route: in the original configuration, there is neither any fuse nor any relay in the headlights circuit. The fuse 2 protects the parking and tail lights, not the headligts.

Its blowing implying a switching off of the head lights is a mystery. But as the bike has apparently been modified, finding a possible reason by studying a probably modified circuit is a challenge.

Kalle

Kalle
Update: found a shortage between the tail light power wire and ground. I now have a functional tail and brake light with light switch off (did not try with engine running yet). If I turn the lightswitch on, the tail and brake light stops working. 

The front parking light only works with the light switch set to on. Maybe thats normal. 

Need to start the bike now and see if the headlight works. 

Thanks so far guys

Poupy

Poupy
Silver member
Silver member
You mean you have the tail light on with the light switch off? Abnormal. The only positive news about that is that the bulb is functional Smile 

According to what you say, only the front parking light (not the tail light) works when the light switch is set to on. Do you confirm? For memory, the parking lights - front and tail - are activated by a specific position of the ignition key, beyond the steering locking position, i.e. when the main power is off. Is that what you mean when you mention parking light?

Studying what you state, my suspiscion is towards the ignition key switch. Do you still use the original one, with its special internal connections?

Kalle

Kalle
Poupy wrote:You mean you have the tail light on with the light switch off? Abnormal. The only positive news about that is that the bulb is functional Smile 

According to what you say, only the front parking light (not the tail light) works when the light switch is set to on. Do you confirm? For memory, the parking lights - front and tail - are activated by a specific position of the ignition key, beyond the steering locking position, i.e. when the main power is off. Is that what you mean when you mention parking light?

Studying what you state, my suspiscion is towards the ignition key switch. Do you still use the original one, with its special internal connections?
Yes only front parking (position) light works with light switch is set to on, and key is set to on/start position. 

I am using stock ignition key switch.

Thanks

Poupy

Poupy
Silver member
Silver member
In your first message you state that the low beam, then the high one started to misfunction. That is typical of a left hand switch problem, as the low and high beams use the same feeding wire, white/yellow, coming from the right hand switch.
Usually, when neither the low or high beams work, the "flasher" is still operational. That is because it uses a specific circuit. For being sure, check that flasher operation on your bike, to exclude the basic blown bulb problem.

Anyway, in addition to that LH switch likely problem, there is something else as your tail light behaviour is strange. It seems to act independently from the front position light. And when it works is when it should not.
Is your tail light of the original type or did you change it for a LEDs one? The rear bulbs electronic control device bahaviour is based on actual electrical consumption. Cheating it can imply unexpected behaviour.

Kalle

Kalle
Poupy wrote:In your first message you state that the low beam, then the high one started to misfunction. That is typical of a left hand switch problem, as the low and high beams use the same feeding wire, white/yellow, coming from the right hand switch.
Usually, when neither the low or high beams work, the "flasher" is still operational. That is because it uses a specific circuit. For being sure, check that flasher operation on your bike, to exclude the basic blown bulb problem.

Anyway, in addition to that LH switch likely problem, there is something else as your tail light behaviour is strange. It seems to act independently from the front position light. And when it works is when it should not.
Is your tail light of the original type or did you change it for a LEDs one? The rear bulbs electronic control device bahaviour is based on actual electrical consumption. Cheating it can imply unexpected behaviour.
The tail light is LED. I'll put in a new headlight bulb and check the flasher function, and also start it up to see if it makes it behave differently

Stumpy

Stumpy
Silver member
Silver member
Kalle wrote:
Poupy wrote:In your first message you state that the low beam, then the high one started to misfunction. That is typical of a left hand switch problem, as the low and high beams use the same feeding wire, white/yellow, coming from the right hand switch.

The tail light is LED. I'll put in a new headlight bulb and check the flasher function, and also start it up to see if it makes it behave differently
If your tail light is led, swap the wires, I had a sidelight that worked until I put in an LED. I switched the positive and earth wires and the LED worked.

Kalle

Kalle
Stumpy wrote:
Kalle wrote:

If your tail light is led, swap the wires, I had a sidelight that worked until I put in an LED. I switched the positive and earth wires and the LED worked.

Thanks! Worked a charm! 

Kalle

Kalle
Problem solved! 

Main problem was the tail light positive wire was shorted to ground, which blew the fuse. How the front light bulb got burnt I still dont know, but got a new bulb in and it is working now. 

Got some new problems related to starting now though. That will be a new thread however.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum