BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Turn Signal Cables Cut Empty Turn Signal Cables Cut Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:21 am

iiXioM

Little info on this bike.

Its an 85 K100RT. The original owner dropped the bike and destroyed the front fairing, and so now theres a cafe racer-esque front fairing, with no blinkers in the front. Because of this, the blinkers are no longer working (they were cut, and do not have front blinkers). I took off the cluser/fairing and found 2 sets of 3 cables that are cut, which i guess are the turn signals. What is the best way to tackle this? I have a spare set of cheap blinkers to test with that work, but I can't get them to work. Do all 4 blinkers need to be connected to create a complete circuit, or is there 2 separate loops for each blinker?

Also seems when the front brake lever is engaged, the brake light doesn't light up. But this will be next on the list!

Here is what the bike looks like currently.
Turn Signal Cables Cut K100s

2Back to top Go down   Turn Signal Cables Cut Empty Re: Turn Signal Cables Cut Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The Left and Right circuits are seperate and have the flasher relay in common. The Left wire is Blue with a Red trace and has a Brown earth with it the right is Blue with a Black trace and a brown earth with it.
You will need to have the front and rear connected to make either side work but the right will work even if the left is disconnected and vice versa.
If you are using LED lights they won't flash because the LEDs don't draw enough power to work the relay.

It is possible that the third wire is for the brake and the color will be a Green with a Black trace and a Gray with a Red trace.

Hope this helps

Rick

3Back to top Go down   Turn Signal Cables Cut Empty Re: Turn Signal Cables Cut Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:52 am

Brake Light Switch Diagnosis: Pull the two-wire plug off the front brake light switch harness and with the key in the on position, using a paperclip or a short piece of wire, connect the wires of the harness together. Does the brake light come on and then go off again when you disconnect them? The switch is bad. It is part number 61 31 1 459 569 and should be less than US$30 from the dealer. Alternatively Motobins have one for £16.75 and it's part number 75230.

On the indicator wires...be sure you don't attempt to connect the left and right dual horn harnesses to the indicators as they are of similar gage but K Freak got the colours right for you.

4Back to top Go down   Turn Signal Cables Cut Empty Re: Turn Signal Cables Cut Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:15 am

iiXioM

That is superb information. Thank you both very much. This will help me out ten-fold. When i saw the cables my first thought was "the heck am i going to do with this?" But this sets me in the right direction.

Speaking of horn...i think the bike is either missing a horn or isn't connected. The horn button doesn't work either!

5Back to top Go down   Turn Signal Cables Cut Empty Re: Turn Signal Cables Cut Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Check the fuses and then look for the horn relay. The Haynes manual has a wiring harness diagramme to refer to for its location under the front end of the seat/back end of the petrol tank. Good luck there.

6Back to top Go down   Turn Signal Cables Cut Empty Re: Turn Signal Cables Cut Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:12 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
There is an excellent circuit diagram in colour for early K's done by the inestimable Bert which is in the download section.
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum