BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:19 am

Karl P H

Karl P H
This kit is designed to mount two large rectangular Bosch lights on two arms clamped around the fork legs at the lower triple clamps of a K100, As such the lights cannot be mounted in this fashion to an RS/RT/S as the bodywork is in the way. On my 1985 RS, the lights were mounted utilising the engine protection bars. The electrical connection was a 'plug & play' operation.

However, I've struck an electrical road block in fitting the kit to my 1992 RS. The bikes electrics have a white female 4 wire plug (green, red, black and grey - I think). However, the wiring harness for the Light Kit also has a female plug, albeit a 7 point black one. But although it also has 4 wires attached, the colours are brown, yellow, white and red/yellow.

My plan is to make up four wires to connect the two plugs. Using a test lamp will establish the power source, then switching to an LED will identify positive and negative. But that's the limit of my auto electrical knowledge.

How can I establish which colour wire from the bike connects with which colour on the wiring harness?

2Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:44 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
White is high beam
Yellow is dip (low) beam
Brown is earth
Red/yellow is a fused feed that normally serves the 'connector for special equipment' (police kit). In this case it is providing power for the high and dip beam, probably via a relay.

So, based on that and you description of a seven-pin plug, the lighting kit plugs directly into the connector for special equipment. I don't recognise your description of the bike connector, but if it's a four-pin round plug then it's most likely the optional alrm connector (red/yellow, brown, green/brown and green/slate {grey}). A close-up picture would help, as would a general picture of the relay box. I've never heard of a K not being fitted with the connector for special equipment. Go have a dig around in the relay box - it's possible the seven-pin connector has got pushed to the bottom of the box out of sight.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:27 pm

Karl P H

Karl P H
Thank you, Dai. Your reply is very much appreciated.

I'll pull the tank off again and have another look for the seven pin connector.

As a newbie to the forum, I would have attached a picture, but didn't know I could nor know how to go about it. At the bottom of this window it states;
"Attach a document (NO PICTURES), Documents only )"

4Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I click on documents only, then go to my gallery and select the photo, that works for me anyway.

5Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:06 am

Karl P H

Karl P H
Well, now I've hit a road block. The white four pin plug is clearly visible. But the black seven pin plug is not there.

Previous
Alaska Blau K100RS (1985)
KZ750GT P2
CB400/4
CB250N
CB750/4 F2
CB360 T
CB200E

6Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:52 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
So... that's a new one on me. Daft question: some of those seven pin plugs were white - there isn't one lurking there unexpectedly? I hope the fuel tank is still off because... please check fuse 5. There should be a red wire and TWO red/yellow wires on there. As you've established, one goes to the four pin connector. Where does the second one go? Has it been cut off?

Do you know anyone who could do a simple electrical job? I do have a solution if the seven pin connector is completely AWOL.

Also, using Daveyson's suggestion, can you try for a picture of the relay bopx please?

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

7Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:16 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Because it's a K100 RS, but a '92 model, so it's a 16 valve one, with the wiring way different. Your extra lights plug is probably for the earlier version. It would probably be good if you clean the wiring for a better description of the wire colour's to the plug, most will have two colours. 

The lights plug probably looks like it would fit into this earlier version plug. 

OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Img_2038

8Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:21 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Karl P H wrote:On my 1985 RS, the lights were mounted utilising the engine protection bars. The electrical connection was a 'plug & play' operation.
On your '85, how many options did you have for lighting the lamps—both, left or right, or something else? Did it have a separate switch to operate those lamps?

9Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:00 pm

Karl P H

Karl P H
OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit 20210615

10Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Karl P H

Karl P H
After multiple attempts, I finally succeeded using my phone.

Yes it is a 1992 K100RS and have on occasion discovered that this model has some unique aspects, unlike previous or subsequent models. No idea  now how I can wire in Kit.

The bike is back together. That was a saga too as the two rubbers that the rear of the tank required replacement.

11Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:26 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I'm wondering if the white cylinder on the left is a plug with a dust cap. Going by Clymer's (May 2007, pages 698, 699) the burglar plug wires are green/brown, green/grey, brown, and red/grey. The additional instruments plug wires are brown, green/black, grey/blue, and yellow. I'd say the plug on the right is the burglar one. Dunno if they're both female plugs.

12Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:26 pm

Karl P H

Karl P H
While looking for the, hopefully secreted, black seven pin connector, my recollection of the 'white dust cap' is that the cap is fixed and resin filled. I've no idea of the colours of the wires that it covers.

Looks like the tank may need to be removed - again. I may even become competent at it!

13Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:36 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Anyway that still won't do it for you. I'm not familiar with 16 valve versions and got the additional instruments plug mixed up with special equipment plug. I'm guessing you might have to run a wire straight from the battery with a fuse and relay.

14Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Nope. The 1992 K100RS does NOT have the connector for special equipment. Thanks BMW. Really clever that - leave it off the last version of the K100 but have it on all the others. Looks like the CSE red/yellow power feed has been repurposed for the Moronic unit (note the missing 't' - yes the spelling error is on the Clymer wiring diagram right in front of me!).

Karl: I can do you a wiring diagram and tell you the best places to pick up the wires from, but you'll need someone who has the tool to crimp the connectors. Pliers just won't cut it. Does the original kit have a switch that you can kill the lights with, or were they permanently on with the headlight? Also, do they have a high/dip beam in each one or is one high beam and one dip beam?

Laitch: the '85 would have been a plug-in-and-ride option. From Karl's description of his '85 setup, I'm pretty sure the wiring is the same as the Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit. Which reminds me: I've been meaning to do a DIY diagram of that for people too.

15Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:40 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Laitch: the '85 would have been a plug-in-and-ride option. From Karl's description of his '85 setup, I'm pretty sure the wiring is the same as the Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit. Which reminds me: I've been meaning to do a DIY diagram of that for people too.
I was just asking how it operated, whether it had a separate switch or was integrated. Somehow, readers thought I was trying to come up with a solution.  Not likely. Laughing  I still don't know except maybe electricity probably plays a major role.

16Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm

Karl P H

Karl P H
You are correct. Fitting the kit to my ‘85 RS was very much a ‘Plug & Ride’ experience. The most difficult aspect was mounting the lights themselves. Being designed for the naked K100, the lights’ mounting brackets clamp around the fork legs at the lower triple clamp. There were two blind, threaded holes in the back of the triple clamp to locate them. The RS’s  Engine Protection Bars were utilised in this instance. I expected a similar situation with this ‘brick’.

The lenses of the two lights in the kit are different. One has vertical ribs, throwing a flat beam. My recollection (it was more than twenty years ago!) is that with the headlights and kit switched on, it operated at low  beam. (It may also have stayed on at high beam?) The other lens is clear and throws a spot beam, operating with high beam.

The K100 Auxiliary Lighting Kit comprise of;

• Wiring Harness. This has two relay sockets with relays fitted; the infamous seven pin black connector; a plug for the switch; and two plugs, one for each of the lights.
  • On/Off switch. Which I have fitted into the dash pad.
  • Bosch Auxiliary Lights (x2). One ‘ribbed’ lens and one clear
  • Driving Light wires (x2). To connect the lights to the harness.
  • Mounting Brackets (x2). To mount the lights to the fork legs. (I now have two pair of these, surplus to requirements!).
  • Screws (x2). To mount the relay sockets into the relay box.

As my current RS is not fitted with Engine Protection Bars, I plan on utilising the four blind, threaded holes used for the lower Engine Protection Bar mounts.A friend and fellow BMWMCC(Vic.) member who is a Metal Magician is assisting me in this project. He fabricated my bike's beautiful, stainless steel Top Box Rack.

17Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:15 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Twenty-years is a long, backward walk down Memory Lane. Smile  Thanks for providing the details, Karl.

18Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:11 am

Karl P H

Karl P H
Dai wrote:Karl: I can do you a wiring diagram and tell you the best places to pick up the wires from, but you'll need someone who has the tool to crimp the connectors. Pliers just won't cut it. Does the original kit have a switch that you can kill the lights with, or were they permanently on with the headlight? Also, do they have a high/dip beam in each one or is one high beam and one dip beam?

Thank you Dai. That would be very much appreciated. My recollection (it was more than twenty years ago!) is that with the headlights and kit switched on, it operated at low  beam. (It may also have stayed on at high beam?) The other lens is clear and throws a spot beam, operating with high beam.

19Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:12 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
PDF Here

Let me know if there's anything you don't quite understand. Always remember that the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.

20Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:19 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
There's apparently a storm of dumb questions going on here after Dai's posting of his outstanding PDF wiring guide. Wear full PPE.

21Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Hi Dai,

Thanks, that is outstanding. 

Could you help me out again. 

Could Karl use a normal relay, with an 87 pin instead of 87a, I think you've explained the "a" before but I can't remember it. 

Also by Aussie law I think (that is, dunno) fog lights can only be used on low beam, and auxiliary driving lights only on high beam. I guess it's the same in the old country (that's another dunno) 

I know this sounds odd but I think Karl's ribbed light would be for low beam and his clear light for high beam. Sorry about the number of if's.

If so, would that mean Karl needs two relays and two switches?

22Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:02 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
daveyson wrote:Sorry about the number of if's.
There's really only one if, if you aren't counting if's. One if seems reasonable if you know what I mean.

23Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:11 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
True, but the number of dunno's is greater than the sum of them.

24Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:48 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Dunno if I dunno.

OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit 44271 

https://www.k100-forum.com/t15966-relays-relays-relays-types-and-substitution

I'm fairly sure from Karl's OP that the aux lights themselves are wired like an Eastern Beaver Relay kit, so they switch with dip and high beam i.e. there's already two relays in the lighting kit. That is the only reason I can think of for having both the yellow (dip) and white (high) beam wires on the lighting kit plug.

The switch simply prevents the relay from pulling in when the bike is turned on, so no power gets supplied to the headlight kit and both relays stay off at all times.

Wait one... or two... or 100. DIY Eastern Beaver Relay Kit diagram coming up.

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/misc/Eastern%20Beaver.pdf

Also corrected the original doc. Daveyson; u wuz write. It's Pin 87, not Pin 87a. A five pin relay will work because the layout is the same.

25Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:25 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Dai,

Now I understand the plug to the additional lights.

26Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:16 am

Karl P H

Karl P H
Thank you for the wiring diagram Dai.

I’m in awe of the knowledge, expertise and  experience demonstrated in the various posts. I feel like a preschooler hanging out with the high school kids.

The kit’s wiring harness has two identical Helle/BMW 4 pin relays. They seem to have both Hella and BMW part numbers as well as being stamped 484. One has four wires (brown, white, red/yellow & green/white). The other has five wires (brown, yellow, 2x red/yellow & green/yellow) In addition, there is;

• One black 7 pin plug (with brown, yellow, yellow/red & white wires) - to plug into the bikes electrics.
  • One black 2 pin plug (with brown and yellow/green wires) to plug into one light
  • One black 2 pin plug (with brown and white/green wires) to plug into the other light and,
  • One white 2 pin plug (with two brown wires) to plug into the switch.

Dai’s ‘4 way female terminal block’ would be the two black 2 pin plugs to the lights. The ‘optional toggle switch’ would be the white plug.

Looking up my copy of the Clymer manual referenced by daveyson. Top right of page 698 is a ’Plug connection burglar alarm’. The four wires listed are G/Br, G/Gr, Br & R/Gr.Using the Color Code at the top right of page 699 gives me; Green/Brown, Green/Grey, Brown but R/Gr is not listed - Red/Grey?

Using a test lamp, I believe two are power, + and -. Could this indirect connections be used in place of the battery connection and fuse on Dai’s wiring diagram? Or is it possible to pick up the four wires (brown, yellow, yellow/red & white wires) elsewhere? Three of them are the headlight globe  I haven’t found Y/R yet in Clymer. Just my luck it’s not there on my model!

Previous
KZ750GT P2
CB400/4
CB250N
CB750/4 F2
CB360 T
CB200E

27Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:13 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I think it's best to stick with Dai's plan. Getting full power straight from the battery is best, Clymer's doesn't give wire or fuse sizes on the drawing. The red wire you make will go to the red/yellow of your light kit (not yellow/red) I think that's what's been said. 

Yep from your photo I think the wire to bugular is red/grey.

28Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Karl: almost but not quite. I am horrified to see the kit manufacturer using the earth return as the 'lights off' switch. Whoever thought of that deserves a major short-circuit right under his arse.

Let me add your lighting kit into the wiring diagram - won't be today; sometime in the next couple of days.

29Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Karl P H

Karl P H
Thank you for your help and advice Dai. It is really greatly  appreciated that you would go so far above and beyond for a complete stranger.

Fitting these flights is a long term project. Through trial and error, I've roughed up a wooden frame to mount the lights in front of the front corners of the engine, utilising the bolt holes for the lower mounts for the engine protection bars. With a few tweaks,  the wood will be finessed into metal.

At the moment, Covid19 restrictions prevent a meeting with the fabricator. So there is no hurry

Last edited by Karl P H on Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Previous
KZ750GT P2
CB400/4
CB250N
CB750/4 F2
CB360 T
CB200E

30Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Lights Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:29 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
I think there's also advantages with the switch on the earth side, what's the overriding reasons against it?

31Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:12 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
PDF updated with OEM diagram. Same link.

Daveyson: putting the switch on the earth side is a baaad idea because you still have a live circuit behind it. If a power feed wire comes loose and earths out... frequently no fuse to stop a potentially catastrophic short. If you check the OEM diagram on the updated PDF, the danger there is the red/yellow wire going rogue as even with the bike and circuit off, it still has power on it. Going to stupid extremes and ignoring the fuse, there are three potential failure points where a live wire can fall off and be exposed; pin 30 on both relays and the four-way plug bringing the power in. Assuming now that you have a toggle switch in the feed (red) wire and not the earth line, you reduce those failure points to just one; where the red wire connects to the switch from the battery.

Never assume a fuse will blow in time to stop a fire from getting started. A fuse can get hot enough to set things alight without going pop.

Karl: as for mounting the lights, I just used a 25mm clamp on the crashbars similar to this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313260289178?hash=item48efc4ac9a:g:EVcAAOSwgiZfiUZA

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/bikes/2.jpg

There's a series of pictures there: change the image number on the link for 1.jpg through 5.jpg and h1.jpg through h5.jpg. Original thread is here if you're interested but be aware the links in the thread don't work.

https://www.k100-forum.com/t15350-the-emperor-s-new-clothes

32Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:57 am

Karl P H

Karl P H
Karl P H wrote:

• One black 7 pin plug (with brown, yellow, yellow/red & white wires) - to plug into the bikes electrics.

Or is it possible to pick up the four wires (brown, yellow, yellow/red white wires) elsewhere? Three of them are the headlight (High Beam, Low Beam & Earth) globe  I haven’t found Y/R (or even R/Y) yet in Clymer.

Covering the early models, Clymer K Series manual pp 688 - 9 has a red/yellow going between the “Connection For Special Equipment” and “Optional Connection for Anti Theft System”, through fuse 5 to pin 8 of the “Ignition Control Unit” & pin 1 of the “Fuel Injection Control Unit”

As I’m not very smart and possess only basic skills, I’m a believer in the KISS (Keep It Simple Karl) principle. In my thinking, fabricating and inserting Dai’s female - mail headlight connection would provide a simple and straightforward connection to the Lighting Wiring Harness. Or at least three quarters of it.

The fly in the ointment is that my model does not appear to have a red/yellow wire in its system. So the questions are; what is the function of the red/yellow wire in the lighting harness? which wire is the equivalent or suitable alternative? Is there one?

Previous
KZ750GT P2
CB400/4
CB250N
CB750/4 F2
CB360 T
CB200E

33Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:27 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I left out a red/yellow wire and used a length of red as that was one less colour you had to find and also made it a little cheaper. However, I do understand what it's like to struggle with something you don't really understand but have to fix.

PDF updated (again). Adds 1 metre of red/yellow wire to the shopping list, changes the 'Bike' diagram and updates instructions for the new wire.

34Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty So what has Karl now gone & done? Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:18 am

Karl P H

Karl P H
Firstly, replaced the headlight globe with a Lightfox LED unit. Result is a whiter light with a sharper cut off on low beam. Reflective roadside signage 'jumps out at you'.

Secondly, put using the original auxiliary lighting kit in the 'too hard basket' (It's complete and in good condition should you be interested. AS long as you have the required plug in your bike's relay box it really is plug and play)

My 'metal magician' has fabricated a mounting frame for the lights in brushed stainless steel. Mounted off the sides of the sump, It would probably look even better in matt black.

Used a Lightforce H4 headlight patch to draw power for two pair of LED lights . One pair are wired in to the low beam and throw a pool of light. the other pair are 10cm round, each shine a spot and are wired to the high beam.

The earth for both lights, goes through a BMW on/off rocker switch (as does the original kit). To date, no fuses have been harmed in this exercise.

Previous
KZ750GT P2
CB400/4
CB250N
CB750/4 F2
CB360 T
CB200E

35Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:46 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I am followingg this thread with interest. For my K1100LT and my 83 K100RS.

So far I have bought in 2 sets of lights, non BMW, plus relays and wiring. I need a live supply from battery to relay which I intend to locate inside the fairing near the headlight to minimise altering existing wiring. For mounting I got police engine bars, these are wider and have a mounting point already in place. From battery to relay this is perrmanently live but will be fused near the battery. I intend to have a switch to allow the auxiliary lights to be switched off. 

I dont see much issue in that but the coments about OEM optional lights interests me because of the 83 RS. Are these available and are they good to use? Mounting is an issue as I am not keen to have them in a location that can damage the fairing if the bike falls over. It also has a belly pan which precludes using engine bars.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

36Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:08 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Olaf: yer stuffed if you think you'll be able to find somewhere to mount the lights that won't damage the fairing in a tip-over. The police bars is the only bar in town for that game. I spent hours trying to work around that one on both the RS and the RT. If you are using a Denali Trioptic 2.0 lighting setup then it is possble because the light units are tiny (I have a set on the Royal Enfield) but the price is astronomical

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234149929206?hash=item36846c60f6:g:T4QAAOSwedJhIBk3

The light output though... is also astronomical. I have one set up as a spot on high beam and one set up as a flood that stays permanently on when powered. Annoyingly, you can't buy the Trioptics without Denali's special 'data dim technology' wiring loom. And what is that? It's a feckin wire that goes to the high beam circuit and triggers a relay, that's what that is AND they charge you £80 for it. They also use an obscure Sumitomo Industries three pin connector which, I guess, is deliberate to put the homebrew crowd off. It took me a few hours to find a supplier, but find one I did. Denali wiring loom, meet trashcan. Royal Enfield, meet a proper plug'n'play wiring loom that actually turns off when you're turned off.

So...

What's your aim Olaf? Apart from straight down the road, that is. Do you want the flood/fog/whatever to come only when the dip beam is on, or do you want it permanently on when the circuit is powered up. I can't see the LT having any trouble with the power requirements; the RS depends on if you are on the OEM 33amp alternator and how much in the way of heated clothing you use. One is a two-relay solution (switched flood) and the other is a three-relays solution (permanent-on flood).

Also; on both bikes - is the white alarm connector free?

Karl: pleased to hear you got something set up in the end. I had wondered if you had succeeded.

[Edit]: It appears you can buy the Denalis as single units now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234149947084?hash=item36846ca6cc:g:wPUAAOSw9WxhIMR0

You've still got to source the Sumitomo Industries connector or hack it off the unit and replace it with something more sensible which will, of course, totally invalidate any form of non-existant warranty. I'm going for hack'n' slash next time now I know they are reliable (if there is a next time...).

Last edited by Dai on Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total

37Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:23 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:. . . the coments about OEM optional lights interests me because of the 83 RS. Are these available and are they good to use? Mounting is an issue as I am not keen to have them in a location that can damage the fairing if the bike falls over.
The OEM light are suspended on angled brackets that mount into tapped holes on the lower fork cross brace, like these.
OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Model_10

38Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:26 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Beugh. Fritz was having an off-day. Too much schnapps.

Yeah, I know. I probably couldn't have done any better OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit 44271

39Back to top Go down   OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Empty Re: OE BMW K100 Auxiliary Light Kit Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:26 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Dai,

Thanks for all that and a few points.

I do already have the police bars and that was my conclusion too, no other option. That sorts the K1100LT but not the RS......because I want to keep the belly pan and its one or the other. I have spotted those two possible mounting points and have some thoughts on using them but mounting the lights forward of the fairing so they dont end up between the fairing and the ground.

I want them for night time riding. Until covid kicked in I was doing 25,000 miles a year on the bikes but that has dropped back to about 12,000 in the last 2 years. A significant part is night time and winter riding. As you know some of our rural roads on a wet winters night are not ideal bike roads.

For switching I do plan on option of on/off on main beam only so yes 2 relays but also on/off from the main beam switch. That has always been my method of doing this. All I do is route a wire from the main beam through a switch to the second relay.

The RS has the original alternator in it but I dont use heated equipment of any kind and it doesnt have heated grips. I have been using old fashioned muffs, in -7c in winter over a 3 hour motorway run they are quite effective mated with a pair of fleece lined gloves I have for years. So well tested I dont plan to change it. I discovered I have a spare alternator too....easy swap on the RS if I did need it.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum