BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:52 am

nick

nick
I am in the process of installing a new clutch friction plate and while tightening the the bolts for the cover plate one sheared in half. I had the torque wrench set a 10 ft/lbs at the time but for some reason it sheared in the middle of the bolt. I took everything back apart and I was able to remove the rest of the bolt which was only finger tight. Any ideas on what might cause this to happen or what I am doing wrong?

2Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm

yankeeone

Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi, was the bolt new? everyone says to use new bolts and washers each time you put the pack back on.
Brian

3Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:33 pm

nick

nick
No, they are the original bolts. I wondered if I should replace them but the manual didn't mention that.

Thanks, Nick

4Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:32 pm

BMW recommend them to be one-use bolts. We always replace them when disassembling the clutch.

5Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:31 pm

elle

elle
Silver member
Silver member
also new clutch o ring and main clutch nut.

pete

6Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
They are 7mmx1mm thread. Get some with a hex head and you can multi use them and not shag the head getting them out. They are not easy to find but persist.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:28 pm

otto59

Silver member
Silver member
Had the same problem with my rear brake rotor bolts. Make sure you clean out the threads (with the same size tap?) Mine were full of old thread locker.

8Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:48 am

pjjms

Silver member
Silver member
What are BMW thinking using 7mm bolts? I have an old Citroen which has the same size right through the engine, and they are a pain in the butt to find, and just to make it harder in my case they also have an odd head size.

9Back to top Go down   Clutch installation problem Empty Re: Clutch installation problem Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:07 am

pjjms wrote:What are BMW thinking using 7mm bolts?

So some silly bugger doesn't go out and use a too-soft bolt and cause himself catastrophic failure inside the bellhousing as he motors 'innocently' (should that be ignorantly?) down the motorway when those bolts shear off. Ask your local nut and bolt specialty house for something with a decent hardness rate.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum