BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   1985 K100RS. Swing arm bearing play. Empty 1985 K100RS. Swing arm bearing play. Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:52 pm

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
I'm just doing some winter maintenance and I have the swing arm out for the first time in 4 years to check the bearings. I noticed that when I stick my finger in the center of either one, I can wobble them around pretty good. They also have a tiny bit of play pulling straight out and a bit of a clicking sound. When I push my finger straight in, there is no play whatsoever (as if they are preloaded) and they are completely smooth when I rotate them with no notchiness whatsoever.

How much play, if any, should these have?

Thanks,
Tom

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
There is a procedure for torquing the left side swing arm bearing that you can find in any of the shop manuals.  You tighten the Allen screw to the specified torque and then tighten the lock nut while holding the Allen screw.  That will take out the bearing play. 

There are torque specs for both(I think the spec for the screw is something like 7ft-lb I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but I only use the spec for the screw.  Then, I just hold the screw with an Allen wrench while I crank the lock nut with a box wrench.  Just don't go nuts on it.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

RS Rider

RS Rider
Gold member
Gold member
Point-Seven-five,

Thanks for the reply. I am familiar with the procedure. I guess I never paid enough attention 4 years ago when I first had it out to notice this. My first thought was that the procedure would take out the play.

Clymer states 6.8 to 7.8 Nm ( 5 to 5.6 ft/lbs) for the adjustable pivot pin and 39-44 Nm for its locknut.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum