BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

freed

freed
Is there away to use aftermarket or some other bike MC on K100? 
I am doing front end swap to gsxr, so the original MC is too small? Can I just use gsxr master sylinder? I would like to have original switches though.

-Valtteri

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
The BMW master cylinder is almost unique in that the switches are part of the housing. If you need to change the master cylinder, then use the GSXR switches as well. Modifying the wiring isn't difficult; see here:-

https://www.k100-forum.com/t10150-wiring-in-non-bmw-handlebar-switches

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

freed

freed
Dai wrote:The BMW master cylinder is almost unique in that the switches are part of the housing. If you need to change the master cylinder, then use the GSXR switches as well. Modifying the wiring isn't difficult; see here:-

https://www.k100-forum.com/t10150-wiring-in-non-bmw-handlebar-switches

Hi, 

How then to use throttle and clutch cable? Will those fit to gsxr handlebars?

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Ah - I've never used BMW OEM cables as I make my own cables when needed. In general, I've found that the clutch lever pull seems to be about the same across most motorcycles so the BMW clutch cable will probably (not definately) fit the Suzuki clutch lever. Try it. If the length is right, you will need to cut the BMW adjuster off the clutch cable and fit the Suzuki adjuster.

However, you will need to make a new throttle cable unless you get lucky and you can modify the GSXR throttle cable to fit the BMW throttle bodies. It depends on how long the throttle cable is; if it's long enough to fit on the bike correctly then it could be as simple as removing some of the outer sheath with a dremel or similar. Put both twistgrips on the bench with the cables attached and pull the inner cables tight. That will give you a very good idea whether the GSXR throttle cable can be modified or whether you will need to make a new one.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

freed

freed
Dai wrote:Ah - I've never used BMW OEM cables as I make my own cables when needed. In general, I've found that the clutch lever pull seems to be about the same across most motorcycles so the BMW clutch cable will probably (not definately) fit the Suzuki clutch lever. Try it. If the length is right, you will need to cut the BMW adjuster off the clutch cable and fit the Suzuki adjuster.

However, you will need to make a new throttle cable unless you get lucky and you can modify the GSXR throttle cable to fit the BMW throttle bodies. It depends on how long the throttle cable is; if it's long enough to fit on the bike correctly then it could be as simple as removing some of the outer sheath with a dremel or similar. Put both twistgrips on the bench with the cables attached and pull the inner cables tight. That will give you a very good idea whether the GSXR throttle cable can be modified or whether you will need to make a new one.
Any link to make own cables? I am quite new to this modifying things to fit together Very Happy

volador

volador
Platinum member
Platinum member
You need OE 20mm MC from R850R,RT,GS, R1100R,RS,GS, K1, K100RS 4V, K1100RS,LT
32 72 2 352 190

[url=https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/PartsSearch.aspx?&searchtype=undefined&parts=32 72 2 352 190]OE 20mm MC[/url]

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
freed wrote:
Any link to make own cables? I am quite new to this modifying things to fit together Very Happy
No. That is one skill that you really need someone to show you and to be sure that the cable you make will be good to do the job. There are some custom motorcycle suppliers who will make cables for you, but as you're in Finland you will need to do that research yourself.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum