BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Replacement starter button Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Don't know if this is very common but I lost my green starter button a couple of months back. The green centre was still there as well as the spring . It appears that the green rubbery outer weather proof button is normally glued to the rigid plastic centre. This had given way and my little green button was lost on the road somewhere between my last stop and home - about 2 klm. I spent 3hrs walking the road and back to try and find it but to no avail. Crying or Very sad 

I did look online but at the time there was one or two second hand assemblies available in Oz but they looked pretty ratty.

Eventually came across a very easy workaround. I found that the black rubber plunger from a 10ml syringe fitted snuggly over the red kill switch stub. Had to remove the spring as it was too long and just pushed the new button off. It worked fine so I applied a couple of thin smears of contact adheasive to the green centre button shaft and the inside of the new black button cover.

Its been there for over a month now and I've given it a tug and it seems to be fairly secure. The black plunger rubber had a slight conical tip which I smoothed down with some wet & dry paper.

Replacement starter button New_st10

Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added description)

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Replacement starter button Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

2Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:02 am

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Hi Kaptain,

A common problem indeed,
https://www.k100-forum.com/t1430-starter-button-busted

But your solution looks great.

Thanks for posting.

dee why

04/86 K100 VIN 0009479 Columbia Silver

3Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:41 am

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
ingenius , who'da thought. glad to see you removed the sharp prongy thing . well done . hope it continues to work.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Replacement starter button 10_x_110

4Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:13 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
great solution ...have fun !

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Still working ? Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm

cliverocky

cliverocky
Still Working?

6Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:53 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
It was a great short term solution for 12 months but I found that without the spring to retract the contactor the contacts would jiggle around and more often than not they would make contact. At that time the idle was quite high but would settle down if I pulled the button out. I was also having a few issues with my starter relay and went thru 2 units. I suspected that the starter button issue was the cause of these problems. I've since installed a fabricated button, courtesy of one of our generous members, and have had no issues like this since.

The pattern for the button is somewhere here on our forum and there are instructions for removing and cleaning the starter/kill switch assembly. Try the search box on the Portal page.
Cheers.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Replacement starter button Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

7Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Green button link Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:22 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
There is a guy in Alicante - Spain who produce green ignition button replica. Price is 8 Euro plus shipping. Site is in spanish but you can contact him by mail, in english.
I bought speedometer gears from him. Fast and kind. Here is a link: http://www.hardtoptire.com/producto-hardtop.php?id=178&id_familia=105&id_catalogo=19

Regards

Last edited by nino on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

8Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:56 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Nino!

Would be nice to have a adrress or link

Cheers

9Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:57 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Chocolate wrote:Hey Nino!

Would be nice to have a adrress or link

Cheers

Look again

10Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Yeeeep :-)

11Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Thanks Nino Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 am

Sunnyk75

Sunnyk75
I have been using the syringe plunger solution for over a year now and generally have had success. While it is a good solution at the time, I was always hoping for a permanent solution. 

Thanks for replying with the link Nino

Sunny

12Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Group purchase Mon May 08, 2017 8:33 am

cliverocky

cliverocky
Would anyone be interested if I buy some.

In australia

13Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Mon May 08, 2017 1:30 pm

nino

Life time member
Life time member
Sunnyk75 wrote:I have been using the syringe plunger solution for over a year now and generally have had success. While it is a good solution at the time, I was always hoping for a permanent solution. 

Thanks for replying with the link Nino

Sunny
Here is a link http://www.hardtoptire.com/familia-hardtop.php?id_familia=105&id_catalogo=19

Site is in spanish, but you can send a message in english on info@hardtoptire.com. The owner will answer in english

Regards

14Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Mon May 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
nino wrote:Here is a link http://www.hardtoptire.com/familia-hardtop.php?id_familia=105&id_catalogo=19
Site is in spanish, but you can send a message in english on info@hardtoptire.com. The owner will answer in english
The page can be translated into English by clicking on the Union Jack in the upper right corner.

15Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Yet Another Starter Button Option Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:23 am

Kafflut

Kafflut
Silver member
Silver member
I could not work up the appetite for the $200 OEM solution. Not even for the much more reasonable Spanish one mentioned - I think that's 8 Euro

So, reducing the problem to its main components: the top of the green "mushroom" has parted company with the stem of the mushroom - I need a mushroom with an 18mm long stem and the stem needs to have a diameter that goes from 5mm at the top to 2.5mm and then 3mm as indicated below. Inside the hole through the red thingy there is a narrowing that, with the narrowing of the stem, restricts movement, stops the button from popping out and stops it from going too far down. Plus I need a spring of course.

Replacement starter button Starte11

Fortunately Eureka, in the process of making pop rivets, inadvertently provides such a mushroom.

In the image below you will notice the red thingy and the original metal pin that is pressed into the original green thingy which broke. You will also notice among other stuff a Eureka pop rivet head which will be the donor part for the mushroom - the diameter and head are perfect - it has to be shortened a bit.

You will also notice that some blacksmithing has been done; hammer flat the pin above where the manufacturer thickened the pin to keep the rivet head and pin together. The ID of the rivet head is too big to press fit the original pin.

Replacement starter button Starte12

Assemble the red thingy, scavenged spring, mushroom and rivet pin. Press fit. If pressed in too far - tap the other end so it's not pressed in too far - adjust - until it operates properly

Cut off the excess pin and turn a suitable rubber cap on the lathe. Pity it's not green like the OEM part, but I can live with black instead of green. Once fitted in the handle bar control I'll stick the rubber cap on with contact adhesive

Replacement starter button Starte13

Rubber cap attached

[size=16]Replacement starter button Starte18
[/size]

Pressed in (that's a washer in the vice - too few hands to hold, press in and take photo)

Replacement starter button Starte15

Released

Replacement starter button Starte16

http://bmwk100k75.weebly.com/

16Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:32 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Brilliant - absolutely brilliant!

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

17Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I just repaired mine. Steps included drilling a small hole in the green stalk and finding a suitable self tapping screw. The screw is placed through a small washer and the spring and screwed into the hole of the green stalk. A suitable cover is then siliconed on top.
I was slack and attacked this without removing anything from the bike. This system has worked on my basic K100 for the past 13 years and is now on my 87 RT.

18Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Why I'm here Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:19 pm

kappy1027

kappy1027
Silver member
Silver member
Holister wrote:Don't know if this is very common but I lost my green starter button a couple of months back. The green centre was still there as well as the spring . It appears that the green rubbery outer weather proof button is normally glued to the rigid plastic centre. This had given way and my little green button was lost on the road somewhere between my last stop and home - about 2 klm. I spent 3hrs walking the road and back to try and find it but to no avail. Crying or Very sad 

I did look online but at the time there was one or two second hand assemblies available in Oz but they looked pretty ratty.

Eventually came across a very easy workaround. I found that the black rubber plunger from a 10ml syringe fitted snuggly over the red kill switch stub. Had to remove the spring as it was too long and just pushed the new button off. It worked fine so I applied a couple of thin smears of contact adheasive to the green centre button shaft and the inside of the new black button cover.

Its been there for over a month now and I've given it a tug and it seems to be fairly secure. The black plunger rubber had a slight conical tip which I smoothed down with some wet & dry paper.

Replacement starter button New_st10
This is exactly why I'm in this group. The genius solutions that others have come up with before me will save me SO much time. Thank you for this. I know this is an old post, but hopefully my resurrecting it will help others find it also. I'm in Nicaragua where I can't get parts but I can get syringes.,

19Back to top Go down   Replacement starter button Empty Re: Replacement starter button Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:34 pm

komandoalicante

komandoalicante
Silver member
Silver member

https://picasaweb.google.com/100417997445250027277

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum