BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Paralever tapered roller bearing  Empty Paralever tapered roller bearing Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:42 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I am fitting a K1 paralever rear drive to a K100 and find the tapered roller bearing of the rear drive swing arm joint is in need of replacement and am finding it inpossible to source a non genuine bearing.
Have any of you people any clues on where I may find one. The old one is too badly rusted to be any good at all, thanks to a previous owner who didn't know about maintenence.

The K Freak

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Does it have a number on the race? Often you can source bearings by the number, and find a great replacement aftermarket, and cheaper. If no number, can you take it to a bearing specialty shop. They should have no problem finding you another one.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
This link was running as a banner at the top of this page:

http://www.impactbearing.com/

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
club_c wrote:Does it have a number on the race? Often you can source bearings by the number, and find a great replacement aftermarket, and cheaper. If no number, can you take it to a bearing specialty shop. They should have no problem finding you another one.

It has a number and I have contacted many bearing speciality places only to be told that FAG who was as far as they know the only manufacturer no longer make them and that genuine would be the only source.
I have tried several BMW dealers only to be told that BMW no longer have them and to get an after market from a bearing speciality place, and round I go.

I can't even find anything close so as to make it fit with a bit of machining work.

I am not sure what the later types have but I thought that they may all be the same size. Knowing BMW Ha Ha Ha

The K Freak

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Have you tried googling the bearing number including FAG with it?

You said, "tapered roller bearing of the rear drive swing arm joint".

Would this be number 11, BMW part number 33 17 2 311 091 which is 10x32x17mm and FAG number 10-646SA?
Paralever tapered roller bearing  Parale10

If so, try Motobins in the UK , part number 27515 for £16.

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
He said it's from a K1. Would it be different than a K100?

This particular bearing is as common as dog shit and hasn't been changed from the early Paralever Ks to the Oilheads. If it's this one I'm surprised no BMW dealer can get it. I used to stock ten of 'em at least. But if it's not this one then we start again.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:You said, "tapered roller bearing of the rear drive swing arm joint".

Would this be number 11, BMW part number 33 17 2 311 091 which is 10x32x17mm and FAG number 10-646SA?

If so, try Motobins in the UK , part number 27515 for £16.

Yep that's the one. Seems that M & W are too lazy to even look. And the BM Shop well his prices ouch.
I was seeing the part No as 10-6465A so that is maybe why. I just checked and it is definately a 5 not S.

Thanks I shall get on to Motobins or even Motorworks and see how it goes.

K Freak

Ring this bloke tomorrow, a bit later than sparrow fart though...he's out the back of Mt Tamborine near Canungra...Ray Peake on 5543 5962. He will answer gruffly. Introduce yourself as a BMW rider needing spare parts. He'll have one or two or know straight away where to get them. Good luck.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Two Wheels Better wrote:Ring this bloke tomorrow, a bit later than sparrow fart though...he's out the back of Mt Tamborine near Canungra...Ray Peake on 5543 5962. He will answer gruffly. Introduce yourself as a BMW rider needing spare parts. He'll have one or two or know straight away where to get them. Good luck.

I didn't think of ray as he is more a boxer man but the two intertwine there so I shall give him a go.

Thanks very much

The K Freak

The Paralever on the R100R and the R100GS & PD models uses the very same bearing. But, yeah, most associate old Ray as an Airhead sorta bloke. Ever see his turbo - injected - R100 in a K-bike frame with K-RS fairing? Awesomeness.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well I gave up the hunt for aftermarket bearings and just ordered from motobins.
But $30 odd for what is esentially a small tapered roller bearing is a bit rich but I suppose it's the old gotcha over the barrel trick. Rolling Eyes

It does seem rather 'spendy' for such a small, insignificant appearing bearing, but it is sealed and it is load bearing. The two of them handle everything that final drive hanging on the back end of the Paralever throw at them. They're now US$43.00. That's what I like about the boys at the 'Bins, they have it or can get it and it'll save you some money. If you tried to source them at the dealer here, what are they going for Down Under these days?

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Others seem to have replaced the bearings with bronze bushes with succes.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Paralever tapered roller bearing  Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

I s'pose there are a variety of reasons people might conjure up in order to scrimp and save where necessary. I think it's not much money to have it working effectively and as 'como dios manda' (as it was intended). But that's me.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I have been involved with that type of engineering most of my life and it did strike me that it is a small and insufficient bearing for the stresses that it takes but looking at it from the size angle it is difficult to use a substantially bigger bearing.
I did consider going a bit bigger but setting it up accurately under the mill would involve making a very elaborate jig and could take days to make so in the end I ran with the original bearing.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum