BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) Empty A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member

Disclaimer: This will not provide you with a working fuel sending unit. What it will do is allow you to cheaply replace the rusty fuel sending unit with one that will allow power to get to the fuel pump.
Rather than spending $325 on a new unit this fix will cost about 50 bucks.

What you need to buy:
  • Fuel level float ring for $5   #62 16 1 459 608 from Euro Motoelectrics
  • Fuel Systems  in-tank wiring  $20 from Euro Motoelectrics
  • Motorcycle Scooter Fuel Tank Level Gauge Oil Meter Sender Sensor for WY-125 $13.29 on eBay 

The new unit looks like this:A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) 20230111

Last edited by brianpen on Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
I carefully broke the new fuel level potentiometer off the base. When you do this you want to leave a tit of metal protruding up from the base. (I got lucky for mine to break that way.) 
Then you are ready to solder two new wires to the inside base. 
I drilled a small hole into the tit of metal to make soldering easier. 
I even used the existing solder left behind on the center post.
Next, I attached the two rings that fit the post on the fuel pump (from old unit).
You can then either attach the connector from an old unit onto  the outside lead , or as I have done used a new two wire connector on both the bike and this unit, as the oem connectors are know problems.

A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) 20230112
A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) 20230113

Last edited by brianpen on Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
Finally, I used the new float ring gasket on the new unit and installed it with the four original bolts. The  beauty of this unit is that the bolt holes line up perfectly.
I apologize for the disjointed posts. Couldn't figure out how to add text below a photo. Anyhow I hope this saves someone who is faced with a fuel sending unit that is rusted beyond repair.

Matthew-Brisbane

Matthew-Brisbane
Life time member
Life time member
Brilliant

2004 F650 GS known as DACK-DACK

#### K100 RS Project 
2011 R1200 GS known as Big Blue 

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Thanks Brian that's good to see. I also checked out the same unit on Aliexpress and it is about $6-8USD. I also notices that there is a gauge that goes with some of the fuel level senders so all in all we are onto a good thing here.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

brianpen

brianpen
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Matthew and Rick. It is amazing how BMW can ask such a price for basically the same item. I hope this saves a few members some hard earned money.
I've gotten so much valuable advice from this forum's members that I am glad to add to the brain trust.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
If anyone goes Brian's route, scrape/sand/file the passivation layer (the gold layer) off the terminals before you attempt to solder new wires on. Solder won't take properly over a protective passivation layer. Also, use something like this (I use it):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224959202594?var=523834181156

rather than rely solely on multicore solder. Use a high lead content solder as it melts at a lower temperature and is easier to handle when soldering an area that has a high heat sink potential. Lastly, I wouldn't use a soldering iron of less than 35 watts that is equipped with a spade tip to do this job.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

8Back to top Go down   A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) Empty Re: A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:26 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Might be better with silver solder, rather than lead based.  Select a 62/36/2 (Sn/Pb/Ag). product. Twice the tensile strength of 60/40 (Sn/Pb) and equal electrical properties.

Starbuck787

Starbuck787
got the part from ebay, perfect match, getting the soldering done and then off to the races!! Thanks again!!

10Back to top Go down   A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) Empty Re: A $15 Fuel Level Sender (sort of) Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:12 pm

lefthander

lefthander
Silver member
Silver member
Hello Brian, great help here as I'm going this route just like this. One question is when going to Euromoto when I search in tank wiring it takes me to basically all the fuel hose options but nothing with electrical wire. Do I need to call them as in a special type order? Laitch directed me to this fix and I have everything ordered but the inner tank electrical wiring. Could the original wiring possibly be used? Thanks again for this fix.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum