BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Greetings from Manchester England Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:26 am

Mungrel

Mungrel
Greetings all!

I've been riding close to 40 years, and I currently own a 1992 K1100LT with 80k miles on the clock. I also own an '02 R1150 GS Adventure, but that's another story.

The K1100 came to me via a friend after it had been sat in his garage for a couple of years, with around 100 miles a year between mandatory vehicle inspections ( known as MOT tests here in the UK).

It started misbehaving almost immediately for me and puked all its coolant out over the boots of the MOT tester: turns out the fan had seized. ( They rev the nuts off vehicles to shove a probe up their pipe to check emissions....now there's a theme for a South Park movie, eh, Cartman? lol)

I replaced the fan, thermostat, coolant etc, and found loads of other little issues that became progressively bigger ones. I ended up replacing the whole exhaust system after finding more than one crack in the welded downpipes, along with a struggle getting some gnarled and cross-threaded studs out whilst I was at it.

Lots of electrical gremlins persist, ( when it gets over 30 degrees C here the rev counter stops working, and the temp gauge oscillates wildly for example) which are amusing and annoying by turns, and I had to have all the brake calipers refurbished due to seized pistons and general lack of use.

Oh yes, I completely removed every trace of the mark one ABS system, wires and switches included. 

Cheap winter bikes eh?

I'll post pics as and when but for now, as a retiree, it's granddad's taxi time in between house renovations.

Andy

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Greetings from Manchester England 177912 

Firstly, I suggest you find another MoT station that knows what it's doing. There is no requirement for an emissions test for a vehicle of that age. I was inadvertantly involved with tests of tests for motorcycle emissions back in the very late 1980s; my V1000G5 got its revenge by breaking the emissions probe.

Secondly; wrap a bloody great jublilee clip around the exhaust pipes about two inches in front of the silencer. That will kill the harmonics that cause the cracking.

Thirdly: the rev counter problem is almost certainly caused by the instrument face warping. The instrument panel is easy enough to get into, but given the usual weather conditions on this festering isle, I'd ignore that one.

Fourthly: search 'seized fan' or 'spal' on the forum. Lots of advice including how to replace the OEM one with something a lot cheaper. That one does require some metal carving skills.

Last: the temperature sendor is under the oil/water pump at the front of the engine. It's the black wire - check the connector for corrosion. Do the same for the oil temp sender (brown/green) while you're at it.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Just to clarify the K1100 has 2 temperature sensors. The one under the water/oil pump serves only the temperature gauge and nothing else. The one behind the radiator controls the fan and feeds into the motronic unit and affects the running of the bike. Odds are you need to replace vacuum caps, vacuum pipes etc. There is an inaccessible crankcase vent pipe buried between the throttle bodies and the air box, a large J shape thats prone to cracking and causing issues. Strongly recommend replacing the outside tank fuel lines. 8/13mm pipe you can get in a Honda dealer but make sure its for fuel injection. Hondas use the same pipe as our Ks.

Last edited by 92KK 84WW Olaf on Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

Mungrel

Mungrel
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Just to clarify the K1100 has 2 temperature sensors. The one under the water/oil pump serves only the temperature gauge and nothing else. The one behind the radiatopr controls the fan and feeds into the motronic unit and affects the running of the bike. Odds are you need to replace vacuum caps, vacuum pipes etc. There is an inaccessible crankcase vent pipe buried between the throttle bodies and the air box, a large J shape thast sprone to cracking and causing issues. Strongly recommend repalcing the outside tank fuel lines. 8/13mm pipe you can get in a Honda dealer but make sure its for fuel injection. Hondas use the same pipe as our Ks.

Awesome advice on all points. Many thanks indeed.

The fairings will all be off shortly to fit new speaker housing ( mines cracked and looks like old and knackered) so I will tackle all the other issues whilst it's in bits in the garage.

Best regards

Andy

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Firstly, I suggest you find another MoT station that knows what it's doing. There is no requirement for an emissions test for a vehicle of that age.
There is if its owner wants to ride it in an Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ), which Manchester seems intent on establishing, with some difficulty.

Who would know more about that than an American, I ask you?  Laughing

Mungrel

Mungrel
Laitch wrote:
Dai wrote:Firstly, I suggest you find another MoT station that knows what it's doing. There is no requirement for an emissions test for a vehicle of that age.
There is if its owner wants to ride it in an Ultra Low Emissions Zone (ULEZ), which Manchester seems intent on establishing, with some difficulty.

The Clean Air Zones are a) central government driven to be implemented by the local authority and b) only commercial vehicles, ( vans, trucks) and taxis fall under their remit, so us bikers are exempt.  ( As are ALL private citizens)
Plus, it's been thrown back to central government for them to make a decision on because it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut

bad boy

bad boy
Life time member
Life time member
hi Andy

Greetings from Manchester England 177912 here

and good luck with all the issues your K does have.

btw: My original ABS II was completely discarded some five years ago, too. I haven't been missing that erratically working system since then, ever.

Greetings from Manchester England 9438-010

8Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Re: Greetings from Manchester England Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:04 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Mungrel wrote:
Laitch wrote:

The Clean Air Zones are a) central government driven to be implemented by the local authority and b) only commercial vehicles, ( vans, trucks) and taxis fall under their remit, so us bikers are exempt.  ( As are ALL private citizens)
Plus, it's been thrown back to central government for them to make a decision on because it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut
I did not think bikes were exempt. I have a 1983 K100Rs I am looking forward to being able to use in London when it hits 40 years old. Is it a case Manchester will be different?

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 49,200 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 63,390 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

9Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Re: Greetings from Manchester England Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:43 am

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Mungrel wrote:The Clean Air Zones are a) central government driven to be implemented by the local authority and b) only commercial vehicles, ( vans, trucks) and taxis fall under their remit, so us bikers are exempt.  ( As are ALL private citizens)
But of course! It's a CAZ, not a ULEZ—a wonderful permutation with simpler spelling and only one syllable to pronounce.  Greetings from Manchester England 112350

10Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Re: Greetings from Manchester England Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:08 pm

Arlina

Arlina
Welcome Andy Smile

11Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Re: Greetings from Manchester England Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:19 am

Bernie_K100

Bernie_K100
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi Andy,

Greetings from Manchester England 177912 to this forum!

Bernie

12Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Re: Greetings from Manchester England Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:49 am

Mungrel

Mungrel
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:
Mungrel wrote:
Laitch wrote:

I did not think bikes were exempt. I have a 1983 K100Rs I am looking forward to being able to use in London when it hits 40 years old. Is it a case Manchester will be different?

I have it on good authority ( I went to an open meeting to hear the truth and not what the Facebook mongers of doom/ local angry rag of a newspaper had to say) that the CAZ in GM is ONLY for commercial vehicles and not in any way shape of form aimed at private motorists. It also does NOT cover Motorways or trunk roads maintained by Highways England. Hence the massive overspend so far on putting up billions of signs at each location where the charge ( if it ever materialises at all) will start and end. The Central Government have promised millions in subsidies to small firms to upgrade their old polluting diesels to newer Euro 6 compliant emissions. Of course, none of that is positive news for the keyboard warriors or publishers of the local rag thats only good for wrapping your chips in LOL.
The thinking behind these schemes is sound. Take for example the road I live on. It shaves about 8 miles ( a gallon of diesel for a 44 tonne truck!) if they come off the M62 motorway two junctions early and use my road ( now a dual carriageway after widening) and re-join the M60. I have to have all my windows closed from 0600-1000 and 1600-1900 Mon-Fri due to the excessive pollution and noise. A lot of the trucks that use this route are non-UK and in poor states of repair yet these polluting wrecks currently get away with everything. Some sort of deterrent ( keep them on the motorway or levya charge if they choose to stray off it) is in my opinion loing overdue. Try driving an HGV on an Autobahn without a levy and see what happens. Or tryu driving in London without paying the congestion charge.....

13Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Re: Greetings from Manchester England Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:12 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah. I've seen a few late-model going-cheap bricks on ebay because their owners lived in the ULEZ. CAZ is way different.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

14Back to top Go down   Greetings from Manchester England Empty Neighbours Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:38 am

chris gleave

chris gleave
Hi Mungrel,

Great minds think alike  -  I too have a K (100RSSE) and an R1150GS (1999). Live in Northwich, 25 miles from Manchester. Must meet up some time?

Chris Gleave

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum