BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Bubbles in the overflow bottle Empty Bubbles in the overflow bottle Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:55 pm

KevH

KevH
Gday all, well i have the old girl back running and have done a couple of quick road tests.  I have noticed i have bubbles in the coolant that i can see in the clear tube on the overflow bottle.  The oil looks good still (only new)  i have done the water/oil pump seals.  

A little background the bike sat for 21yrs in the corner of my shed after i parked her.  (long story).  I have got her running, and she sounds and feels like i remember but the bubbles are a concern.  After a 50km run with some gentle hills and a couple of nice straights i brought her home to fine slow bubbles in the sight tube, they settled and appeared again after i revved the engine.  Also has a very slow oil weep above the oil/water pump, nothing to serious and after wiped it stayed dry while parked, i am assuming it is the timing chain cover gasket?? 

Any one have any previous knowledge of the unwanted bubbles???

Cheers KevBubbles in the overflow bottle 20231012

2Back to top Go down   Bubbles in the overflow bottle Empty Bubbles Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:53 am

daveyson

daveyson
Life time member
Life time member
When you refill the coolant you want to pour it in very slowly to minimise the possibility of air locks. Then with the tank back and coolant cap still off, start the engine to let it self bleed until you think all bubbles are out, then top it up, and give that a go.

Tell us anyway why you let it sit for 21 years.

3Back to top Go down   Bubbles in the overflow bottle Empty Re: Bubbles in the overflow bottle Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:13 am

KevH

KevH
Rode it up from Western NSW, and didn't have the time to ride so got put in the corner. Never had the coin, then time..... etc etc. Semi retired January and doing a trip to the Burt Munroe classic next Feb and riding one of my brothers Rocket 3, so thought I has better get my arse tuned in and brought her out of moth balls. I have time to ride now.. did the bleed thing maybe not enough maybe, will keep an eye on it.. 👍👍

4Back to top Go down   Bubbles in the overflow bottle Empty Re: Bubbles in the overflow bottle Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:30 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
Bubbles in the expansion tank are a sign that the radiator cap is either stuck rubber valves (spring loaded ) in the  cap or missing seal between the neck  and the radiator cap....
Usually when refilling the fluids the system needs to be burped....   that is fill to top of neck ...or just below whilst on center stand then rock the bike towards left hand side ....you should see the fluid burp down into the system ...topup   and do it a few times to evacuate the air......

Hope that helps

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Bubbles in the overflow bottle Empty Re: Bubbles in the overflow bottle Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:43 pm

KevH

KevH
Yep, noticed the level in the new sight tube is down a bit... 👍👍 oil weep looks near hall sensor cover... rego booked on Wednesday, taking some paper towel and will have to sort it layer

6Back to top Go down   Bubbles in the overflow bottle Empty Re: Bubbles in the overflow bottle Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:45 pm

KevH

KevH
Bubbles in the overflow bottle 20231110

Paper towel  worked  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil   ,  new radiator cap ordered.   New cam chain and guides on the way.  Nearly time to make some miles.

Whats everyone using for helmet speaker/blue tooth??  looked a BMW stuff and Cardo...  mainly for phone,  google maps and calls.  I used to struggle with music and riding years ago....  maybe now im 'older'  i wont be so aggresive... lol
Cheers all

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum