BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Spark Plugs not sparking Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 pm

chronostorm

Hey guys, I finally got the fuel system working on my K100 (injectors spray fuel now Very Happy) but I think my spark plugs don't work properly-there's no spark at all. Can somebody walk me through troubleshooting steps for this problem? Thanks a lot!

2Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:34 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
hi chrono ....good start..

the coils are a double ended type so you will need to have at least one end touching earth on each coil pack .
i seem to remember that its 1 and 4 and 2 and 3

so worst case is to tie some copper cable round all the plugs earthy side and attach it to some earth on the bike ...before you can get a reaction ....
i guess that might be something that the average folks might miss

hope that helps

3Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:17 am

chronostorm

Hmm, let me see if I'm understanding correctly. As long as either 1 or 4 are grounded, there should be a spark firing? If that's the case, then it should be working, since I only pulled out one spark plug, and didn't see any spark with it Sad

4Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:27 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You need to have both grounded. It is what is called a wasted spark system, there is a plug at each end of the coil and the spark goes from one end through a plug to the engine the back through the other plug and back to the other end of the coil. The plugs fire on the top of the compression stroke and then on top of the exhaust stroke hence the term wasted spark. When No1 is at the top of the exhaust stroke No4 is at the top of the compression stroke and the same for No2 and No3.

I do hope this has not confused you.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:29 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
well yeah ...maybe i should rephrase this,, connect the one thats off to earth as well

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:35 am

chronostorm

ah, ok. Got it. Thanks guys Smile

I'll test this out soon. It's 4 am right now Razz

7Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 pm

club_c

club_c
Life time member
Life time member
CS, make sure your coils are properly connected to the plugs. I don't know the history of your bike, but the last one I bought was a non runner, and the coil to plugs leads were a mess, all mixed up.

1988 K100RS SE VIN 01477554

8Back to top Go down   Spark Plugs not sparking Empty Re: Spark Plugs not sparking Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:25 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
CS its alittle off topic but I found it easier to use two old jumper lead clamps joined together as the earth and plug holder all rolled into one glamping one to an engine bolt and the plug goes in the other also makes it easier to see the spark if its sheltered in such a device. regards Keith

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum