BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Empty Western District Ride, Victoria Oz Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:12 am

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
I sense some of you
Northern Hemispherians are suffering from a bit of cabin fever, so I will have
a go at a ride report….

This ride, last June,
was my second attempt at relaunching my motorcycle touring and camping hobby of
the mid 1970’s and early 1980’s. The first attempt was a wash out and I
retreated after one night, something I still get a hard time about from my
youngest son.

After a long time of dreaming
and slowly and secretly replacing the clunky family car camping equipment with
the new tech super sleek gear (except for my faithful 35 year old trangia) it
was time to hit the road. Group rides in the Victorian
alps are fine, but I was sick of trying to hustle the lardy old girl (and lardy
rider) through the tight bends to keep up with others. It was the open sweeping
roads, large gums trees and green pastures that I wanted. K country!

Most of all I wanted
to camp alone for the first time in my life and finally settle that nagging question,
would I encounter a crazed local in the middle of the night or be taken by one
of the beasts that feed in the Aussie bush after dark?

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Wester10

Determined to get
away earlier than my previous attempt I woke early to a thick winter fog. I
wasn’t going to play in the Melbourne commuter traffic in that so a delay was
in order and by mid morning we were out of town ready for a fuel stop on a
bright winter’s day.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Little11

Heading out on to the
western plains you pass through towns that grew up at a river crossing (small
rivers down here) with the largest building often being a second generation pub
and stables. In Victoria these towns are usually about 160 years old and the
earlier buildings were constructed with what was at hand. As we are entering
volcanic country, in this case it was basalt, known locally as bluestone. Hard
as nails.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Inverl10

Inverleigh Pub
Time for a quick
coffee and a chat to the truckies at Lismore and then push on to Penshurst for
fuel. Down to Macarthur and then the 7k ride out to Mount Eccles National Park
and my camp for the night. There was only one other couple camping. Peace and
quiet – perfect.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Time_t10

Time to set up camp

On dusk I rode back
to the Macarthur pub for a meal, sadly fisherman’s basket out of a box, but the
locals were friendly. The night was cold and clear and the stars in the country
sky amazing! I rode slowly enjoying the view and keeping a keen eye out for
road using wildlife. The night was uneventful except for having pitched my tent
in the middle of a kangaroo freeway, with the odd bounding thumps waking me up
from time to time. Definitely wasn’t gonna put my head out that tent!

Next morning I get
the fire going, put on the coffee and tune into Radio National (think Radio4 or
PBS), go for a walk and slowly pack up with plenty of time to really check out
the new camping gear, you know the sort of thing.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Mornin10

Morning coffee

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Radio_10

Radio on and fire going

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Pretty10

Pretty good this

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Sun_we10

Sun well up

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Mist_b10

Mist burning off

But fate was
conspiring against me. First was the Toyota Landcuiser slowly moving towards me
(did I pay for my camping permit?) not the park ranger but 2 Adelaide Uni
academics who wanted to survey my national park usage – ahh. They were followed
by 2 grey nomads (I guess I’m almost one now) down from Sydney in a brilliant
Land Rover Defender and camper trailer. Lovely couple who made me morning tea
and talked motorbikes, but for some inexplicable reason, in an area of maybe 20
sites, they wanted to camp in mine.

I finally got away
and headed up to Hamilton for fuel and supplies and then on up to Harrow for a
look and late lunch. You will notice that we have tended to re use place names
from the old country (UK) in this part of the world. This is a legacy of our
English and Scottish explorers. This fertile area was inhabited by many
aboriginal tribes. In the 1830’s the area was explored by Major Mitchell who
rode down from Sydney and subsequently the area became a prime grazing area. But let’s not go there. I’m out for a ride.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Sheep_10

Sheep country

Time to head for my
second camp site. I had heard of the Cavendish town common on the Wannon River.
For $4.50 pick up a key to the local footy club showers at the general store
and head on down – bargain.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Footba10

Footy Aussie Rules style

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Hot_sh10

Hot shower up the hill

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Waterf10

Waterfront views

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Majest10

Majestic gums

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Last_v10

Last view of the sun for this trip

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Off_to10

Off to the local for a steak

I did have a
neighbor on the common who was riding his push bike from South Australia back
to Central Victoria. Peter was great company at the pub and at the general
store for breakfast the next morning. We said our goodbyes and boy was I glad I
was the one on the bike with the motor.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Cold_f10

The weather had turned. Cold front moving in

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Hunker10

Hunker down for the long wet ride home

I only had one duty
on the way home, to buy a winter scarf for my wife in Daylesford. But hey every
ride comes at a price. Planning the next escape…..

Dee Why
Thanks Google maps and AFL Picture:
Alex Coppel
Source: PerthNow

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow ...great trip dee

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Thanks for the posting.
Looking at the snow outside, I am just wishing to be 2 month older.
Anytime that it snows, I am cleaning a path to the shed expecting that it would be the last time.
Even if the snow was melting rapidly, I would have to wait another 2 weeks before being able to ride on the lawn.
Last year I tried too early and the bike got stocked. I spent 10 min on my own to try to move it, but had to gently drop it on the ground to go get some help. At the end, I didn't go for the ride and had to wait for the mud to dry. Sad

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Dee Why,
I had the exact same model K and miss it a lot.
You and Two Wheels Better posting your trips is a bonus for us unable to take to the road. However I have had a couple of rides recently so not as bad off as Bert (Crazy Frog) I will be looking forward to more please.
Ajays

AJAYS

5Back to top Go down   Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Empty Jonesing for a ride Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:11 pm

bobgass

bobgass
Silver member
Silver member
Yes, Dee. I'm one of those northern-types needing a ride. I'm happy to report that the temperature has risen above freezing, though, and my driveway is now dry. After work today I'll be doing tiny figure-8s in my driveway. Pathetic, but not without pleasure.

Part of my work this winter has been sorting through the family pile of much-too-large camping gear to find that which could be considered essential and small enough to get on the bike, and I hope to be able to report a trip similar to your own.

We, too, share lots of place names with the old sod, however our forefathers have very cleverly placed "New" in front of them so we Yanks won't get confused ;-)

BTW, I've always loved watching Aussie Rules Football when it is infrequently broadcast here in the states. I love the American game, but your version moves much faster (with no padding.)

Please share more!

Bob

That's the way, mate! I was down your way on the bike in July, the coldest Winter week I've spent in a long time. The temp got down to -2c as soon as the golden orb dropped. My aged mum lives alone in Clunes, near where you passed through at Creswick. I spent a few days with her sipping homemade soup (thanks, Mum!). The logs burnt bright in the wood burning stove those nights. Nice photos, too, by the way. Makes a former Victorian homesick. I spent a fair bit of my childhood running round barefoot looking for trouble on the Mornington and later on in Tassie. Now after seeing your photos and reading your descriptions, I'm inspired to ride there again, have a better look around those parts. Cheers.

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Today it was sooo hot! +.5C and the snow is melting. Yeah!
People must think that I am crazy shoveling the snow to the shed (Yes they are right). As soon as the F&%$@*g white stuff will be gone, I will be able to put the K100 on the road.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Dsc_1522

This rat with a nice tail is also fed up to beg for food (He was there when I took pictures of the shed)

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Dsc_1523

You see, nothing to do with bikes during the winter. We get amused with what we find. The squirrel is my new pet.

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Thank you all for the replies. Your feedback is much appreciated.
Ajays - yes I have spied your naked K100 sitting behind the pretty K75.
Two Wheels Better - I,ve had the need to do 2 mid winter night rides from Bendigo to Ballarat in the last 2 years. Yes it does get pretty brisk in the central highlands.
Bert and Bob - hang in there. Down here in the southern states of Oz we have to deal with cold and wet winters but no true riding season as such.
I have a write up to do of an overnighter to the South Australian BM club rally last October. Coming soon.
Cheers,
Dee Why

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
way to go dee .....last time i spend time with the sa bmw club was way too long ago

waiting for the next edition ....lots of pics too ???

bert thats a verry pretty pic of your back yard ....thems strange critters you have over there ..... maybe i can find some of our playmates for you to browse
Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Falls_10
a little mate that came up out of the bush when he smelt some thing on offer

A red or grey squirrel wouldn't stand a chance against a Drop Bear! 'Strewth, mate.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Two Wheels Better wrote:A red or grey squirrel wouldn't stand a chance against a Drop Bear! 'Strewth, mate.
bwaaahhahahahahah ...yep them drop bears are notorious ....good thought twb

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Hey,
Our grey and red squirrels would soon get the better of that weeny, 'cos they are experts at cracking nuts....I assume you are refering to the male drop bear.
Ajays

AJAYS

Nuh. It wuz the Drop Bear bitches I wuz referring to. The males are tame but in need of a shave. They don't often come out of the pub because that would mean letting go of their rum.
But we don't want to frighten the tourists. It's really pretty safe, trust me. Nothing would ever happen to you. Feel free to visit Australia, the Lucky Country. Oprah did. I even heard she wasn't too puffed climbing the Coathanger.

Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  Dropbe10

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Great Stuff Dee Why, Thanks so much for sharing that. The Trangia is the ultimate in my estimation for two wheel travel.
Regards,
K-BIKE

wikur

wikur
Silver member
Silver member
Great pics and text!
I too spotted the Trangia stove.
I got mine when I joined the scouts at age 12.
It`s still with me(47 now)though upgraded with a teflon frying pan and propane burner.
Cheers,Wikur!
By the way,-15.4C outside when posting........

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
By the way,-15.4C outside when posting........[/quote]

brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member

Roll on better weather and the chance to do the rounds again....Oh how I miss my K100.
I will have to show the K75s instead.
Ajays

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Dee, I enjoyed that you guys are giving me an almighty itch thats just got to be scratched, I noticed on the map Grampians national park I wonder where that name originated from Very Happy .

BIG D

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:
Two Wheels Better wrote:A red or grey squirrel wouldn't stand a chance against a Drop Bear! 'Strewth, mate.
bwaaahhahahahahah ...yep them drop bears are notorious ....good thought twb

Cool

Charlie,

Those Drop bears look mean, first time I have heard of one of them they look like a giant lizard similer to the American Hela monster had a few run in's with them, I like the name Drop bear.

BIG D

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Charlie,

Those Drop bears look mean, first time I have heard of one of them they look like a giant lizard similer to the American Hela monster had a few run in's with them, I like the name Drop bear.

BIG D[/quote]
sorry to disapoint d ,...but my post is of a little critter we call a goanna . the one i posted is merely a five footer with a toungue like a snake...... we call them "food" when the grocery store is closed (fantastic bush tucker )...great for bbqs although a little gamey chicken in flavour ,, always good to stash some herbs in the backpack
i believe they are a distant relative to the "great northern trouser snake " for which the "drop bear" genus are related

the drop bears are far more fearsome ...they are well known to the backpacker community that visits our sunny shores .......they have a reputation for liking one of our favorite poisons ...namely "bundaberg rum " a trully home grown outfit....but their reputaion is held in high esteeme amongst all of our fellow "bastards" (aussie term of endeerment ) that have ever frequented a public bar ,,,,,at any stage in their life ...for we all know and understand the dangers of camping out at night especially after the pubs close . funny how female back packers seem to attract so many , i believe there is ongoing research .

but there are far more scarey things in this big brown land of ours ..
besides the awesome female version of the "drop bears "........omg i still tremble when i think of that ...in fact im sure there was a family incident that may have affected the progeny of my ex wifes parents ........shhh best not to mention that

i guess you northerners have to remember that we are a relativly "young "country ..and many things have happend in the not so recent past that we are kind of shy about . Western District Ride, Victoria Oz  76715

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Charlie,

merely a five footer he say's Very Happy yeah I bet you guys need eyes in the back of your head's never mind the ritual of checking boots clothes and any where else something can hide.

BIG D

I can take all manner of hoppy-skippy, crawly, or slithery things that abound in 'our faire countree', even tho' they can potentially bite and sting or smash you to the ground as you motor along unawares. It's the 55 kilo female version driving a 2 tonne 'SUV' packed full of screaming progeny with mobile phone implanted in her ear, one hand on the wheel or applying her 'face' in the mirror, bearing down on me on the motorway. It scares the shite out of me! That sort of dangerous creature appears every single bright day or sneaks up on you in the dark of night. I might spy a deadly snake once or twice a year. 'Roos are slightly more frequent, however. Sharks? More people die each year from coconuts landing on their konk than shark bites. But it's not exciting enough for the news. Strewth, mates.

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
BIG D wrote:Cool

Dee, I enjoyed that you guys are giving me an almighty itch thats just got to be scratched, I noticed on the map Grampians national park I wonder where that name originated from Very Happy .

BIG D

Big D,

Yea right.

I worked with an colleague from Edinburgh for 12 months here in
Melbourne. Took him and family on a few drives to places like the
Pentland Hills on the way to Ballarat and Arthur's Seat down on the
Mornington Peninsula. Then 2 years later he took me for a drive around
Edinburgh. Boy did I feel like an idiot!

That's when I also discovered Linkwood single malt and made not too far from you.

Cheers,

Dee Why

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better wrote:I can take all manner of hoppy-skippy, crawly, or slithery things that abound in 'our faire countree', even tho' they can potentially bite and sting or smash you to the ground as you motor along unawares. It's the 55 kilo female version driving a 2 tonne 'SUV' packed full of screaming progeny with mobile phone implanted in her ear, one hand on the wheel or applying her 'face' in the mirror, bearing down on me on the motorway. It scares the shite out of me! That sort of dangerous creature appears every single bright day or sneaks up on you in the dark of night. I might spy a deadly snake once or twice a year. 'Roos are slightly more frequent, however. Sharks? More people die each year from coconuts landing on their konk than shark bites. But it's not exciting enough for the news. Strewth, mates.

Cool

You make a very valid point, the main critters I have to look out for are Deer and suicidal pheasants Very Happy

BIG D

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
dee why wrote:
BIG D wrote:Cool

BIG D

Big D,

Yea right.

I worked with an colleague from Edinburgh for 12 months here in
Melbourne. Took him and family on a few drives to places like the
Pentland Hills on the way to Ballarat and Arthur's Seat down on the
Mornington Peninsula. Then 2 years later he took me for a drive around
Edinburgh. Boy did I feel like an idiot!

That's when I also discovered Linkwood single malt and made not too far from you.

Cheers,

Dee Why

Cool

Eye your right Dee Moray the county of the silky smooth neck oil, by the way your hand protectors are they BMW GS type perhaps.

BIG D

dee why

dee why
Gold member
Gold member
Yes, GS hand protectors Big D.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum