BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

AUBIEBMW

AUBIEBMW
Hello,
I just checked the continuity on both of the DIN / Merit accessory sockets that I have removed from the bike.  On both sockets the positive blade has great continuity to the inner receiver of the socket, however the negative blade has no continuity to the socket's barrel that would make contact with the negative fingers of any
plug-in device.  Both sockets are the same which is really odd to see both fail in this manner.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!
Jim

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, the connection from the terminal on the outside to the metal bits on the interior.  I had that problem on the accessory outlet in the coil cover on my K75RT. It made connecting my trickle charger sort of dodgy.

If I remember right, there is a strip of metal that runs down the side of the socket from the connector that goes under another piece on the side of the socket.  It seems like the electrical connection is simply the mechanical contact between the two parts.  Over the years I think that vibration opens up the fit between the parts and the electrical connection becomes intermittent.  

It's been a long time since I repaired mine, but I recall soldering the parts together.  It wasn't all that hard, it's just that the parts need a bit of heating to get the solder to flow.  So far, the repair has held up for over 4 years.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Ringfad

Ringfad
Life time member
Life time member
I have also seen this on the negative side, in my case I cleaned it and managed to get a connection.

;BMW; K100RS Style Black 1987 105K Km     ;BMW; K1 Black 1993 60K Km     ;BMW;  K1100RS Black 1996       ;BMW; K1 Blue 1990 25K Miles

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum