BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty clutch arm 10mm shaft length Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:59 pm

attitude

attitude
In the process of replacing slipping clutch on my 1996 K1100LT.  The clutch actuating arm rides on a 10 mm shaft.  This shaft has the retaining clips on each end.  The issue is that this shaft is 30mm longer than it needs to be.  
When I worked on my 1992 K75 a few years ago the 10mm shaft did not have this excess length and the washer with retaining clip  was tight up on each side of clutch arm and transmission castings.

Looked up part number on realoem and it appears to be the same 10mm shaft on all the K75, K100, K1100.
Anyone solved this and have a part number for the shorter 10mm shaft?

And what is the best way to avoid loosing those little #### snap rings, they fly off when released.
thanks,
Jerome up in Portland

2Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Re: clutch arm 10mm shaft length Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:10 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Are you talking about part #11 in this diagram?
clutch arm 10mm shaft length Clutch10
You are correct; it is the same part for K100, K75 and K1100. There is a side stand interlock assembly on the K75 and K100 which is not on the K1100 that pivots on this shaft and that accounts for the extra length. You'll note in the diagram above that several circles channels are depicted on part #11.  Is it possible the 10mm shaft is inserted in the actuator pivot improperly.

To precent the C-clips from flying around, you could wrap the area in a plastic bag before you release the clip.  Then it will be caught in the bag.  Or just take extreme care when releasing them.

3Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Re: clutch arm 10mm shaft length Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:54 am

attitude

attitude
I see that the long shaft is needed for the sidestand retraction lever pivot. So the shaft is on my k1100LT which does not have a sidestand retract mechanism. However it is a long shaft (#11) and does not have a groove midpoint for circlip to keep it positioned in the bearings. Bmw must make a short 10mm shaft because i have the shorter shaft on my k75. Anyone know a part number? Or do i need to machine in a groove for a circlip.

4Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Re: clutch arm 10mm shaft length Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:16 am

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
While you're there fit a grease nipple to the arm. It'll keep it lubed and keep the road crap out.
Regards Martin.
clutch arm 10mm shaft length Clutch24

5Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Re: clutch arm 10mm shaft length Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:25 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:Is it possible the 10mm shaft is inserted in the actuator pivot improperly.

To precent the C-clips from flying around, you could wrap the area in a plastic bag before you release the clip.  Then it will be caught in the bag.  Or just take extreme care when releasing them.
What Robmack says - pull the shaft out and turn it round. I have a long shaft on my RT which is C-clipped either side of the arm pivot. Also; you could put a towel on the floor and fire the clips downwards. If that fails... ebay's your friend! Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

6Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Re: clutch arm 10mm shaft length Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:49 am

attitude

attitude
The existing pivot shaft is about 30mm too long with grooves at each end for clips. Which means the washer under the end clips are not held against the casting to keep the shaft from wandering or to help seal against road grit.
Has anyone found a source or part number for the shorter pivot shaft?

7Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Clutch arm shaft Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:09 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Not familiar with k1100's but I'm gunna guess there's only one shaft available, that's why you can't find a part number for another one.

Maybe you're spose to have a spacer/s so you have the option to convert to the side stand retraction, which some people would prefer. You might be able to cut a short length of pipe or bush or something.

8Back to top Go down   clutch arm 10mm shaft length Empty Re: clutch arm 10mm shaft length Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Been and stuck head under LFB. ^^ You're right - I've got a spacer on there. My apologies for the wrong info, Attitude.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum