BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Hello from Iowa. Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Gsak

Just saying hi. New to BMW's and really been off of road bikes since my early twenties, (twenty years or better). Purchased a 85 K100 that had been sitting for eight or nine years and just got it running!! Still a few issues, but it is running quite nicely. The bike came with, what I think is a R-? fairing that was in pieces, so not sure if I'm going to try to find an original RS or just piece something together. Any suggestions? Thanks for reading.

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:49 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the nut house that is this forum!

As for the fairing, it depends on how much you want to spend and possibly how long you want to keep the bike and what the weather is like where you live. I like original bikes, but that's just me.
Horses for courses.

The only things I know about Iowa is what I learnt from listening to Radar on M.A.S.H. Embarassed

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:42 am

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
I'd go original. Bolts up way easier than retrofitting an R fairing or similar. If you've been around these bikes for a bit, then you know what to look for when retrofitting. Being new to the brand you won't know what you don't know, and then it just becomes a money pit. Those fairings seem sorta reasonable on ebay occasionally. You might find someone here with one available. Was it a naked K, or an RS before? Does it have the fairng brackets, etc?

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hiya gsak.....welcome aboard !!! lots of 85-86s around here

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:27 am

The weekend I spent at Spirit Lake IA back in '98 was one of the longest, most enjoyable weekends I've ever had. Heaps of fun. How'd the Mississippi floods this season go for you, Gsak? Welcome to the forum.

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:27 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
Cool

Hi Gsak, welcome to the forum look forward to some pictures of the bike.

BIG D

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Gsak

Thanks for the welcomes, pictures to follow this evening. I really like the original small fairing and radiator scoops, but having trouble finding them. Was looking for a GS when a co-worker told me he had this sitting for years, so I bought it, kinda growing on me. I want to ride from Alaska to the Florida Keys within the next 4-5 years.

two wheels better- Mississippi flooding not as bad as other years, the other side of the state (Missouri river) way worse this year than us.

Club c- I think someone has already bastardised the mounting and headlight (I'll take pictures) already, so not sure of direction to take.

blakey- Don't forget, Riverside Iowa (about an hour away) is the future birth place of James T. Kirk of Star Trek fame.Ha.

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:51 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome on board Gsak! Looking forward to the pics of your new ride.

OG

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:43 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
Study the diagrams at realoem.com (archived section). You'll see what you have and what you need.

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:52 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Oldgoat

Oldgoat
Life time member
Life time member
Wow, nice find C! Good price and looks to be in decent shape. Cool

OG

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa. Empty Re: Hello from Iowa. Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Gsak

Wow, that was not on there yesterday. That's the one, I'll keep you posted, Thanks!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum