BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ganumph

Good afternoon all
I have had my Brick for a month or so now.....not a long time I know compared to some members, My intention is to lavish lots of love and attention and make her look really smart, I know you can`t make a silk purse etc etc..but I have been cleaning the engine block and cleaning and rubbing and polishing fer days but she still dont look any different from when I got her, not that she looks a nail but I thought I would be able to tart her up. Is there any way to do this or is the only way to strip her down to the bare bones and powder coat every thing and have all her bits professionally touched up, ie engine casings, I will drain the cooling system and take the side covers off and give them a damn good seeing to I must say I am really impressed with the protection given by the fairing and enjoy every ride I go out on, it`s pleasantly completely different from my other ride.
Look forward to hearing from anyone with any tips.
Regards
Laughing

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Whoa there stranger thems fightin words "silk purse" forsooth! I resemble that remark!

Joking aside there are some excellent examples amongst the members bikes of what can be done to make them look really good. The block once perfectly clean can be hand repainted in a similar semi gloss black paint which will make the block look really excellent.

When you drain the cooling system don't forget to refill with ~40% BMW antifreeze I know you can buy cheaper but I view that as the cost of peace of mind in that it is perfectly matched to all the bits in the engine and cooling system and will not give any problems with electrochemical reactions.

So go to it get painting but don't use any of those silicone treatments like armour all or turtlewax extreme protectant. The silicones in them will be the devil to get off the surface so the new paint will stick.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
How long does that paint last? I guess that also depends on how clean the surface was before painting, but assuming it was really clean..? And what kind of paint would one use? I mean since the engine can get quite hot...

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

Comberjohn

Comberjohn
Life time member
Life time member
If this is your 1st BMW you will find that it will never be shiny in a Japanese way. BMW's tend to have an efficient 'dull' look about them.
If its really bad then a rebuild is the only way to go. But at only 41k I would just keep it clean and maintained and enjoy riding it!
I agree that they will never win any beauty contests but thats not what they are about.
Keeping the black bits black will help the overall look.
Would recommend Hammerite Satin Black for engine casings and fork legs.
If you change any corroded engine cover bolts after you spray the covers it will make a big difference. Try James Sherlock for them.
19 stainless bolts for the timing cover for only £9.40 can't be bad. They do other cover bolt kits also
For touch up paints and aerosols in BMW shades try RS Bike Paints.
So the quest begins...

http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
I looked at my water/oil pump yesterday, thought about a coat of black paint, but elected for a BMW sticker. The flaking paint?...I call it patina Smile

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I don't know if they are still what they used to be but Hammerite paints 25 years ago when they were made in Stocksfield in Northumberland from memory were really really good!

The engine does not get all that hot say 105 c Max.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Use CarPlan "Wonder wheels" to clean the alloy and then ensure that it is dry.....mask off all parts with masking tape and newspaper that you don't want touched....any cables etc smear with grease to be wiped later...then spray with Hammerite smooth silver. Or if prefered Black. It will amaze you and others. Well that is what I did.
Is there any way to clean the engine to smarten her up? K100RS%203.

Alex_GER

Alex_GER
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Ajays (thumbsup)...

Wow, that engines really is blinding me Wink

I really like you air outake...

Edit: Once painted with Hammerite, is that easy to keep clean?

http://www.students.uni-mainz.de/alotz/portfolio/

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Alex,
You can get Hammerite in spray cans but make sure it is Hammerite "Smooth". Halfords in the uk stock it but it is available elsewhere. K-Bike is correct, it is great stuff..!...most colours stocked and can be used directly onto rust. Cheers
Ajays

AJAYS

ganumph

Ajay
That looks just the ticket, very smart, I hope mine turns out as Beautiful!!!!!
I reckon I`ll use your tip on hammerite spray, hope to post some pics and let you see how I go.
👽

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
Ajays,
your bike looks abso beautiful
what an inspiration to us
off to Halfords!
cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]