BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Just wondering if there's a single repository of information where various electrical functions reside and where their connectors are located. Yeah, I know that's wanting things made too simple but... My emergency flasher unit on Red isn't working. No big deal, it's optional and not needed until you're in trouble. But the Haynes manual shows it as the Hazard Flash Switch and has three wires, one a ground (I suspect all brown wires are grounds) and the other two connected to the flasher unit. As the turn signals work I would suspect it's a connector. I'm assuming the flasher relay is in the electrical box under the back of the gas tank and front of the saddle which has the fuses mounted on its side. So I'm trying to work out where the connector for the Hazard Flash Switch is located and I would prefer not to tear the whole bike apart trying to follow it. Any suggestions as to where a master list of devices and connectors might be located or where this particular connector might be found? I would Suspect alongside the main frame tube on the side but that's an hour or so to tear into it just to find out if I'm wrong.

best regards
JJefferies

2Back to top Go down   Electrical components Location and Connectors Empty Hazard lights Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:54 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
It's under the tank on the left side.

The BMW 2V workshop manual has drawings of the harnesses on the frame.

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
You could try here  Tech Page   It is via a link on the home page.  

Try the first diagram then work your way down.  

Handy hint:  You may want to print these pages out for future reference.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Here is some information that will help you diagnose the problem.

The 4-way flashers is just a feature of the flasher module, activated by the switch. There are three wires as you point out.  The switch is a combined SPST switch and indicator bulb.  Both share a common connection.  One wire therefore is the common connection -- Yellow/Violet. This wire goes to Pin 'W' on the flasher module.  The next wire is brown and goes to the other pole of the SPST switch.  As you point out, it goes to ground.  Finally there is the bulb.  The third wire -- Blue/White -- attaches to that.  It goes to Pin 'C' on the flasher module.  The bulb is optional.  To test the feature on your module, just temporarily ground Pin 'W'.  If you get 4-ways, then the switch is defective (or wires).  If you don't get 4-ways, the module is most likely defective.

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
The components within the dash switch itself are likely dirty or oxidized. I had one quit on me and cleaning it restored its function. Forum member duck has created a helpful page for this purpose.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:Here is some information that will help you diagnose the problem.

The 4-way flashers is just a feature of the flasher module, activated by the switch. There are three wires as you point out.  The switch is a combined SPST switch and indicator bulb.  Both share a common connection.  One wire therefore is the common connection -- Yellow/Violet. This wire goes to Pin 'W' on the flasher module.  The next wire is brown and goes to the other pole of the SPST switch.  As you point out, it goes to ground.  Finally there is the bulb.  The third wire -- Blue/White -- attaches to that.  It goes to Pin 'C' on the flasher module.  The bulb is optional.  To test the feature on your module, just temporarily ground Pin 'W'.  If you get 4-ways, then the switch is defective (or wires).  If you don't get 4-ways, the module is most likely defective.
Thanks, Interestingly the switch is SPST and only has two wires. But your suggestion got me moving and I pried it (gently) out and found that the solder joint is bad as in broken. And when I connected the two wires the lights worked as they should. Thanks. Just needed to have a direction to go in and apparently that is fixable. Oh and for some reason there is no light in the switch. Just the SPST switch.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
It's a bit fiddly but you can solder in a 12v mini pigtail globe.
Regards Martin.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:It's a bit fiddly but you can solder in a 12v mini pigtail globe.
Regards Martin.
That's a thought but the amount of space inclines me to just solder it back and leave be.

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Good  that you have a direction to progress towards.  I believe lit switches were supplied with earlier models and not with later models.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Well it was a mess of a job. I soldered the broken off wire to the contact with barely enough slack to get the two pieces together. I rather dislike it when one has to solder two pieces by holding them next to each other. But there wasn't even room to push a solder sucker into place and clean up the old contact. And of course no room to wrap tape or shrink wrap on. So I potted the whole back with "liquid tape" a plastic compound which advertises being resistant to everything. Grrrr!.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
When I repurposed a switch I had to change the symbol. The symbols on the switches pop out and can be removed with fine wet and dry and cutting compound. New self-adhesive symbols can be purchased at your local electronics store. Once installed coat the new symbol with clear lacquer. I needed the new switch to illuminate to show that it was on, so I soldered in a tiny led and a resistor. https://www.k100-forum.com/t1847-hazard-warning-switch-light-bulb
Regards Martin.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:When I repurposed a switch I had to change the symbol. The symbols on the switches pop out and can be removed with fine wet and dry and cutting compound. New self-adhesive symbols can be purchased at your local electronics store. Once installed coat the new symbol with clear lacquer. I needed the new switch to illuminate to show that it was on, so I soldered in a tiny led and a resistor. https://www.k100-forum.com/t1847-hazard-warning-switch-light-bulb
Regards Martin.
Thanks for the clue of where to look for the symbols I've been wanting replace on the switches. Was thinking of just using white paint. But I'm such a sad artist that finding self adhesive symbols would be much preferred. And given how sad that switch looked when I popped it out. Think I'll hit up my buddies/acquaintances in the used bikes business and see if I can find an entire new switch.

J.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Narva and Ridge Ryder  do stick on symbols, stocked by electronics stores and auto accessory stores.
Narva White Switch Decal Set - 4WD - 63175BL
SKU: A9472791

[size=32]Ridge Ryder Sticket Set - To Suit LED Rocker Switches
[/size]

Avenger GT

Avenger GT
Life time member
Life time member
The easiest way to clean old solder from a connector or solder joint on a panel is de-soldering braid or wick as it's also called. It's much kinder to delicate printed circuits than a solder sucker pump. Any electronics store should have it. I cleaned up and re-soldered a three wire version of that switch a few years ago. The wire connections had rotted off of the bulb and everything inside the switch was covered in corrosion. I dumped the internal bulb and converted it to two wire. The internal light is not really necessary since the indicator lights in the instrument cluster light up anyway when the hazard lights are on.

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
MartinW wrote:Narva and Ridge Ryder  do stick on symbols, stocked by electronics stores and auto accessory stores.
Narva White Switch Decal Set - 4WD - 63175BL
SKU: A9472791

[size=32]Ridge Ryder Sticket Set - To Suit LED Rocker Switches
[/size]
Well, it was/is a good idea. Tried Narva through ebay. Price for the stickers is $12.50 USD. Shipping is USD $24.46 (if I remember correctly).  The sheet of stickers can't weigh much more than a sheet or two of paper.  I don't know if this is common practice but that charge seriously puts me off. I'll keep looking.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum