BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Cleaning The Fuel Rail Empty Cleaning The Fuel Rail Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:16 am

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Still working on my project K100. Took the fuel injectors off and sent them  to Mr. Injector to be refurbished. Which will include new o-rings. But the original fuel rail was quite rusted on the outside. Inside didn't look too bad I thought but I can't tell for sure. Any suggestions on how to clean the inside of a fuel rail. The outside I'm thinking to just clean off and repaint or possibly powder coat. I haven't done a powder coating job in a year or two. So that would be fun. Wink  But I'm not sure how to get to the inside surfaces and get ride of any gunk or rust. Of course just using solvents might be ok for gunk. But rust would be an issue. Suggestions invited.
Thanks
J.

2Back to top Go down   Cleaning The Fuel Rail Empty Re: Cleaning The Fuel Rail Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:47 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Get the exterior stripped, then, you can go after the interior.

First, I would go after the inside with carb cleaner and/or acetone to get rid of any gummed up old fuel.  Give it a good soak for a couple days and then blow out the interior. 

Follow that with a soak for a couple days in white vinegar followed by a vinegar rinse of the inside to get rid of the rust.  That should get you a clean part ready to powder coat.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Cleaning The Fuel Rail Empty Re: Cleaning The Fuel Rail Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:08 pm

jjefferies

jjefferies
Life time member
Life time member
Point-Seven-five wrote:Get the exterior stripped, then, you can go after the interior.

First, I would go after the inside with carb cleaner and/or acetone to get rid of any gummed up old fuel.  Give it a good soak for a couple days and then blow out the interior. 

Follow that with a soak for a couple days in white vinegar followed by a vinegar rinse of the inside to get rid of the rust.  That should get you a clean part ready to powder coat.
Sounds good and sensible. Will give it a go.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum