BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Delayed in Columbus Ohio Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 pm

veets

veets
I'm new to the K100 Motorcycle and after riding it across 2/3 of the US, I ran into a major problem:  White smoke coming out of the exhaust and then it just died at a stop sign.  It felt like it ran out of gas but the tank is full.  

Background:  The night before I ran into a big storm and the bike and I got completely soaked.  At that time, the generator light came on and seemed not to be charging.  The next day, I was able to disconnect all of the wiring to the battery wipe it down, put on dielectric grease, and reconnected all of the wires.  That seemed to fix the charging problem.  I rode it around for about 1/2 hour and I noticed a little white smoke when I first started out but it quickly went away.

Later that next day, when I tried starting it, more white smoke came out and then stalled at the stop sign.  If I try to start it now, it does not turn over, only drips gas out of the pipe connection just below the foot pegs.

I am assuming this is not a good sign but need to figure out my course of action.  Any ideas on what it might be?

Veets

2Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Re: Delayed in Columbus Ohio Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You need to check the coolant level as what you are saying is classic of a leaking head gasket.
Pull the plugs and check for coolant in one or more cylinders and check in the coolant tank for oil (unlikely but always on the cards)
If left on the side stand you will get the blueish smoke from oil but white usually means coolant in the combustion chambers.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Re: Delayed in Columbus Ohio Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:42 pm

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
Is it possible that the drain hole on the water pump is blocked by mud wasps from sitting? and water could be getting past the seal into the engine? worth checking.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

4Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Re: Delayed in Columbus Ohio Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Does the fuel filler cap flip back toward the seat when open?  If not, it's on backwards and could allow water into the tank.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

5Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Delayed in Columbus Ohio Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:07 pm

veets

veets
I have pulled the plugs and cannot see any coolant in the cylinders (though it is difficult to see much at all).  What is a good way to determine if coolant is in the cylinders?

When I crank the engine, a lot of fuel begins leaking out of the pipes.  I have collected the fuel in a glass container and cannot see any water or coolant in it.  It is just a little dirty because of coming through the muffler.

Any ideas?

Veets

6Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Re: Delayed in Columbus Ohio Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:10 pm

veets

veets
Gas cap is on correctly.  I don't think there is any water in the gas tank because what I collect from the pipes is all gas.

7Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty No Longer Delayed in Columbus Ohio Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:46 pm

veets

veets
On the road again

Not sure but I think the gas coming out the pipes was due to some kind of clog or something. I was trying to check to see if there was antifreeze or water into the cylinders so I first cycled the crank a number of times and collected the gas coming out the pipes to check for water/AF but none. When I pulled the plugs out and turned the crank, the gas stopped coming out of the pipes. I checked the spark on each and it was ok. Put it back together and turned over. No smoke so took it for a ride. No problems so hopped on and drove 450 miles to Allentown PA. Just arrived!

Thanks for all the help! 😀

8Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Re: Delayed in Columbus Ohio Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:49 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Alls well that ends well glad it wasn't anything serious but it would be good to find what it was that caused it.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

9Back to top Go down   Delayed in Columbus Ohio Empty Re: Delayed in Columbus Ohio Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:13 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
veets wrote:Gas cap is on correctly.  I don't think there is any water in the gas tank because what I collect from the pipes is all gas.
That's not necessarily the case. Water is heavier than fuel so its propably found its way into the sump along with a good dose of fuel i'd say.
As its now rectified itself its unlikely to be head gasket (unlikely in any event) so the only logical cause would be water in the fuel especially considering the downpour. Even if your filler cap is on the right way round, if the filler cap gasket has fallen apart, as they commonly do being so old, in a downpour you'll get enough water in the tank to get sucked up by the pump.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Delayed in Columbus Ohio Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum