BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Greetings from Ohio! Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Syncronaut

I would like to introduce myself. My name is Brett Fairbanks and I live and work in Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A. I just bought my first K bike, an '86 K100. The bike runs really well, but has various plastic bits missing and needs tires. The bike appears to be a standard model, but today I received the title and it says it's an RT. I'm sure the forum members will be able to help me sort that out. The bike has a round headlight but is missing the radiator shrouding and the side panels.

I like to do my own maintenace so I'm gathering the bits I need to get all the old fluids replaced. I work on German cars for a living, so I really like the way the K-bike is engineered, very much like a car and quite different than my last bike, a Ducati E900 Elefant. I look forward to learning from the wisdom of the list and I'm anxious to get the new bike sorted and on the road.

Cheers,

Brett

2Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi Brett. Welcome to the forum. Grab the VIN off the bike and take it with you to www.realoem.com enter the site and type in the number portion of your VIN on the page you come to...you may have the US 17 digit type starting with WB so type in just the last seven digits. The catalogue will tell you which model your bike was originally, never fail.

The New South Wales RTA (Dept of MV) has my bike listed as a 1988 K1100R (who ever hoid o' such a thing!?) and I can't get them to correct it! Cheers.

Last edited by Two Wheels Better on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

3Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:01 pm

Syncronaut

Thanks for the link! I went to the site, entered the last seven of my VIN and it gives me this:

11/1985 K589 K 100 RT 84 (0504,0505,0514) USA

I guess I am missing quite a bit of plastic on this bike!

4Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:07 pm

Yep, I'd say so. Someone wanted to (or had to) get naked and your bike was the result. Wink

5Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcom aboard brett.....

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:19 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to have you with us Brett, and working on cars for a living is perfect experience because the K has (apart from the two wheels) so much in common with cars that makes working on them quite similar.
Regards,
K-BIKE

7Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Mattonevolante

Mattonevolante
Hallo Syncronaut,
and welcome in this forum.
Let us see some pictures of your bike. It must be very much like that I had years ago (photos posted in bike photos room) ... if it not was for the missing body.
Ciao from Italy

8Back to top Go down   Greetings from Ohio! Empty Re: Greetings from Ohio! Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Greetings Brett,
Welcome to the forum.

BIG D

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum