BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Compression tester Empty Compression tester Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:32 am

Leon

Leon
Hi there

I have got the luxuary this coming weekend to service the bike, bleed the brakes and give the bike a good looking over before the MOT. I am wanting to purchase a compression tester for the K100LT just to give it a health check. The kits you can buy are a little confusing regards the adapters that fit the plug holes. Which size fits the beemer?, 14mm, 18mm, 16mm, 21mm. Question Not all kits have all adaptors....

Regards

Leon

2Back to top Go down   Compression tester Empty Re: Compression tester Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:15 am

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Leon,
I know exactly what you mean. There is a huge number of adapters. Our spark plugs are 12 mm as I understand it.

I have a kit and in the end I don't use screw in adapters. I use the metal tube which has a rubber cone to fit into the hole.

So, I :
a. remove all plugs,
b. wedge a lump of timber under the throttle lever to keep the throttles wide open,
c. push the metal adapter over the plug hole and lean on it to seal, and
d. then have someone press the starter button for exactly 5 turns and read the result.

why 5? well I find that 3 is enough to get close to max and I give another two to make sure.
As you are sealing 170psi or so, heavy hand pressure is enough to hold the gauge in place.

I did try to use the screw in adapter but it took too long to install and remove ...it was just a pain to use. I can generally complete test on all cylinders in the time it takes me to install and remove the 12mm adopter on one cylinder.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

3Back to top Go down   Compression tester Empty Re: Compression tester Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Leon

Leon
Cheer's Ned
for the reply, I have purchased a kit online with 10, 12, 14 and 18mm adapters, which the 12mm will cover my bike Very Happy I feel alot better now that I have picked the right kit.

Regards

Leon

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum