BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Another dud Odometer Empty Another dud Odometer Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:09 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
A mate dropped off his K’s speedo head today to see what usual Odometer carnage may have occurred, as it hasn’t worked since the old girl was purchased earlier this year. 

Well....no real surprise, the gears were in a fairly sorry state, however weren’t stripped totally. The gear set was locked up due to the driving gear shearing off and locking the set. The gears were also solidified together with what I’m assuming was grease that had turned to wax. 

It appears that someone had been in there before - anyone else ever seen yellow gears? This K’s a jap import. 

Another dud Odometer 7dd79610

Another dud Odometer Fa375810

Another dud Odometer Fe36ec10

There were also two pins that had become detached from the board which required resoldering.

Another dud Odometer 4705a610

Ah, that’s better!

Another dud Odometer Cc887610

Fingers crossed another $4.95 fix works Wink

Regards

Dan

Last edited by StandardK on Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling dumkopf)

2Back to top Go down   Another dud Odometer Empty Re: Another dud Odometer Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:46 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I think BMW probably used whatever colour the manufacturer sent. I've kept two sets from speedos that have failed beyond repair. IIRC (because I can't be bothered to go outside and find them Very Happy ) one set is green, white and orange (hurrah! for the Irish) and the other set is yellow, white and orange.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Another dud Odometer Empty deja vu Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:05 am

Cablebeacher

Silver member
Silver member
Hi
Seen this before and I also think the colours "don't matter" or are not of significant value...
Regards and good luck
Mal

4Back to top Go down   Another dud Odometer Empty Re: Another dud Odometer Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:26 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have been having a hunt around and cant find anything (not unusual for me) but I do recall that there is something to do with colours and whether it's for MPH or KPH.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Another dud Odometer Empty Re: Another dud Odometer Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:08 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
if you look closely on the gears there is a tooth count stamped into them 

i pulled apart and documented the tooth count that i found in gertys gear set years ago 

and actually posted the tooth counts , but time gets away and of corse cant find the edited picture with the labels ....doh !

heres an example of the lettering i was talking about 

Another dud Odometer 2014-011

by the way as the plastic deteriorates it can colour the the next connecting gear 

but i did find this 

Speedo gear sets

Part number 236 is white with 11/33 teeth (The pink colour has blended onto this cog from the other one)
Part number 237 is pink with 23 teeth
Part number 238 is brown/orange with 34/40 teeth (this is the one that's totally stuffed)
Part number 239 is red/orange with 16/44 teeth
The primary gear is brown with 12 teeth

but did find the labelled pic  after all 

Another dud Odometer Gear_m10

good luck dan

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Another dud Odometer Empty Re: Another dud Odometer Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:26 pm

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member
Hi all, thanks for the replies, 

The odd yellow gear is the same tooth count as the orange 34/40, as has been suggested must just be a manufacturer “flavour of the month“ thing perhaps. I appear to be now collecting a selection of mashed-up gears, maybe I can melt them down into something.... Surprised

I have received word that all is working, even the micro-surgery soldering on the fragile pins cheers

BTW I found by removing the pin, soldering in a piece of copper wire to firmly locate it back in the board & then carefully heating the pin seemed to ensure a reasonably good hold (apologies if this is obvious stuff to the sparky types, I confess to be quite inept in such matters)

Regards

Dan

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum