BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K1100 odometer gears metric & miles Empty K1100 odometer gears metric & miles Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:44 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
The odometer and trip meter on my K1100 have just stopped working, but the speedo continues to work, so stripped gears I'd say.

At the moment it is a mph unit, but I should have kmh in Aus. I have a kmh speedo face, so thats easy to change. As for the odometer & trip meter I think I should simply be able to put the correct gears in place to convert it over

My question is what size gears do I need for km? and where do I get them from?

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
You can get a mixed bag of gears from Aliexpress for around $6.00. A couple of the gears have to be pinned together and glued. I'll see if I can get more information off the K Kronie doing this. The gears are PTFE and require no lubricant and should outlast the bike.
Regards Martin.

4Back to top Go down   K1100 odometer gears metric & miles Empty Cheap Solution Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 am

StandardK

StandardK
Gold member
Gold member

Dan

walfish

walfish
Life time member
Life time member
If you contact Ricardo at   komandoalicante.   he has stock of these gears in either Kms or miles.

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
I've just ordered a mixed bag of gears off Aliexpress. We'll see how they go..

BenKRS

BenKRS
You'll go a little cross eyed sorting the different gears. I ended up getting a couple of different lots to cover all the gear combinations for later replacements (plus the other busted speedos). For my kmh speedo z12 for the motor pinion (had to drill the bore to fit on the shaft and this is the one most likely broken), then z16/24, z34/40, z22/23 and then z11/33. I replace the z12 and made up a 34/40 as the original simply broke between my fingers. the gears have been previously described as being made from cheese...I believe that's a bit generous! I did shim the gears with small washers just to make sure everything lined up nicely and turn smoothly. Follow the guide StandardK posted. Its pretty straight forward really and just a little satisfying when you've completed it

Regards Ben

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
There are 200 gears in the bag I've ordered (~$10). Hopefully among this there will be the right ones. Failing that I'll go with the chap in Sydney as per Ricks post

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Handy info. Mine have just failed on the K11RS. Thanks

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 K1100 odometer gears metric & miles Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]