BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

MikeisonTV

MikeisonTV
Silver member
Silver member
So when I turn the key to the on position, with the kill switch in the run position, the bike sometimes will start when I pull the clutch lever in--before I push the touch start button. 🤔

If the bike is in neutral, and I do the starting process--the bike sometimes cranks a for a sec then the speedo goes blank or a second as it's lost power. (Almost like a loose battery terminal or failing connection.

Electrical gurus--what should I be testing? Battery is 13.5v and drops to 13.2v on start up so that seems to be okay

Bricklayer

Bricklayer
Silver member
Silver member
When I had very similar issues the fix for mine was cleaning the carbon deposit that accumulated on my starter motor. Pull it out and apart and use a pencil eraser to remove the carbon. I don't have a part number for a $199.00 BMW OEM pencil but any should work. I have done this in a parking lot of a Circle K at 2AM in the middle of Texas.

Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Tip10

https://anthonymrugacz.net

View Past Stable of Ponies:
1978 Suzuki TS185
1976 BMW R90/6
1973 Yamaha LT3-MX
1970 BMW R75/5
1970 Suzuki T500
https://anthonymrugacz.net/

MikeisonTV

MikeisonTV
Silver member
Silver member
It's been several years since I've cleaned in contacts in the starter. Definitely worth going through. I wonder if I can source some used BMW pencils 🤪

This form inspired me to start using all different types of parts on my bike. From building Fuel Pumps to putting sport bike front end on it with a Cognito moto axle and triple tree.

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
I have the pencil and the really rare matching pencil sharpener.
Regards Martin.
Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Pencil10

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Check the starter button the small spring may have collapsed causing the button to always be in contact.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Empty Odd issue Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:43 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
What bike you got, what year, how (electrically) stock is it? 6, 8 or 16 valve?

How do you normally start it, like do you always pull in the clutch before pressing the start button? For example I don't use the clutch, the kill switch is always engaged, never use the choke, I just turn the key on and press the start button while it's on the centre stand.

Are you doing anything different to usual when you have this problem? Does it only happen say when warm, or on the side stand, or with the handle bar turned left, turned right etc?

With the key on, does it crank with the handle bar turned left or right, or with the instrument cluster wires wiggled, right handlebar wires wiggled, or other wire's wiggled, or the kill switch wiggled?

When you press the start button you should feel the spring compress, when you release the button you should feel the spring pushing the button back up again.

MikeisonTV

MikeisonTV
Silver member
Silver member
I'll definitely check the spring under the button, Duck. Though it feels like it's in place. The outer edges of the green button fell off years ago, the only difference I've noticed is, it's harder to start with gloves until this problem.

Generally, I have the bike in neutral turn the key hit the button and it fires on. Rarely do I pull the clutch--just noticed that malfunction upon troubleshooting.

I'm going to clean the starter brushes and check the spring underneath the push button start as advised. 🫡

8Back to top Go down   Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Empty Odd issue Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:49 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
It's the outer part of the green button that retains the spring, so I guess the spring has been missing for years too.  So let's say the start button is engaged on the occasions when it starts before you press the button when you pull in the clutch, but then it should have started before you pulled in the clutch. That makes me guess your new problem is that the gear indicator switch isn't working properly. In that case the neutral light wouldn't be glowing while you have this problem. If it does glow while you have this problem before you pull in the clutch, which then results in the starter turning, then my guess is wrong.

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

10Back to top Go down   Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Empty Odd problem Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:14 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Not happy with my grammar last time, this is what I was trying to say.
Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Img_2097

Also the gear indicator should read 0 while the neutral light is on.

At the top of the drawing you see fuse one. I think you're saying that it's an intermittent problem when the instrument cluster lights cut out (Speedo lights) so check that fuse one is clean and tight, and replace the fuse with a new one. The fuses are deliberately the weakest link, might as well replace them all with new one's, they're cheap and easy to do. It's a good bit of preventive maintenance.

MikeisonTV

MikeisonTV
Silver member
Silver member
Thank you for sending the button replacement link--unfortunately I'm in California and I don't believe there's an option on his website to send here. I still have the underneath side of the button and will include a picture (the spring is still under there.)

I cleaned the starter brushes, and that seems to have resolved the issue. 

If anyone knows of a green starter button replacement in the US--I'd love to know about it. I have thought about making one and gluing it to the green part that exists.
Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Img_2716

Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Img_2714

12Back to top Go down   Having an odd issue that I'm sure has been sorted on here before with starting Empty Odd problem Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:53 pm

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
Ok, with a multimeter, some questions about the starter relay.
With ignition off, do you have power at 86 black/yellow wire? You shouldn't.
With ignition on, do you have power at 86? You shouldn't.
With ignition off, do you have earth at 85 brown/red? You shouldn't.
With ignition on,  do you have earth at 85? You shouldn't

( Edit: that's if the problem returns)

Maybe revisit the questions about turning the handlebar, I don't like the way it looks like the switches make contact with the tank ( Edit: it looks to be non original forks which might be causing trouble with the wiring)

Last edited by daveyson on Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:36 am; edited 3 times in total

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
MikeisonTV wrote:If anyone knows of a green starter button replacement in the US--I'd love to know about it. I have thought about making one and gluing it to the green part that exists.
If you're still looking for alternatives, read all the way through this thread.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum