BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Hello from Iowa, USA Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:56 pm

DougK56

Hi. Just bought my first BMW, a K100RS, here in Iowa, USA. This machine has 130,000 miles and looks tough...I'll be re-painting. Seems to work and run well. Can someone tell me what the most critical parts to inspect and maintain at this mileage? Are their oem parts manuals available? Who sells a muffler shield worth the money? Did I pay too much? The fairing looks to be a bear to take off and on, and it appears that will probably happen often for repair and maintenance. What is the the simplest order to remove? Top to bottom? Is it possible to remove some parts of the fairing, while leaving the rest alone? I wonder too how this motorcycle would look and work, if I installed only the headlight fairing part. Has anyone tried to lower the seat height by cutting off an inch or two of the rear shock coil spring? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks a million.

2Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Doug,

Welcome to THE forum.

You ask a lot of questions:

First, the price was right as you didn't tell us what you paid for. Wink
The critical parts are the splines on the drive shaft and clutch. Depending of what has been done on the bike, I would look at the clutch, the seal in the water pump (If its not leaking don't touch it), timing chain and tensioner.
You should replace all fluids and filters (gas and oil). I believe that the RS fairing is the same as the RT and you can remove the lower parts with removing the upper fairing.
On the RT, if you want to ride without the lower fairing, you have to remove the front part in front of the radiator. It doesn't look right at all without this part.
I do not recommend to cut the coil spring. The shock will not work correctly after. To lower the bike, the only good solution is to install a low seat.

Bert

3Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Oops! Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:29 pm

DougK56

I gave $1300. Thank you for all the good information Bert. Had to start somewhere and will take care of first things before second things. Do you often need to take parts of your fairing off? When you do, which are the most likely? Probably the bottom I'd think, but getting to the battery looks like a sore spot. These sure are built for tall people. I'm only 5'7", and a lower seat still isn't low enough. I'm going to try cutting the coiled spring about an inch and a half down. I know this can effect handling, ride, and most importantly safety. After I know it goes, I'll post what happens. I knew it was too much for me, but always wanted to try a BMW, and everything I looked at was too tall for me. I'll be doing some research on inspecting the clutch and drive-shaft. That really doesn't sound like too much for such a special machine, and hope I can make caring for it a joy. I also have a 2005 Harley Sportster and a 750 Yamaha. The BMW fits in as my lomg distance carrier, and if I leave the fairing on, and it looks like I will need to, it will probably extend my motorcycle season an extra month or two, as it seems this would be pretty good in colder weather. We'll see this Fall. If the drive-shaft splines get worn too much, can anything semi-castrophic happen, or do you just have to start walking? Thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated your reply to me. Doug K.

4Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Parts Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:41 pm

DougK56

Does anyone know where I can buy or download something that lists all the oem parts with their numbers? I'm quite far away from a BMW dealer, and it would make it mch easier to get the right parts. Thank you. Doug

5Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:53 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Doug and welcome and questions one at a time please as none of us are getting any younger and we have most likely forgotten the first by the time we have read the last. Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_biggrin

If you have a look on the portal you will find a link to a web page with various sites for mail ordering of parts. BikeBandit for example has a nice breakdown of all parts in a microfiche type layout that makes identifying and ordering very easy.

On the minus side however the numbers will not necessarily correlate with other sites when ordering parts.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Phil

6Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:48 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Doug,
Yes welcome Buddy.....Now the "King" Crazy Frog has a download page that has most of your questions answers...he evidently is too modest to tell you about it. After signing in on the Home page at the bottom you will find it.
Have a look here. www.motobins.co.uk they post overseas and a lot cheaper than most..you can even get good secondhand parts...
The lower seat should suit 5ft-7ins..that isn't a short arse but average height here.
Chear Ajays.

AJAYS

7Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Doug,

I have just spent the past 18 months investigating and then co-developing shox for Kays - including a 1" shorter version for the vertically challenged. Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_wink

I am 5'-11" but with a 29.5" inside leg. After playing tippy toes and nearly falling twice when coming to a stop, I decided to do something about it.

After a lot of research and work on a jig table, we found 1" was about the optimum to shorten the shock - that together with a lower seat should do the job.

I would NOT recommend altering your OEM shock in any way. You may be able to touch the floor with your feet - but there's a good chance you'll be touching with more of your body due to the inevitable ill handling. Chances are the shock is past it's sell by date anyway with that kind of mileage.

There are specially developed 1" shorter shox on the market from a number of sources. I'd make that a priority bfore spending money in any other area.

After I have checked the protocol on this site - you may well find there's a 10% discount from one manufacturer for Club/Forum users for a suitable unit.

Re: naked - works for me as I have never liked fairings, but then I'm a leisure only rider these days, so don't need the protection a fairing will give from the elements.

You WILL be amazed at how much smaller the bike feels without all the tupperware AND the bonus of being considerably lighter. Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_lol Look at pix of the base K100 to get an idea of what the bike will look like. You can always use aftermarket / other marque headlamps and so on.

The Kays have a well deserved reputation as a mile munching tourer - then there are others like me who like to play..................... Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_twisted Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_twisted

8Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:54 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
I have just spent the past 18 months investigating and then co-developing shox for Kays - including a 1" shorter version for the vertically challenged. Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_wink

I am 5'-11" but with a 29.5" inside leg. After playing tippy toes and nearly falling twice when coming to a stop, I decided to do something about it.

Beachy,
I love it...polite...but I had to smile at the 29."5" inside leg...I thought I was a funny shape.
Cheers Ajays

AJAYS

9Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:32 am

beachcomber

beachcomber
Silver member
Silver member
It's been the bane of my life Ajays [ shape].

When I was extremely fit [ up to 10 years ago ] and actively playing American Football my Chest size was 50" waist 38" [ can't have everything! ] and my neck went up to 22". Today that's 48",42" and 20" - everything seems to be slowly slipping south ! Imagine shopping for suits/jackets? Well actually I gave up - hence my current daily attire of long shorts, flip-flops and a Tee shirt! Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_lol

"Smart" dress is my Crawford Kilt and accessories and recently purchased "Prince Charles" formal jacket [ we're off to a wedding].

On the plus side - I haven't had too many people wanting to take liberties with me ! Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_wink That's liberties in the strict sense and not the post war down the Portobello Road liberties- duckie. Hello from Iowa, USA Icon_cool

10Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:41 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
beachcomber wrote:Hi Doug,
After I have checked the protocol on this site - you may well find there's a 10% discount from one manufacturer for Club/Forum users for a suitable unit.

It is totally acceptable for a member to advertise a product or a dealer on this forum. I want to restrict advertisement to members and WILL NOT ALLOW dealers to advertise on their own (at the exception of a member riding a K and having his own business) . The product or service have to be recognized by member(s) to be something of good quality/good price.
In fact, if a member finds a good reliable supplier, we want to hear from him.

This week end I am planning to add a new link on the page.
A company proposed to give discounts to forum members if I put a link to they business. The very positive side is that they guaranty a low shipping cost of $25 worldwide.

Here is what they send me (I did inquire about this partnership for the forum users)
"We would be pleased to form a partnership with your K100RT forum. Touring and BMW riders are a community we've intended to reach out to more, and this would be a perfect opportunity. Our "forum discount" is a discount which ranges between 15%-50% off our online catalog prices; it's extended only to members of motorcycle forums we've partnered with, and it includes a host of parts and accessories which aren't listed on our online catalog. If you chose to partner with us, all your forum members would be welcome to this discount."

You can see their catalog here

Bert

11Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Thanks fellas. Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:57 pm

DougK56

Phil, Aays, beachcomber, and Bert,

All of you put me in a pretty good mood. Phil, I'm an old guy too, 54, and some times forget things, repeat myself, forget things, and say things twice. Nice to hear from a kindred spirit! Ajays, I'll be looking at that motobin site, and am also going to look up where you're from. At 5'7", I'm nearly a dwarf here. Perhaps one of your homeliest widows would dance with me. beachcomber, that's enough bragging of your sturdy sveldt masculine figure. I remember days when I too was built so well..... but never flaunted. And your post keeps my mind open to ditching the fairing. I've never had a fairing, have never really lusted for one, but am anxious to see if the weather protection is worthwhile. When I was in my teens I favored street legal Yamaha dirt-bikes, and even below zero would get out and ride. Now, even with a windshield I'm pretty selective. Sure miss that youthful enthusiasm, even though I don't get beat up nearly so often. Also, what outfit do you have a shock absorber relationship with? I make a point to help the people that help me. Bert...same thing, I'll be watching for that link and will do my best to spend some money with them. Feels good to puchase from friends. Sure feels nice to get all of you talking to me. Wish I could reciprocate. In the mean time I'll make a conscious effort to treat something especiallydecent with you in mind. Best wishes, Doug K.

12Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Re: Hello from Iowa, USA Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Doug,
Ajays, I'll be looking at that motobin site, and am also going to look
up where you're from.

Under my picture you will see a blue circle, click this and it will go to my site and my bikes.
You are in good company here.
Ajays.
BTW Beachcomber can supply ig-leads, shockers etc. at discount.

AJAYS

13Back to top Go down   Hello from Iowa, USA Empty Ajays Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:05 pm

DougK56

Verynuch enjoyed h pictures. All beautiful bikes...never seen one with two front wheels. Really liked the older picture of your youth. You look so happy, care-free, satisfied, and a little wild too. Doug

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum